Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano hydraulic brakes road shifters
  • cchris2lou

Do the above exist in 10 speed ?

in DI2 ?

simondbarnes

No

cyclistm
    Free Member

As teeto, my understanding is they are switchable between 10 and 11

cchris2lou

Thanks, will drop Merlin an email.

simondbarnes

It does appear that I was wrong regarding the di2 ones. Definitely no mechanical option.

cchris2lou

It says 11 speed, are you sure they work with 10?

otsdr
    Free Member

As far as I know the Shimano DI2 parts only work in certain combinations, because they switched protocols and stuff as the technology “progressed”. It would have been nice if you could just wire things up and have them understand each other, but that is probably not the case.

So, as it stands, no hydraulics for 10 speed.

l.e: Oh, and there’s this gem: “Note: As of 8/3/14 firmware updates from Shimano remove the functionality between 6770 and 6870/9070 electronic components being used together. Some previous firmware versions allowed the below conversion to function without replacing the front derailleur, but firmware being installed as of 8/3/14 will irreversibly render such a mixed system dysfunctional. As of 8/3/14, a 6870 front and rear derailleur are both required to allow 6770 shift levers to work with an 11 speed cassette.”
    http://fitwerx.com/converting-shimano-ultegra-6770-di2-to-11-speed/

l.l.e: Vaguely related – https://twitter.com/internetofshit

simondbarnes

They’re very much 11 speed Nick. I have them.

cchris2lou

Might have to see if I can change the freewheel on my Novatec hubs to take 11 speed then.

Thanks for all the answers.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ah yes, good point, well presented Simon.. 😳

ransos
    Free Member

Might have to see if I can change the freewheel on my Novatec hubs to take 11 speed then.

You may well be able to: I did the conversion on my Ambrosio hub, which is made by Novatec. A small amount of wheel re-dishing was required.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Just leave a cog off the cassette.

bobley
    Free Member

What rear hub do you have. I had 712s and 772s. You can fit an 11 speed freehub to a 712 but the back of the cassette rubs on the spokes. The 772 is 11 speed as std and you wont need to change the spokes.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Just leave a cog off the cassette.

This works. I’m running the BR-R685 mechanical hydraulic set with the 14t (I think) removed, and an extra spacer slotted in. Seemed to shift okay on the two rides I’ve done thus far. My Stans wheel has a free hub which isn’t upgradeable to 11 speed, but I wanted the hydro caliper. This will do me until I need new wheels.

genubah
    Free Member

I was under the impression that any shifters (except, of course, the 7970 ones) can be used as long as the front and rear mechs are matched (either both 10 speed or both 11 speed). The mechs define whether it’s 10 or 11 speed. Source

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano hydraulic brakes road shifters’ is closed to new replies.