Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano hub bearings, and Halfords…..
  • PTR
    Free Member

I’ve just been helping to change and grease the bearings in a Shimano rear hub. This involved a trip to Halfords, the only place open at the time, we were sold caged bearings. I’ve never seen or heard of caged hub bearings before. Is it me or Halfords? They do seem to be working.

timbur
    Free Member

How did you get them in?

PTR
    Free Member

Beats me, good luck I suppose. First thoughts were along the lines of “bloody Halfords muppets”, but I’ve been using hope hubs myself for 15 years, so took the chance that Halfords may have known what they were doing.

timbur
    Free Member

I guess if they work then hang in there but I’d expect the caqge to disintergrate after a while. You could always remove the bearings from the cage and use them loose. You’d need a couple more to take up the space the cage used though (does that make sense?)

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually found on cheap and nasty hubs, used for quick assembly in the factory, and usually only spread the load over 5 or 6 balls instead of the usual 9 in a rear hub. I’d replace them with loose balls as soon as you get the opportunity.

Bez

Cages do two things. They make it easy to fit and remove the balls, and they reduce the number if balls that will fit in the bearing.

So they’ll roll fine, but since hubs carry significant load, the lack of balls means a greater wear rate. When it’s convenient, take them out and fit a fresh batch of loose balls.

spiddy
    Free Member

IME shimano hubs use 9 loose bearings (each side) sandwiched between the cup’n’cones directly… no cage. I’d check the service manual for your hubs but suspect you’ll need different bearings.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I’d agree with changing back to loose bearings when possible, and check the size that you fit, they’re all 1/inch and what seems near enough probably won’t be. A decent LBS should be able to order up what you need or even have them in stock. Choose a good grease and pack it in well, then take your time in tightening the cones and locknuts, that has always been the bearing killer for me.

robbo1234biking

I got my bearing from this ebay seller:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/ladyofletters_123

You will have enough to last for years just make sure you do them before the cup and cone receive damage

You need 3/16″ bearings for front shimano hubs and 1/4″ bearing for rear shimano hubs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano hub bearings, and Halfords…..’ is closed to new replies.