Shimano Hollow Tech 2 bottom bracket – serviceable alternative????

Home Forum Bike Forum Shimano Hollow Tech 2 bottom bracket – serviceable alternative????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Shimano Hollow Tech 2 bottom bracket – serviceable alternative????
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

if by

Hollowtech style BB that you are able to take apart service and stick back together?

you’ll accept:

‘take apart, pop the seals off a cartridge bearing, clean, grease, and stick back together’

then

gusset ext24

uberbike

are good, and sensibly priced alternatives.

(i have a hope BB, i also have a gusset BB, one is not 3 times ‘better’ than the other)

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Pace RC80BB, just insert tool, and use grease gun, pop cranks back in done.

Hope +1. I have never had a Shimano Hollowtech BB last a year.
    I have been using Hope each time the Shimano fail. They last longer before needing anything done to them as well as being serviceable when they do.

creamegg

Hope. Although I haven’t yet had the need to re-grease or carry out any maintenance after 3years+ of being my only bike, used all year round.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

creameggmtb@gmail.com wrote:

Hope. Although I haven’t yet had the need to re-grease or carry out any maintenance after 3years+ of being my only bike, used all year round.

I can’t remember when my first hope one went in, it’s still running though and over 3 years with out touching it.

cameron99999

Thanks for all your comments, will take a look at the hope BB.

jonba

Do the hope ones class as serviceable? You don’t need to replace the unit but you still need to replace the bearings. Might as well just buy a lot of XT ones from Rose.

micky

Arn’t the bearings pushed in? cant you take them out and replace them?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Gusset EXT24- inexpensive, uses standard bearings, easy to open up, clean out etc. You just need to be a wee bit careful not to break the tophats, they’re not delicate but they’re not bulletproof either.

Better than Hope in that respect if I’m remembering right, doesn’t Hope use a custom bearing?

messiah

I’ve replaced the bearings in a RaceFace HT bottom bracket with little more than a punch and hammer. Carefull with the top hats but otherwise easy. The cartridge bearings are standard but quality does vary by price.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

jonba wrote:

Do the hope ones class as serviceable? You don’t need to replace the unit but you still need to replace the bearings. Might as well just buy a lot of XT ones from Rose.

Proper replaceable bearings, and lasts well so no removing and replacing sounds a lot easier than having a stock of XT ones. Compared to the rate of demise of the shimano ones I up on my money.

tinsy

Its costs about £6 to change bearings in a shimano one & takes about 10 mins longer than just swapping the BB. Its very easy with basic tools & bearings can be bought from ebay.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Just fit some enduro bearings into the shimano shells. As servicable as hope without the price tag.

Superstar Components also make a serviceable BB much cheaper than Hope if their price is too rich

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

thepurist – Member

Just fit some enduro bearings into the shimano shells. As servicable as hope without the price tag

But costs as much as a new XT BB, and has worse lifespan of a Deore.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

tinsy – Member

Its costs about £6 to change bearings in a shimano one & takes about 10 mins longer than just swapping the BB. Its very easy with basic tools & bearings can be bought from ebay.

even if it’s as easy and cheap as you suggest, you’re still relying on the slightly rubbish seals of the bearings to keep the crap out/grease in.

hope/gusset/uberbike/others hide the sealed cartridges behind a labyrinth/baffle, which is a much better way to do it.

paul123

just popp the seals on a shimano one every now and then and pump some new grease in. The seals aren’t great but it should make them lst longer

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Pace RC80BB, just insert tool,

buy ££££ greaser, remove cranks do a load of fannying about…..

King.

see above.
    If someone made a proper greaseport BB that you could just turn your bike upside down and inject some grease at the end of a wet ride with a standard grease gun in 30seconds without dismantling your bike I’d be very interested. The current “solutions” no chance.

re gusset and uberbike, not seen those mentioned before, where do you get fresh bearings from? Do you have to hammer them out or do they slide fairly easily out by hand?

Edric 64

Doing the bearings on a Shimano one is ok if you can get the tophats off .Shame you cant buy replacement ones isnt it :roll:?

cameron99999

Hi

I was wondering if there is such a thing out there.

Back before the days of hollowtech BBs I used to have a very basic BB that i could take apart regrease the cups and bearings put it all back together and off i went. Nowadays once they go you need to buy a replacement which im finding seem to last a year or so of heavey riding. I was wondering if anyone knows of any Hollowtech style BB that you are able to take apart service and stick back together?

Regards
    Cameron

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

thought you could get tophats if you knew the size (or are they custom?) someone posted a link to a site a while back, can’t seem to find it tho.

dunno if RF fit
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39505

Edric 64

That would be handy I looked for tophats a couple of years ago and couldnt find any .I found hot water helped soften the plastic so you could get them out

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

D0NK – Member

re gusset and uberbike, not seen those mentioned before, where do you get fresh bearings from?

Gusset uses a standard bearing size, taps in and out pretty easily- much like changing a wheel bearing. Token are the same I think. Be surprised if Uberbike aren’t, makes sense for the manufacturers to use an off-the-shelf bearing unless they’re trying to tie you to their parts.

johnellison

Superstar Components also make a serviceable BB much cheaper than Hope if their price is too rich

Yeah, and their bearings are made of Dairylea. Hope all the way for me, admittedly the bearings are an odd size and you can only get them from Hope but, well…meh.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

taps in and out pretty easily

How easily? 😛 I had a bugger of a time knocking shimano ones out, tight fit and can’t “see” much of the bearing to use a drift on, but then I guess they aren’t meant to be removed.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

The bearings in my Hope b/b are shagged. It turns out that replacements cost more than a new XT b/b from Rose bikes. Not exactly a bargain…

+1, unscrewing the shells is far less faff than pressing in bearings. I had a King BB, but when it failed went back to £15 XTR from Rose.

reggiegasket

I bought a King for my commuter, and the injector tool. It’s lasted about two years before going rough, and that’s with regular grease changes, so not exactly a long-term solution (and the injector sometimes pushes the rubber seal out, which is a faff).

Probably going back to Hope, as the bearings are easily replaced. If Hope sold the bearings at £20 a pair then I suspect everyone would be running them. At £30 a pair they are a tad expensive.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

D0NK – Member

re gusset and uberbike, not seen those mentioned before, where do you get fresh bearings from? Do you have to hammer them out or do they slide fairly easily out by hand?

the gusset bearings could be wiggled out by hand (when it was new).

i didn’t play with the hope BB, i was in a bit of a rush…

tinsy

hope/gusset/uberbike/others hide the sealed cartridges behind a labyrinth/baffle, which is a much better way to do it

You are right of course, but its just up to the individual, pay lots do less maintenance, pay little do some fettling.

As sugested by someone else, the bearing seals flip out pretty easy if you can be arsed, a waterproof grease would make cheap bearings last.

£6 bearings & having a spare set of cups ready loaded with bearings in my box is my method.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

“pay lots”

?

a gusset ext24 is about £25

steve_b77

Why bother, they’re £15 new for a whole bb

tinsy

or £6 for bearings & ten minutes to swap them.

Do what you are happy with & ride the bike!!!

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

got a link to these bearings you can buy for £6?

scruff

Drill a hole in your BB shell to let the water out.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

£3??? Try £1.60

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/search.asp?strKeywords=6805&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

FWIW I pre-packed them with grease & used them on my winter bike, lasted easily as long as the originals.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Hollow Tech 2 bottom bracket – serviceable alternative????’ is closed to new replies.