Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • shimano front mech with sram shifter and longest LBS wait
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

Got my xtr m960 front mech that i’m gonna pair up with my x0 shifters. Will it shift a different way to my x7 mech I’m changing it from? If you know what I mean. Because they naturally sit in different places.

Also whats the longest wait for your bike to be booked into ur LBS. Just popped down to mine for the first time (Altrincham bike shak) 18th of May they said! 4 weeks is mental! they must be good!

Olly
    Free Member

iirc, front mechs are fine to mix.
    its the rears that dont like it, its due to the amount of cable pulled by the shifter, in relation to the amount of cable required to move to get the mech to shift one position.

4 weeks is obscene i would say, but then im an impatient sod, there is very little i wont do myself, generaly stuff i dont have the tools for, and i have 90% of the tools
    (currently missing a brake mount facing tool, but not loosing any sleep over it)
    is it geting the mech changed over you want doing?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I’ve fitted the mech on the frame but the cable wasnt long enough. Also I have no idea what I’m doing haha. So I thought it could go in for new cables/service/fitmech/new chain. Will have to find somewhere else

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Wheres decent close to altrincham? anyone know?

Offroading
    Free Member

How about reading online how to do it, that way its:

A: Free
    B: You learn how to do it
    C: Gets done in a couple of hours right now
    D: Make you feel like a smug bugger

sc-xc

I tried to get an XTR rotor the other day – not due in until 20/05.

Looked at CRC etc and most of them were due stock of the rotors on the 20th….must be when the Shimano boat comes in.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

It’s a very good idea however……I dont have cables, I don’t have a chain and teas ready soon! haha

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Nobody ansewered my question really. Will the shifter shift a different way? As in compared to the sram mech.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

fron mech will be fine. if they look like they are in different positions, when ‘at rest’ then try and adjust the high/low (probably the low) stops. this might get them looking similarish.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Does one not sit in the smallest ring naturally, while the other in the Biggest? Or have I imagined this?

Offroading
    Free Member

Err i think you’ve been smoking something to come up with a front mech that rests in the biggest ring when neutral…

All Sram/Shimano front mechs/shifters are intercompatible with one another – they all work in the same basic function.

However Sram are by far superiour to that nasty Shimano stuff 😉

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Ahh, I am a bit pi***d! Probably a good job I’m not gonna do it myself then.

Olly
    Free Member

i so said that in the first reply too!
    pish, i think my trolling has gained me the illustrious title of “probbaly best ignored”

longer inner cable is all youll be wanting.
    do it yo’ self, I insist

bikeshak
    Free Member

Just popped down to mine for the first time (Altrincham bike shak) 18th of May they said! 4 weeks is mental!

I know it’s mental. Sorry 🙁
    The workshop load has exploded. I shouldn’t complain but turning away work isn’t much fun.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Oh hey man! I know, If I didn’t ride most weekends I would of left it with you! No worries anyway. Glad to see your busy rather that struggling to get people in the door. I did buy a bottom bracket from you recently so i wont boycott the shak, haha! Olly cheers for the help. I should really do it myself…. I just feel safe in the knowledge that a shop will (usually) do a sterling job getting everything working peeeerrrrfectly!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘shimano front mech with sram shifter and longest LBS wait’ is closed to new replies.