Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano freehub slipping after 'service'
  • martinhutch

Freehub was a bit crunchy sounding so I took it off, sprayed it with GT85 and then briefly soaked it in light oil before refitting. Seemed to be engaging fine at that point, but got an intermittent slipping when out for a quick lunchtime ride. Engaging OK now.

Any idea what I should have done differently – too much/ not enough flushing out, wrong oil, applied it wrong?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I would suspect not enough flushing + after flushing I’d use the heaviest oil I could find (I think they’re filled with grease originally).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably what dibbs said, my guess is you’ve flushed something out of the interior of the freehub and it’s now in the ratchet mechanism.

Depends how much you value your time, I’d just buy another shimano hub and strip it for the freehub/bearings/races/axle. Eeking a few extra months out of a shimano freehub is a pointless exercise IME. They go downhill pretty quickly once they’ve started to slip.

martinhutch

Fair dos. Pity as it’s already the second freehub this hub has gone through, and not that old either (probably 1000-1500 miles).

Any alternatives that can be bolted onto a Shimano hub but are easier to open up and service properly?

njee20
    Free Member

No.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Depends how much you value your time, I’d just buy another shimano freehub and strip it for the freehub/bearings/races/axle as a spare and install. 10mm hex to remove if memory serves me.

This.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Shimano freehubs are bobbins.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This.

You could do, but last time I did it an XT hub was cheaper than the freehub (does seem wastefull though).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You could do, but last time I did it an XT hub was cheaper than the freehub (does seem wastefull though).

I didn’t know that, am a little shocked, but not altogether unsurprised.

Shimano freehubs are bobbins.

I’ve never got to work with one on a sewing machine, but then I was amazed when I found out Shimano were big in fishing. Every day is a school day.

martinhutch

Nah, the freehubs are about 17-20, the XT hub is 35. Freehub ordered.

Cheers for your advice. Will never attempt to service one again, just ride it until it dies….

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve stripped freehubs in the past, just to see what’s inside but to be honest by the time they start to give problems the damage has been done and it’s easier to just replace.
    I would have expected more miles than that though, you’re not doing anything silly like pressure washing or riding through axle deep water?

martinhutch

riding through axle deep water?

Have you looked out the window recently? Of course I have! 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😆 g’lad martin!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano freehub slipping after 'service'’ is closed to new replies.