• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano freehub compatibilty
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Unless I’m mad (fairly possible) I’m sure I can remember seeing a compatibilty chart for Shimano freehubs. Any links I can find via Google are broken, however.
    Does anyone have a link or chart?
    Failing that, anybody know which XT body fits an M525 hub
    Cheers 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found that they all (that I tried) fit, as long as you spaced the axles correctly as some had the bearing race further inside than others.

medoramas
    Free Member

I did it on mine. Shimano Deore external, with the guts and freehub of XT 8)

D0NK

I did it on mine. Shimano Deore external, with the guts and freehub of XT

how old? IIRC they all used to be standard size and interchangeable, the 770 wheels came with big chunky axles with smaller bearings and it looks like the XT hubs now use similar whereas deore look old style. As the bearings run against the freehub body I presume you need one that runs the same bearings(?) so get one from another hub that uses the same as yours eg 1/4″ or 3/16″

but sorry no, not seen a compatibility chart.
    I’d guess that this one may fit
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-9sp-m760-765-freehub-body/rp-prod79002 as used on this hub which looks similar to the 525

Mister-P
    Free Member

3BD 9801 should do the job.

FH-M756 diagram

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cheers guys. As I suspected, but many thanks for confirming it. 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

I was thinking about the same thing but with the aim of buying a hub to strip. That CRC price of nearly 29 quid is appalling for something that should be re buildable. Yes I know other free hubs are more but that’s not the point, especially when complete hubs are less. Bloody things are sloppy as new, well maybe XTR aren’t but I haven’t tried them. Madison won’t supply the tool to pull them apart so yet again Shimano have created more disposable parts. *Grrrr

D0NK

IIRC someone used to make a shimano freehub grease gun attachment, hens teeth tho. Think I read somewhere you can flush them with degreaser then stick some grease in a pan and melt it and stick the freehub in there to regrease it.

Never tried it, too much hassle and wouldn’t trust myself to not burn the house down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano freehub compatibilty’ is closed to new replies.