Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano cup and cone hubs
  • rascal
    Free Member

I have a horrendous noise coming from my rear XT hub.
    Collective wisdom suggests the cups in the hub are pitted as I have less-than-round bearing and tiny metal flakes in the grease. One suggestion is to replace the cones with new ones from a new hub – is this easy to do and how specifically how do you do it?
    Th e other option is new hub but that involves a full more-expensive wheel rebuild.
    I think I might prefer option A 😉 but only if its doable. Any pointers?

Cheers

jasonm945
    Free Member

I have a feeling that the cups in the hub cannot be replaced so would need the hub body replacing and as such a new hub would be a better vfm option.

Where abouts are you as there may be someone on here who could help with a wheel rebuild, or even buying at a shop may get them to rebuild the wheel cheaply! (You could even have a go your self :wink:)

I could be totally wrong though 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gary

I’ve just rebuilt a rumbly xt hub with new cones and axle and it feels like a new hub. BUT I should have bought a donor hub instead of actual spare parts as the freehub proceeded to die soon after the cones were done and the hub would have been a fair bit cheaper – worth doing that just to have a spare freehub.

its a pretty simple job if you have access to a cone spanners. Recent hubs are slightly different in details but essentially the same.

rascal
    Free Member

Excellent news!
    Not read through link properly yet – will the cups in a Deore hub be good enough quality to do the job? No point paying for XT if the actual bits I need are the same on Deore 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

Seems the noise isn’t the bloody wheel after all – me and a mate who’s much better at techy bikey stuff than me opened it up and had a scout around inside and seems it’s not wheel that’s the problem. Not the BB as that’s brand new.

Would a shock bushing that’s literally just developed a small amount of play make so much noise?
    It’s gone before but never with just a racket. Either that or I need to give it a wash and start checking welds for the dreaded Meta crack (cue a whole host of ‘it’s a Commencal…what do you expect?) 😉

With so many pivots to check what’s the best way to source the problem?

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’ve got a similar problem with my SLX hub at the moment, but I’ve found that the problem is with the freehub. Are you sure this isn’t the problem with yours too? Tell tale sign is that the noise stops when you’re pedalling.

Incidentally I’ve got no choice other than to buy a donor hub as Madison can’t supply a new freehub until December!!! This will also give me the spares if I need to rebuild the cup & cones too though. Cheapest place I’ve found for a new hub is bike-discount.com.

rascal
    Free Member

Ok…so I was wrong about the wheel not being the problem.
    It’s deffo the wheel making the noise – swapped my back wheel with a mate’s briefly on a ride yesterday and the noise disappeared immediately.
    Not sure what the noise itself is though – no different when freewheeling or pedaling so don’t think it’s the freehub – how can I tell for sure though?

I can get a new hub relatively cheaply but factor in new spokes and build and it starts getting pricey…might be new wheel time (or a good used one) at least.

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’d strip the hub down to diagnose the problem first if I were you. You may find you can replace the cones, bearings or freehubs without having to have a whole wheel rebuilt.

rascal
    Free Member

I think I’ll get everything out and have a look – again.
    Now I know it’s buggered I have nothing to lose by trying to get the cups out – there’s a few threads on here and Cynic-al seems to be the one who’s done it more than most – please do mine Al 😉
    Need to double-check hub serial number and buy a new one to cannabalise – will replace freehub while I’m at it. It’s an XT centerlock hub – do I need to buy XT again or will a Deore do the job in terms of everything being compatible/the same size/tolerances? I’m guessing it probably doesn’t even need to be a disc hub…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano cup and cone hubs’ is closed to new replies.