Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shimano Chain -pin or quick link? Why?
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Just interested to know if anyone still uses Shimano chains and the connector pin as opposed to a quick link? If so why?
    Had many years of trouble free chains, but recent issues with Non-Shimano chains have made me go back and struck by the fact that S have not gone the way of others with linking chains.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I use a Shimano chain with a quick link. Never had an actual quick link fail, it’s always been the normal links. Best combo for me at moment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Quicker to fit in a factory? I’m guessing they have a little air tool that presses the pin in rather than fiddling with a quick link by hand. Bear in mind the number of bikes that are built with cheap shimano kit (i.e. BSO level bikes) far outnumbers the number of even entry level mountainbikes I suspect being able to use common tooling is a selling point to the big factories.

9 speed Shimano chains used to be made by KMC, no idea if that still true for 10s and above, they’re apparently different, but whether that means they’ve moved production in house to new machines or if they just have exclusive use of a process at KMC I’ve no idea. But KMC chains were usually the same price and came with links rather than pins.

jemima
    Free Member

When on 9 spd I was always SRAM with quicklink – I used to like taking chain off every so often for thorough clean.
    New 11 spd bike came with Shimano so just using that just now with pins. Thought about going back to SRAM with quicklink but they are apparently single use only on 11 spd so have no advantage for me and are expensive.
    I always assumed it was a patent issue that Shimano never went with quicklink type thing. Could be wrong.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I got a chain and cassette the other day from Merlins as a deal, so used the pin. Then found I needed to remove it a few days later to change the front mech, so now has a sram link in there. Links are easier, but the pin was free for a few days use anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On the basis that 9s links worked perfectly with 10s chains, and 11s isn’t much (any?) narrower than 10s due to the offset big ring, could you just use a 9s link?

nickdavies

Never had a pin go. Normally use sram chains but bikes are pretty much all on shim now as I got some cheap, and the pins are fine till you need to change length or repair then you can put a quick link in. Used to avoid using the pins but it’s no more faff than a quick link, especially as they are a fiver each.

13thfloormonk

I just find the pins very satisfying to use, and since I rarely remove a chain once fitted, have no issue with the lack of a quick link. If the chain breaks on the road it’s no more faff to use a pin than a quick link since you’ll be using your chain tool anyway…

I have a slightly OCD ‘marginal gains’ approach to maintenance as well, I like to know everything is as good/strong as it can be, so would rather use Shimano’s pins than an aftermarket quick link.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve always used a spilt link in my chains. the only time i’ve ever used the shimano pin, it went a bit wrong when it came to snapping the excess piece off…it basically took part of the pin with it leaving a very small amount to hold the link together…it got swapped by a spilt link the next day

Northwind

Quick link because pins are annoying and can **** off, basically.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Always use quick link, to allow easy removal for cleaning, and for changing chains when daughter switches X1 chain ring. But why are only 9spd reusable? Thats a PITA!

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve reused my 10s ones…

chris_db
    Free Member

The Wipperman link is expensive, reusable and comes apart without the need for pliers. I have them on all my two bikes… with shimano 10 spd chains.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

OK cheers

legend
    Free Member

I have a slightly OCD ‘marginal gains’ approach to maintenance as well, I like to think everything is as good/strong as it can be, so would rather use Shimano’s pins than an aftermarket quick link.

ftfy 😉

Shimano chains in general can **** right off. Never had any luck with them for some reason, and it was never around the joining pin that I had trouble

13thfloormonk

As good and strong as it can be in the context of Shimano chains then, don’t spoil it for me! 8)

dragon
    Free Member

I just use Shimano chains as they are cheaper and never had and issue with them. The 9 and 10 speed shimano ones work fine with a SRAM split link in anyway.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve reused SRAM 10s the other day my chain failed at the quick link, so reckon they’ve got a limited life span if you reuse

FOG

I got a deal on a Shimamo 10spd which I fitted using the pin. It broke within a very short time. Back to quick links!

jamesoz

Pin for reliability, wouldn’t want to race with a quick link, witnessed and experienced too many quick links fail.
    Like quick links for cleaning though so don’t mind it on the road bike or winter hack.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Chain -pin or quick link? Why?’ is closed to new replies.