Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Shimano brakes – which ones for best value/power?
  • jamesoz

edward2000 – Member
    So if you were concerned about heat build up which shimano brakes would be the most heat resistant?

Look to the rotors.
    From personal experience though Shimano brakes don’t react well to overheating.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Zees or Saints.

iainc

SLX with RT66 rotors are rated for sintered as well as resin pads.

wl
    Free Member

Had XTs before and they were fine in the Alps heat-wise, but maybe I got lucky. Think I’ll splash out and get more Zees. Thanks for the tips tho.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Another set of zee then you only need one type of spare pads, and in a brake emergency you have a set you can swap in with no change, think spare set of brakes for holidays etc…
    IMHO you won’t regret the extra spend it’ll soon be forgotten….

Excluding those reasons, Deore

chakaping
    Free Member

Now you’ve mentioned going t’Alps – Zee is the right choice yeah

wl
    Free Member

Brakes are for my hardtail, which won’t be going to the Alps to be honest. Even so, that extra Zee power will still be welcome, and ‘fitness’ has a good point above.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Moved off Hopes 10 years ago as found them dreadful and very needy three years running in the Alps. Now thinking of returning as they just seem more consistent.

I’ve XTs but if I was buying again would be sticking to Deore or SLX.

Two sets of Deores here, both have suffered bad fade, moving bite points

Ditto on both previous sets of M775 XTs and one of my set of M785 XTs is heading the same way. Can be recovered for a little while with a good bleed. These seem very finicky about pad wear and it really compromises the lever.

never lost a drop in 18 months, but first pull was a bit of a mystery pull you could slow, or just find the bar, nothing I did could fix it,

Ditto again but only rears!?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brakes – which ones for best value/power?’ is closed to new replies.