Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Shimano brake's… very pleasantly surprised
  • chestrockwell

Got the latest Deores on my new bike and they’re ace. Had Hope M4’s before and Minis before that. Prefered the M4’s to the Deore but not enough to change them. Saying that, If I was speccing a new bike and had the choice I’d get Hope. My new bike was second hand but never used so didn’t have the option.

The only work either of my old Hopes required over the years I had them were pad changing. Their customer service is ace though as they fixed a Pro2 rear hub that was well out of warrenty FOC and replaced parts that were worn but not broken. 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Yeh, better to buy your bike parts from a company on the other side of the world, who make fishing kit, and don’t supply spare parts for their stuff.

I don’t need spare parts, because my brakes are made by Shimano, not Hope.

+1

Amazing how I’ve not needed any spare parts for my Shimano’s in the last couple of years.

Always had shiny new spare parts arriving for the Hopes though when I ran them….

nikk
    Free Member

Totally opposite experience here TBH.

Who cares anyway, none of us work for / have shares in either company. Run what you like 😀

superfli
    Free Member

What formula’s were you using? The One’s are incredible! Tons of power, yet the modulation (almost) of Hopes. I have found shimano too easy to lock the back wheel, which is why I like the modulation of Hope.

igm

My tech X2s and tech m4s have been completely maintenance free. They don’t even seem to wear pads that fast.

The best bit though, is yes you can lock a wheel if you want to, but it’s really easy not to lock a wheel, just keep if on that point where the wheel is just about to lose traction under braking, but arrange it so it never does. Brilliant

Unlike my Avids. Bleeding, freeing stick pistons, wearing pads, glazing pads, not stopping me. I mean I’m a 16st lightweight for goodness sake.

Which reminds me, I have a theory that bigger, more muscular riders (ok and fat boys like me) prefer Hope, while light riders go elsewhere. Discuss.

ononeorange

Committed hope user here. However, I bought an ex- demo bike which had slx shimano brakes which I intended to just bin / sell and replace with hope. I never quite got round to it, and the shimanos have been ok – admittedly and to my surprise haven’t needed any fiddling yet. I quite like the feel too. But dread them needing work as – as above – not much can be done with them.

Ps – yes fat lump

sharkattack

Every single brake thread on here turns into Hope evangelism it’s just boring. It takes nothing away from you if someone decides that something else is better.

jameso

better to buy your bike parts from a company on the other side of the world, who make fishing kit, and don’t supply spare parts for their stuff.

I get Shimano from the UK, which is supplied from Europe? And they have a better spares catalogue than any large company that I know of – I’ve been in the warehouse and seen the Shimano spares section plenty of times. It’s ‘extensive’. But I doubt they can have everything at all times. Look up shimanotechdocs – much of the stuff listed is there. It’s a full-time job ranging that many spares.
    ime most disc brake spares aren’t needed at anywhere near the levels that RD or other parts are, or when I have needed a new caliper (gen 1 XT issues) I got it and fitted a whole unit, to save fekking about with seals and potentially ruining them on installation. 10 years on their brakes and that’s the only spare I’ve fitted or issue I’ve had to fix.
    (not pro one brand over another, just a perspective on Shimano that people who’ve not seen inside a Madison warehouse won’t have)
    Oh, and they make golf stuff too )

chestrockwell

Every single brake thread on here turns into Hope evangelism it’s just boring. It takes nothing away from you if someone decides that something else is better.

Maybe it’s because there’s lots of people on here that have them and are very happy with them? If a thread is started about how good X brakes are would you not expect people to give examples of the brakes they’ve got and are happy with?

Instead of moaning why not tell us what you have and tell us if you’re happy with them? You may well have already done so but I can’t be bothered looking back up the thread.

All we need now is for someone to mention 650b then for someone else to copy the ‘makes the trail come alive’ joke for the 6,000,000th time.

rOcKeTdOg

My shimanos seem to survive -17 conditions, where the “seals go at -5” come from I do not know

andyrm
    Free Member

Just gone back to Zee after a season on X0 (non-Trail version) as that was the spec on our team bikes.

Big difference I noticed immediately was reduced arm pump and feeling looser on the bike again, as the braking was in my finger, rather than having to use more arm strength to get the power through.

Similar feel (if not quite eyeball popping top end) on all the SLX/XT/XTR I’ve tried too – even the Deore is seriously impressive.

TBH there’s not really anything that comes close in terms of usable power, lever ergonomics and ease of maintenance. The new funnel thing makes clearing air bubbles super easy.

baldman
    Free Member

I’ve been really impressed with mine (slx and xt). Can’t tell any difference between them in use. Had various hopes (from the early E4s, C2’s, mini etc and various Avid juicy and elixir). When I need a new set it will take a lot to make me look past Shimano now for value for money, reliability and performance. Just waiting for my last avids on my commuter to break so I can justify replacing them with a set of slx.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake's… very pleasantly surprised’ is closed to new replies.