Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shimano Brakes – Those replacement pistons, any good?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

So looks like another set of SLX M675s brake calipers are shot, need constant cleaning and I’m getting constant howling and poor breaking. But, not really wanting to shell out on more replacement calipers (cheapest UK are about £32 each) and ‘cheap’ decent brakes don’t seem to exist anymore (got a pair of new Deore M615s for £45 on ebay about a year ago), has anyone got a set of those replacement pistons for about £8 you can find on ebay and had any success with replacing and curing the leaky pistons?

paladin

I got replacement calipers(m7000) from bike discount for £21.60 each. Just buy lots of them to negate the postage charge, you’ll need them anyway ☺

dusterbenny
    Free Member

My front M615 has just given up for the 2nd time, you got a link to the eBay piston kit?

Don’t see any harm in giving it a go if they are available.

vongassit
    Free Member

Just remeber to remove & get in behind the seals with an allen key that is a good fit, scrape round the seal reccess/seat to clear out alloy furry corrosion & crud that pushes the seal tighter on the piston.

Really important.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Here’s a link to some

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Piston-Hydraulic-Brake-Caliper-Parts-For-Shimano-XT-M785-M8000-SLX675/272711718802?hash=item3f7ee29792:m:mkRxl8R9U_FjO8as3ZnovHA

My same type XT and M615s have been fine so far so hope they stay that way.

One thing I did recently to the SLX set that’s just started playing up was to push the pistons out a bit, clean them and lube them then push them back in, now I’m wondering if doing this brings out the problem, maybe better to leave them alone? But, I’ve done similar things with older generation calipers without getting problems, my SLX M665 are 8 years old and no problems at all.

Buy in bulk, might just do that!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Brakes – Those replacement pistons, any good?’ is closed to new replies.