Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano brake mess up? is a 160mm rotor not just a 160mm rotor?
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Hey guys, a little help if possible…

The GF has been complaining of loud, and under power brakes on her hardtail, she has old style deores on it, but new style deores on her FS, naturally, ive been ignoring her, and putting it down to the old style being less powerful.

I may have gotten things wrong with that though, as i have gotten round to investigating it, levers seem solid with a good bleed, calipers pretty central, not obvious warping of the disc, however….
    The discs seem to be sitting in the caliper correctly, but they distinctly look like they are wearing too far into the disc, the pads seem to miss the outer edge, and wear the spider arms….

I have found a shimano compatibility chart p24 of which seems to suggest that the brakes, BR-M446 are not compatible with SM-RT64 rotors.

It also suggests that the calipers are not compatible with sintered pads

http://productinfo.shimano.com/download/pdf/com/2.5/en

are 160mm rotors not just 160mm rotors…

I owe the GF an apology for ignoring her don’t I? can someone confirm my error?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DPUMGP]Untitled[/url] by ericpandrew, on Flickr

scotroutes

Is that the correct Post-IS adapter and is it the right way round?

See the difference in height?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

that did occur to me, but the front isn’t using an adapter at all and is 160mm post mount and looks exactly the same…

we did change rotors (a little while ago) but was a straight swap for 160 to 160, and i dont think we did anything to the adaptor

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DWj38w]Untitled[/url] by ericpandrew, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fitnessischeating
    Free Member

no markings of any kind on the adapter, but “looks” right and im sure we didnt change that when we did the disk

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EorDeP]Untitled[/url] by ericpandrew, on Flickr

tthew

If that was my bike,(or even my GF 🙂 ) I’d be putting a couple of mm of washers under the calliper to space it a bit. Assuming there’s still plenty of thread in the mount.

dday

Looks like you need a few washers to move the caliper out, the pad wear is too far down the rotor, and missing the outside by a few mm.

jameso

are 160mm rotors not just 160mm rotors…

Not always, pad material depth varies by caliper type or model and needs to match the rotor design.

scotroutes

Looks like the RT-53 rotor might have more “meat” further inboard

tillydog
    Free Member

The Deore calipers need a wide disc “track”, the discs you have look like SLX which have a narrow disc track:

I can’t remember which Shimano publication I got this from, but it shows what is avaliable.

(P.S. I have a brand new pair of the SM-RT61 metal-compatible deore discs if anyone is looking for some.)

STATO
    Free Member

Yup, you have old brakes and trying to run totally different rotors. Go buy some correct ones. All the people suggesting you bodge with washers, step away from your keyboards! ;0)

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

…arse, i suspected as much, going to enjoy some humble pie for tea tonight!

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m quite surprised by that, but even so wouldn’t expect it to lead to poor braking power. Pulsing yes, maybe, but not lack of power.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

humble pie for tea

No, faff around for an hour and then proclaim that you have sorted it and you are awesome.

She doesn’t need to know the truth 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake mess up? is a 160mm rotor not just a 160mm rotor?’ is closed to new replies.