Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano brake adaptors – using other brands to go from 160 to 180?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Any chance that Avid or Hope +20mm adaptors are going to work with new XT Brakes?

I could save myself £20 if they will.

Front Post – IS Rear

mikewsmith
    Free Member

used hopes before the mechanics is the same (from what I know)

kimbers

yeah theyre just spacers that goes up in 20mm increments

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

kimbers – that’s fine as long as the bolts for the caliper bolts are a standard spacing (guess I’ll find out easily enough)……ah, they have to be, to fit frames without adaptors (d’oh)!!

But i guess Avid adapters are slightly more than +20mm due to their rotor sizing? 185mm etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the bolt spacings are mostly standard these days except for the old Boxxer mount and a Marzocchi mounting

honourablegeorge

Hope work fine on XT calipers with either 183 hope discs or 180 Shimanos.

Avids are 185 rotors, but they’re designed to be used with a pile of washers under their calipers so ususally work Ok too.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Great, thanks. I’ll try it later before order any Shimano parts.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if i’s no good, i have a front 180mm shimano adapter that’s only about 6 months old that i no longer need, that you can have for a fiver?

twohats
    Free Member

My mate fitted Avid mounts to his XT brakes. All was well until one day he had no braking power but loads of lever feel!
    Turns out that the Avid mounts sit Shimano brakes a few millimetres too high and as the brake pads wear the unworn parts of the pad meet each other and the brakes stop working!!!

hainman
    Free Member

I had avids on my Giant reign,swapped my avids with my old XT’s.well old as in on a different bike,for some reason,my rotors were 180F/170R but just bolted my calipers straight onto the adapters that were already on the bike,lost the avid washers though and not had any problems and been on for 6months

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Didn’t some Hope rotors used to be 183mm?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake adaptors – using other brands to go from 160 to 180?’ is closed to new replies.