Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shimano "Bleeding Tool" kit, aka funnel, but no syringe?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Is it a bit cheap that Shimano dont include a syringe with their bleed kit?

If you dont know what you’re doing, you would get stuck at Step 2 in the instructions – “…fill THE syringe with oil”….

I know syringes are cheap, thanks to ebay, but they could have included one (and some hose) in the box maybe?

But hey, the new funnels come with a funky cap!

timbur
    Free Member

Epic bleed solutions.
    That’s all I’m saying :O)

timbur
    Free Member
    Scamper
    Free Member

I’d say the funnel is easier. Means you have a hand free and can see every tiny bubble emerging

orangeboy
    Free Member

I like the funnel works well for me

toppers3933
    Free Member

Shimano do 2 different bleed kits. One however is just the funnel. The other is significantly more expensive and is a funnel and a syringe.
    I got a kit from epic that I use most days in my workshop. Excellent value. Can’t recommend them enough.

guitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve been filling the funnel with fluid and bleeding from the top down. Is this wrong? My brakes seem to work well using this method.

sillyoldman

Shimano do one with a syringe and a wee widget that holds the hose securely on the bleed nipple and the funnel. Think it comes in it’s own wee case (mine did anyway).
    RRP is £22.99, so not too much really?

Pigface
    Free Member

If your brakes feel a little soft put the funnel in with some fluid and just flick the lever, you will get lots of little bubbles and voila great feeling brakes.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Bleeding from the top down is ok. The main problem with top down gravity bleeding is that bubble want to travel upwards. So you may end up using more fluid than you would doing it from the calliper upwards. Make sure you flick the lever a few times to dislodge any bubbles in the lever.

Scamper
    Free Member

Obviously Shimano say to bleed both ways. After bleeding both ways, another way to help get the last tiny bubble out is when flicking the lever as suggested above also angle the lever body forward and backwards.

Scamper
    Free Member

Obviously Shimano say to bleed both ways. After bleeding both ways, another way to help get the last tiny bubble out is when flicking the lever as suggested above, also angle the lever body forward and backwards.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

The most efficient way to bleed brakes is from the bottom up, as air naturally rises. However bleeding both ways gives you the best of both worlds and is the method Shimano advocates.

See our online guide below for an insight into how to do it with our bleed kit:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/how-to-bleed-new-shimano-brakes/

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Funnel worked better than the syringe for me anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shimano "Bleeding Tool" kit, aka funnel, but no syringe?’ is closed to new replies.