Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano and SRAM compatibility
  • Teifiterror
    Free Member

Will be getting a Shimano XT 10 speed cassette for the bike, but the bike comes with a SRAM chain. The cassette states it needs a HSX type chain to work correctly, is this the case or can I run any 10 speed chain on the XT cassette?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In theory I think they don’t work as one made the space for the extra sprocket over 9 speed by narrowing the sprockets and the pins of the chain, the other did it by narrowing the side plates of the chain and reducing the gaps between sprockets, but in reality they do (and there’s 3rd parties like KMC making generic 10s chains to prove the point)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Pretty much any. SRAM cassettes & mechs say SRAM chains, but that’s rubbish.

When you’re done with the SRAM chain (when it inevitably snaps)… get a KMC. e.g. KMC X93 10 speed.

You’ll never look back and very unlikely you’ll snap a chain again (KMC by the way make Shimano’s chains, but make their own much better, and they have reusable quick links unlike SRAM 10 speed).

And I’ve run KMC on both SRAM and my current Shimano XT cassette, perfectly fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apparently KMC only make the lower tier Shimano stuff, not sure where they change over but the expensive stuff is made in house.

mlke
    Free Member

yup as above compatability really only comes in with shifters and mechs. Plus Campag is a bit messy with road bikes

Teifiterror
    Free Member

good news then, run the current chain till death them swap out for a KMC then.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano and SRAM compatibility’ is closed to new replies.