Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano alfine 8 speed shifter to Derailluer?
  • cbike
    Free Member

Would an indexed shifter for an 8 speed alfine hub work with an 8 speed Cassette?

tomhoward

I’m pretty sure it won’t, due to cable pull reasons. Happy to be told I’m wrong though.

johnners
    Free Member

No, like Tom says, different pull. Shame as I’d like to be able to do it the other way. I’ve an old XT 8 speed shifter that’s way less ugly and clunky than the Alfine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

No way.

I’ve used friction on hub gears though!

cbike
    Free Member

Thanks.  The bar endplug equivalent must exist though for triathlon bikes.

thepodge
    Free Member

Alfine is rapid rise so most shifters wouldn’t work even if the cable pull was correct

Jtek do a bar end alfine shifter

tjagain

You can use a twist shift from an nexus for the 8sp – works fine and much neater / easier to use

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Alfine is rapid rise so most shifters wouldn’t work

Um. No. That’s not how rapid rise works. Any shifter with the correct cable pull/no of ratios will work.

even if the cable pull was correct

Yeah. That’ll knacker it.

thepodge
    Free Member

The alfine 8 pulls cable for higher gears so maybe technically not rapid rise but standard shifters are backwards.

amedias
    Free Member

And only the old alfines are reverse shifting, the current series of 8speed hubs go the normal way (like the 11speed ones)

but as for the OP the answer is as above, no, cable pull is all wrong annoyingly.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The alfine 8 pulls cable for higher gears so maybe technically not rapid rise but standard shifters are backwards.

Which is exactly what rapid rise does. There’s no such thing as a rapid rise shifter.

So it’d work fine. Except for the bloody cable pull…….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano alfine 8 speed shifter to Derailluer?’ is closed to new replies.