Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shimano AM45 – user views
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok, my Specialized BG SPD’s have fallen to pieces and I need to try a new brand. I’ve seen these alot on DH’ers etc and although I’m not one I thought they look easy to clip in and out of etc etc so…..ordered a pair. I briefly had a pair of the older white MP66 ones but they were slightly too big for me so sold on.

Are they good, any issues????

Scamper
    Free Member

Have the flat shoe version and love them so far – seem well made, , robust, very grippy and comfy. Will be interesting to see how they fair over winter.

continuity
    Free Member

Quite heavy and look like you’re wearing retardshoes, but otherwise ok.

Not superb grip in the mud though as imaginable.

Had a pair, now ride Mavic Alpine XL’s

matther01
    Free Member

I too have the flat version, so I can only really comment on their robustness etc.

Very comfy on and off the bike. Tons off grips on the pedals, but VERY slippy in the mud or if you accidently dab down on a slippy surface.

Some parts of the sole have started coming away which have had to be ‘re-glued.’ Unfortunately this happened quite quickly too…but a bit off loctite worked well.

They do tend to take a pounding in the wet though either in the rain or going through deep puddles (however if I manualled through them a bit more then probably wouldn’t be so bad!).

Might try a pair of Five Tens next time.

bigjim

Some parts of the sole have started coming away which have had to be ‘re-glued.’ Unfortunately this happened quite quickly too

AM41s – happened to me too

patriotpro
    Free Member

Highly Recommended.

BenjiM

Good shoes, keep most of the muck out, however as stated they offer no grip when it’s muddy or on grass. Comfortable off the bike too. As an SPD they’re OK but you may find them slightly flexy in comparison to something like Spesh BG’s.

Gotama
    Free Member

Noticeably heavy and flexy when on the bike, slippy as hell when trying to walk down or up anything. I’ve gone back to using my old specialized xc style shoes. They do keep your foot dry in the wet though. Probably great for downhill where you have a platform spd like the crankbrothers mallet and can get some grip if you don’t hit the cleat after taking your foot out but for general trail stuff i fail to see the benefit of the skate shoe over an xc shoe.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got the flat version and really like it. I’ve stuck with my Spec shoes for clipless tho

mkidley
    Free Member

I’ve got the AM41 flats like some others, had them since December, some wear on the soles with little chunks of the grip worn away but still holding out well considering the abuse they’ve taken.

hora
    Free Member

Gotama I use DX spds which should help?

patriotpro
    Free Member

i fail to see the benefit of the skate shoe over an xc shoe.

For everything but serious XC.

argoose
    Free Member

They do look like retard shoes. As long as you’ve got your bike with you you can pull it off.
    Apart from looks they are good fit and comfy all day.

hora
    Free Member

Its a snug fit- not tight but snug. I can touch the end with my big toes but my big toes aren’t pressed against the ends. Do they relax/have any ‘give’ after a while?

If they do relax internally they’d be spot on. However (Im a 10) I possibly need a 46 dont I?

Gotama
    Free Member

Not in length no. I had to size up.

motozulu
    Free Member

Got AM43’s – great shoe, yes they look a bit ‘special’ but who cares? they do the job. I was also advised to buy the size up from my normal shoe size.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’ve also got the flat pedal version and I’m really pleased with them.

As others have said, they aren’t the most fashionable item of footwear – they look like ‘trainers of the future’ that might have appeared on an episode of Tomorrow’s World in the 80s – but who really cares. I’ve had mine for about 18 months, riding 4-5 times a week, and they’re still going strong. A massive step up in comfort and durability from the skate shoes they replaced – grippy, just the right level of sole stiffness and the lace cover is great at keeping British mud at bay.

They’re not waterproof and can take a bit of time to dry if they get absolutely soaked, but that’s hardly a problem exclusive to them. Generally can’t fault them.

hora
    Free Member

Returned and reordered the 46. Ta guys.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yer, I’m a size 9, wide fit and 45 fits like a glove.

andyrm
    Free Member

Been riding mine for about 6 months and love them.

sparksmcguff

Got the flats and the spuds and really like them – and they look retarded. Take it that means they look sik to the rad of gnarr?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shimano AM45 – user views’ is closed to new replies.