Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano 1×11 chain retention issues
  • mccraque

Been riding the 1×11 over the last week and it’s been pretty good until today. Experienced the worst chain retention issues I’ve ever known! It was pretty muddy – claggy clay/chalk mix of the South Downs -but nothing my
    9 or 10 speed set ups don’t cope with.

I tried dropping to a smaller cog on the rear to get a better chain line but to no avail- chain kept dropping off the front ring.

Anyone experienced this with shimano? Am wondering if a narrow wide with longer teeth may be a better option or whether I’ve just overlooked something very simple in the set up.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I have had no issues with mine. I’d recommend dropping into your LBS and get them to check it over, correct chain etc and if necessary they can contact Shinamo and see what they say.

mccraque

It was bought as a whole groupset (XT M8000) – so the parts are all compatible!

Had been flawless – til the first sight of mud.

I’ll definitely go down the LBS route unless anyone’s got some suggestions.

aazlad
    Free Member

A pal and I both had this issue at the same time after riding in really claggy mud. We had to clean the chains with water to continue. I was riding full M8000, he was riding 1×10 middleburn/shimano combo. Worked fine in the snow yesterday!

mccraque

That’s exactly the issue (and the solution I used to get going again)

Did you have a longer term solution!?

aazlad
    Free Member

Only happened on one occasion. I’ll just suck it up.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nope, not I

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm does this thread coincide with shimano launching a new style of chain ring much more like the NW design…

bigblackshed

Did you have a longer term solution!?

Single speed.

HTH.

😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 1×11 chain retention issues’ is closed to new replies.