Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano 1x chainlength
  • whitestone
    Free Member

For a Shimano 1×11 drivetrain is it the usual chainring to largest cog + one full link? The Park Tools page about setting up a drivetrain mentions that SRAM 1x needs two extra links. This is on a FS with a KMC chain.

It’s the usual measure twice (or three times), cut once.

mariner
    Free Member

What ever you do do not use any fancy formula that you might find online.

Total tosh. Worked out the chain length using two different formula and got the same answer and both wrong.

Cant help with 1X but used the largest front with largest rear on 2X and perfect.

As there is an RD involved I would dare to suggest that +/- one link is possibly not a problem although others may take issue with that. I think you will need the rear arm at full travel also(?).

I also had one half of a Magic Link in place when I did the measure just to be sure.

hols2
    Free Member

Just make sure that the chain is long enough to go around the largest sprockets with a couple of links of slack through the full range of suspension travel.

bigyan
    Free Member

XT M8000 is;

<div>Mount the chain on to the largest</div>
    <div>sprocket and the largest chainring.</div>
    <div>Next, add 2 links to set the length of the</div>
    <div>chain</div>

<div>On a full suss set the suspension position so the chainring-cassette distance is at its greatest (eg unbolt or deflate shock and strap rear wheel to frame</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0004-08-ENG.pdf</div&gt;

bigblackshed

With 1x it’s not the same as largest front and largest rear plus however many.

The complications of multiple front rings and all of the possible gear combinations, along with chain grown on full sus has made chain on 1x a lot easier to set up.

It’s chain on, largest rear, threaded through the derailleur, check for chain growth through suspension travel, shock out or with air removed, and then as tight as comfortably possible at the longest effective chain stay length.

bigyan
    Free Member

RD-M8000 chain length

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 1x chainlength’ is closed to new replies.