Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano 12sp chainrings -any decent aftermarket options?
  • submarined
    Free Member

Just speccing the drivetrain for a new Shimano 12sp build. I want the best possible experience, so guess I’m still locked in to very good, but ‘functional’ cranks? Or are there any decent aftermarket options available for other cranks yet?

sillyoldman

Not locked into, but able to use the best cranks available I’d have said.

joebristol

I’ve just gone Shimano XT 12 speed. I’ve specced a new Sram X1 Carbon Crankset and picked up a NorthShore Billet Sram Direct mount fitting ring, but which has shimano hg12 teeth profiles. Only tried it on the bike stand so far as I’ve somehow managed to order the wrong end cap for my Hope Microspline freehub.

si77

Wolftooth do some nice Shimano HG 12speed compatible rings to fit other brand cranks. I’m happy with my oval version, but only about 100 miles so far. Not the cheapest option though!

antares
    Free Member

I’m using the new xt arms with an absolute black oval. Works perfectly

joebristol

The above Northshore Billet chainring was £53 if that makes a difference – was cheaper than the Wolftooth option which was mainly why I went for it.

Shackleton

Having put XT and SLX 12sp on mine and the wife’s bike in the last 6 months I have to say I’m impressed with the shimano rings. Cranks are nice too and just work, I was looking at some raceface ones purely from a cosmetic point of view but decided that the extra cost just wasn’t worth it. The Shimano ones work brilliantly, are the easiest cranks I know of to install and I can’t see them while riding or after riding due to mud so IDGAS!

I wasn’t sold on the chainrings at first as they look like adapted 2x/3x cranks but the teeth are steel and if reports are anything to go by outlast alu chainrings by quite some margin. I cleaned mine for the first time at the weekend and the teeth still look brand new (Strava says that I have done just over 1300km on it). The tooth ring is the same on SLX and XT, but the SLX is a painted spider while XT is anodized, so you can buy the cheaper ring (£28 for SLX 30t ring I think, so much cheaper than many aftermarket alu rings anyway) for XT cranks (although I think the SLX cranks look nicer).

Neither of us has lost a chain either, without running a guide of any sort, or had any shifting problems. Admittedly we aren’t EWS racers but we did spend a week at the Golfie/Inners without issue and regularly ride our local “enduro” trails around Dundee/Dunkeld/Perth.

If you are buying a groupset I wouldn’t worry about performance from the stock set ups unless you really wanted an oval ring. Anything else would be purely for cosmetic reasons, I don’t think any aftermarket ring/crank combo would deliver appreciably better performance (probably actually worse, particularly after some wear on alu chainrings) than stock Shimano when used with the rest of the drivetrain.

honourablegeorge

Garbaruk do a cheap option also, and it comes in oval and colours, if those are your thing

https://r2-bike.com/GARBARUK-Chainring-Melon-oval-Direct-Mount-1-speed-narrow-wide-Shimano-M7100-M8100-black_1

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 12sp chainrings -any decent aftermarket options?’ is closed to new replies.