Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Shimano 12 speed compatible chainrings for Sram direct mount cranks?
  • joebristol

As above, I’m think g about moving from 11 speed GX to 12 speed. The shimano cassette has better ratios than the Sram Eagle ones so I’m considering going XT Cassette / Mech / band on shifter and just getting a Shimano 12 speed compatible chainring for my Sram direct mount cranks.

Has anyone found anything specifically for this purpose that is cheaper than the £87 Wolftooth want for theirs? Seems very expensive just for a chainring – XT cranks with a ring only cost just over £100 in comparison.

I’m thinking in due course I’m going to get some X01 or XX1 Carbon cranks – I’m not a fan of the look or weight of the Shimano XT ones.

BearBack
    Free Member

OneUp do 12 speed Shimano.
    No idea the price though.

joebristol

I messaged Superstar and they’ve now come back and said their rings work fine with 12 speed shimano so they maybe the ones I go for at £30 a pop. Will have a look at Oneup as well

gkeeffe

Superstar work great with Shimano. I have one!

dovebiker

What’s wrong with an SRAM 12-speed chainring? A 12-speed chainring is pretty much ‘agnostic’ between brands

gkeeffe

It’s the Shimano quick link that fouls some chain wheels

ogri
    Free Member

I have shimano 12 speed chain running on SRAM DUB chainring with no drama.

joebristol

I thought the shimano 12 speed chain didn’t play well with a number of chainrings – Sram x-sync 2 being one of them.

alan1977
    Free Member

put a kmc 12 speed chain on… I’ve got the 11 compatible and its both sram and shimano compatible, then you don’t need to dick with chainrings
    not sure what you mean that the shimano ratios are better mind, im loving hte gx casette, mind you its more expensive than xt

mashr

As above, isn’t the easy option just to not use a Shimano chain?

joebristol

If you don’t use the shimano chain apparently you don’t get quite as slick shifting from what I’ve read. I prefer sram – so if I’m swapping for ratios and durability then I may as well have the full shifting quality.

endomick
    Free Member

Burgtec rings work with shimano 12sp, at least mine does, it was used on 11sp first but only for a few rides so it was practically new.

mashr

joebristol
    Subscriber

If you don’t use the shimano chain apparently you don’t get quite as slick shifting from what I’ve read

They have been saying that since the dawn of time though, would be amazed if you could notice

joebristol

I like the look of those north shore billet ones – but I don’t like the custom fees / duty that might be incurred if sent straight to the U.K. from Canada.

I’ve emailed their U.K. distributor to see if they’ll be getting the Sram HG12 version in.

endomick
    Free Member

Shorelines are useless, NSB need to change their uk distribution, you’re looking at about £16 extra fees if direct from NSB, the post office will put a note through your letterbox saying fees need paying before they hand it over at the parcel pick up counter. Speaking from experience.

joebristol

I had the customs thing before when I ordered some bits for my caad12 that I could only get in the USA. Made several small bits of 3D printed plastic very expensive.

Shoreline replied to my email within 5 mins offering to put that on their order from billet this week. I thought that was an amazing response time.

I think I might go with one of those when I get a new groupset as it’s a bit different from the usual options.

edd

I’ve bought from shorelines before a few times (other NSB chainrings) they’ve always been good. Will be buying a NSB chainring as linked above when I go 12 speed…

endomick
    Free Member

Here is my experience with shorelines a few years ago, delay after delay, despite items showing as in stock, lots of chasing up my order, lots of broken promises, items eventually arrive but one is totally wrong colour, despite the long wait and lies I was still charged full price even though by then the items were discounted on the site well before I received my items, then yet another promise broken when they said I could have a partial refund to match the now discounted price.
    Hope they’ve improved since then and you have a better experience than I had to endure. What people say they’ll do for you and what transpired can be two different things entirely.

nixie

One up switch carrier and a 12 speed ring would have been my choice.

bobodaclown

Sorry for pulling out an old topic, is the consensus that superstar one work fine. Any other alternatives outside of WolfTooth that people have good experience with?

I.e. SRAM direct mount crank but to use with a 12spd Shimano set up.

Thanks

joebristol

The Northshore Billet one is fine – still on my bike now.

I concluded the Shimano 12 speed chain doesn’t play nicely with mud though. Someone suggested I tried a Sram one and it’s much improved. Less skipping of gears and general noise in muddy conditions. Cant say I noticed any drop off in shift quality under load.

So I’d go for a Sram chain over Shimano for 12 speed Shimano tbh. I bought an XX1 chain for the oil slick bling.

When my Northshore chainring wears out I’ll be putting an x-sync 2 ring on as it’s lighter and should work just as well if not better due to the tooth profile.

Akers

Absolute Black now do HG+ chainrings for SRAM DM cranks. Oval only currently though

bobodaclown

@joebristol all about the bling 😉
    Interesting though that the SRAM.chain works that much better

@akers
    I saw those, I have AB rings on my road bike so was tempted to just use AB. But was seeing if there was anything as good at perhaps a cheaper cost.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 12 speed compatible chainrings for Sram direct mount cranks?’ is closed to new replies.