Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shigura or not?
  • reeksy

Love my Magura mt5 but the rear brake lever just started acting up. The lever has gone all floppy and I’ve tried retensioning the spring to no avail. Not sure if it’s fixable.

So I’m in two/three minds as to whether I should drop cash on:
    A) a new two finger blade and presumably spring
    B) two new single finger blades
    C) a couple of shimano XT lever/master combos for the same price as option B

(No doubt I’ll get lots of suggestions for Formula four pots and TRPs but it gives us something to talk about right?)

Neb

You could get deore or slx for even cheaper?

If you buy the shimano master cylinders you could shift them on for not much loss afterwards if you didn’t like it. I guess you know what you’re going to get with the magura options.

I really like my shigura setup, I like the level close to the bar with a very firm feel. However I’ve never tried magura mt5 levers

walleater

Formula Cura 4 😉

The current Shimano levers seem really fragile (snapping lever blades and popping bladders, and takes forever to get all the air from the reservoir). I’d prefer a set of Zee type levers.

StuE
    Free Member

Mine work a treat with Deore levers,not sure I’d bother with XT

the00
    Free Member

Magura do aftermarket levers which will fix your problem. The difficulty is working out which is the one you want, and then justifying the price.

My girlfriend had the same problem with MT7 brakes. She was adamant she didn’t want to change brakes, so I splurged on some OAK Components levers for her birthday. They’ve been rock solid.

However in the same time my Cura 4s have been trouble free, and a replacement lever blade is 20% of the Magura price.

Del

Full set of Mt trail on r2bike for < 135 delivered?

reeksy

As far as I can see the slx levers are out of stock everywhere in Oz (where I am) and the Deore are two finger which I’d avoid if getting Shimano.

A replacement Mt5 lever and calliper isn’t a bad option too…

zippykona

Did I read somewhere that you need specific discs for magura?
    My bike runs 3 sets of wheels, that could get expensive.

anderzz
    Free Member

Ive ran my mt5s with both magura rotors and sram rotors and they both felt equally good.

reeksy

You can run other rotors but Magura are thicker so other brands will be too thin sooner.
    I started out with SRAM and replaced when needed with Magura.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.