Shifting Problem

Home Forum Bike Forum Shifting Problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shifting Problem
  • whatnobeer

I’m not going to be the only one who misreads the title as “Shitting Problem” am I?

Anyway, obvious thing is limit screws? Otherwise, is everything straight, mech hanger, mech cage etc? Worth starting from scratch following the park tools guide or something similar?

slackalice

Limit screw
    B tension adjust
    Ease cable tension

trekstar

Just installed new gear cable, chain and 9 speed rear derailer however the derailer does not want to shift onto the last two cogs. Feels like there is always too much tension on the cable.

I have tried everything I can think of but nothing is working.

Any ideas?

trekstar

The mech is brand new so yeah everything is straight. I can’t set the limit screws properly as I can’t get on the big sprocket

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Did you release all the cable tension in the shifter before connecting the cable to the rear mech?

palmer77

Unwind the limit screws for the inner (largest) adjustment, they usually come wound in.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Start from scratch. Limit screws set with chain off. No more fiddling with those screws after that. Then chain on and index. I find the key is starting with the cable adjuster wound in all the way and then backed off slightly as per these instructions works for me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-set-up-the-gears-on-your-bike-23582/

gonzy

do what deadkenny said…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shifting Problem’ is closed to new replies.