Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shifting getting harder as you go to the bigger cogs?
  • weeksy

Had some issues shifting in my lads Sworks today. Was just missing loads of gears.

SRAM xx1 shifter and mech, 11sp. Bike is a 2016.

So I checked indexing on workstand and it was all over the place.

I thought I’d swap the inner but didn’t make much difference.

I then found a slightly loose hanger mount bolt, but again that didn’t do much.

Cleaned and lubed the mech, the shifter which helped a bit, but in the end it came down to the gear outer that got me all the gears nicely.

Going from big cog on the back and down through the gears is super smooth and slick, but going from the 11t up to the bigger ones it gets gradually harder. I assume because you’re putting more and more tension on the spring.

But I’ve got 11sp GX on my G160 and I’m sure my shifting is just as easy at both ends, or if harder, it’s really not by much.

Chatted with my lad who said it’s always been harder to get into the bigger cogs.

Am I missing anything here? I’m actually thinking of getting a FX shifter and mech to make it easier.

jimmy

Ah, you need a rapid rise mech.

weeksy

Asked my lad to go test it this morning

“i can’t reach the triggers now”.

I tried and he’s correct, the shifter trigger to go to bigger cogs is MILES away from the bars..

So investigation time was needed.

Eventually i found on the underside of the shifter there’s a set of markings from 0deg to 30deg one way and 30deg the other way… It was way outside the parameters on the off-side. So i moved it to 0deg, tightened it back up and that brings the shift lever right back to position. Wow… Wasn’t aware of that.

The added bonus is, i’m sure that’s also made the changing gear easier too, so with the new outer and inner fitted, along with this, his shifting seems pretty perfect. He’ll test tonight when home from school, but i’m happy.

weeksy

Well he’s happy too, smooth both up and down the box now. Effortless through all gears, so he’s a very happy lad.

ferrals
    Free Member

I definitely find it becomes harder to get to the largest couple of cogs when the inner becomes worn..

reeksy

I’ve had some success spraying lanolin down the outers and then blowing through with an air compressor. Did this to an external dropper recently and it’s better than it was with a new cable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shifting getting harder as you go to the bigger cogs?’ is closed to new replies.