Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • SHifters or mechs – which is most important to shifting quality?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

xt shifters and slx mech OR SLX shifters and XT mech?

Which would deliver best shifting (providing they were both set up well with good quality cables etc)?

kimbers

mechs have to deal with more mud and knocks

racing_ralph
    Free Member

so your answer is…….?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Shifters are more important- the mech is, in essence, just a spring and some pivots. Shifters are where the speed and precision is (mostly- but not entirely).

However, you can get XT shifters and rear mech for £105 on Merlin (SLX is £75). Might make it easier to just get both?

Baldysquirt

Shifters make the most difference IMHO.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Don't bother. Go singlespeed.
    (Sorry, but if I didn't say it I'm sure someone else would!)

Seriously, I've always gone for a better mech when there was a choice such as yours (but that choice wasn't really based on any science or research). As kimbers said it takes more abuse so needs to be a bit more hardy. Alternatively, you could say that the mech is more likely to get broken so buy a cheaper one which won't make you weep when it has to be replaced.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shifters can have different feel. I didn't like xt 8s shifters as they had very little throw, I run stx/alivio now.

High end mechs seem crisper but I think that may just be in the mind…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

GMJ – thats my thought – better shifters are tucked away, an SLX shadow mech is £30, and XT shadow mech is £54 or nearly another mech more!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

SLX FTW then al?

Mackem

Ive found my LX mech to be better than the XT one it replaced. The best shifters ive had are either XT or thumbies, very different but good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

spend the money on the rear mech, the shifters will make more difference but the mech will look more bling!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not bothered about the look really onza – i have X9 atm and it looks ace

mike_check
    Free Member

Good cables, clean and well lubed with decent shifters for me. A 'better' mech seems mainly a weight issue, I've always stuck with LX for the mech!

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

Cables, cables and cables. Even the best mechs money can buy are duff with old manky cables.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmm

I changed from xt to xtr mechs on my bikes without changing anything else and the shifting was noticeably better. This could be due to the xt mechs being worn out and the XTR not but I think the less "slop" in the pivots of the xtr was the biggest factor.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

muffin_the_mule – Member

Cables, cables and cables. Even the best mechs money can buy are duff with old manky cables.

Which would deliver best shifting (providing they were both set up well with good quality cables etc)?

Did you read the first post MTM?

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'll agree with Jezza, though- XTR does make a pretty obvious difference to performance.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not in the equation tho

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

xtr rear mechs £25 from here secondhand. I have bought 4 now

racing_ralph
    Free Member

surely if they are second hand they will be pivot wear which negates the crisp feel?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats "STW secondhand" which equates to "TJ hardly used"

All of them were obviously more precise than the old worn XT / LX I was using with far less slop

matt_outandabout

Cables are most important IMHO, far more than spangly shifters or mechs.

scaredypants

XTR shifters seem to last for ever, really smooth & precise

2nd hand ones are therfore also ace as TJ sez

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

SLX shadow with medium cage has a much stiffer spring than long cage XT shadow, whether thats the difference between the cage length or kit level I dont know but it might be a factor.

I got an XT shifter/rear mech box set last year for £90 from my LBS, with a free 25th anniversary of XT badge woohoo. Dunno if that was pre-price increases?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i know about cables matt hence the first post

pitduck
    Free Member

shifters 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

did anyone mention good clean cables?

Kuco

I always thought the SLX mechs came with stiffer springs same as Saint as they were designed for dh/freeride use.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

XT cassette.
    The cassette does the shifting, the mech and the shifter just push the chain… That said, don't skimp on replacing chains. Get a chain wear indicator. I put 5 chains through my last XT cassette.

ojom
    Free Member

shifters make the biggest difference.

deore shifters compared to xtr shifters with the same mech will not feel as crisp or positive.

slx is the same internally as xt btw. we all use slx FTW.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

shifters make the biggest difference.

…that would make a difference as you are putting new cables in….

Your chainrings *want* a new chain.

Nico
    Free Member

cables

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shifters first, cables second, mech third.

topangarider
    Free Member

Cables defo, then shifters.

Best shifters I ever used were 8spd XT – now on the wife's bike. Bizaarely (SP?) the acera ones on my cheap commuter feel very similar!

neilnevill
    Free Member

well in my experience shifters never ever go wrong or wear out so spend a bit more there and it serves you for years, but mechs have a limited life.

That said I've never noticed any differnce in shift 'quality' from a shifter but have only used deore and lx. Come to think of it, I don't think I've noticed any difference in shift quality from new mechs, but cheaper mechs seem to wear out far quicker for me.

hitman
    Free Member

cables 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘SHifters or mechs – which is most important to shifting quality?’ is closed to new replies.