Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shifter/brake lever interference
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,
    I’ve got a 10 speed XT shifter, not the current one, the one before, whatever version that is, a black one with a wee window on the top. I also have a Hope Tech brake lever.
    The brake lever is quite bulky and I catch my thumb when attempting to shift down the block. I cannot get both positioned right and avoid this, one or other will be out of place, or both, or my thunb will rub.
    Would getting one of those combined shifter/brake lever mounts solve the problem? I can’t find one for my shifter so would have to buy an XTR shifter to do this. Happy to do so if it solves the problem, but it’s a fair bit of money to chuck at something which may not work. How adjustable are these shared mounts, will I be able to find a suitable position? Ideally I need to move the shifter levers more towards the outside of the bar, but can’t at present as the lever clamp is in the way.
    Thanks

timoth27

A pic of the shifter would help. I know some of them you can remove the window

rocketman
    Free Member

Would getting one of those combined shifter/brake lever mounts solve the problem?

They don’t make much difference ime. The shifter pod is generally inboard of the brake clamp and the combo mounts the shifter pod to the brake clamp iykwim so everything is in pretty much the same place but with one less clamp.

FWIW I have an SRAM X0 pod clamped to a Tech 3 and if anything it made the setup slightly worse because it’s no longer possible to rotate the pod without rotating the brake.

You might find a 10sp Saint shifter would give you a few more options the paddles are quite long.

andrewh
    Free Member

Hello again,
    xt shifter
    It’s one of these shifters (sorry, a real pain to get an actual pic of it with the brake lever but you get the idea)
    Whilst googling that I found this xt Would that be better or is the other already at the equivalent of ‘maximum’ slide in the direction I need?
    Rocketman might have the solution though, this looks good saint It has the slidy thing and looks quite low so might sort of sit underneath the master cyclinder bit of the lever. Is the Saint the longest paddles about? Or at least the longest Shimano one, I really don’t get on with SRAM shifters.
    Thanks

ads678

I’d be taking that window off straight away.

scotroutes

The shifter window is removable (the two screws). On some models of XT shifter, there is a blanking plate beneath (I don’t recall if that model has one). If not, cover the hole with a bit of tape, plasticine or Sugru – once you’ve determined whether or not it helps.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks, but it’s not really the window causing the problem. I need to move the shifter right/outwards so that the paddle isn’t underneath the master cylinder but because the clamp i outboard/right of the window the clamp causes a problem before the window does, basically the shifter clamp needs to be about halfway along where the lever clamp is. Longer paddles would definitely fix it, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch on the down-the-block lever, the other is OK. How much longer are the Saints?

timoth27

I have an 10 speed xtr(sorry not sure on model right now) fitted to a tech lever and a m8000 xt fitted to a tech lever so I will take some pics for you to see.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks. Would be very useful to see the XTR for comparison.
    Do you have the same probelm with the XT? If so and you don’t with the XTR then problem solved 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

This is where a pic really helps.

As the Hope levers are so long and only need one finger, I run my brake levers inboard of the shifters and use shifters without windows. How far out are your brakes and which side are the shifters?

mechanicaldope

Can’t you just go to a bike shop and see which combinations feel right to you?

rocketman
    Free Member

How much longer are the Saints?

You may be able to see the difference in this picture:
    Saint - XT

The Saint paddles are a bit longer, a bit bigger and generally easier to operate

crofts2007
    Free Member

Hope matchmaker adaptor as below if you have the earlier tech or tech evo levers.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-direct-shifter-mounts-tech-lever-47357.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=MTB+Disc+Brake+Rotors+%26+Spares&ucpo=15313&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2qmpkICn4AIV77ftCh1negAnEAQYBiABEgJdIPD_BwE
    I ran the same setup and they are a right pig to get anywhere near a usable position without the adaptor. It has the ability to be mounted in one of two positions.
    You have to lose the shifter window though.

belugabob
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with Hopetech items, but I’d agree with Onzadog, about moving the brake levers inboard of the shifters (I find that this also helps with braking finger fatigue) if you haven’t already done so.

timoth27

Here you go

Xtr

093-B37-EC-1082-4901-8-B90-8-F9839-B563-A0

M8000

HTH

Tim

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks Tim. Both of those look loads better than mine, there’s quite a bit of difference in your lever position. That is the same brake lever, looks like the shared clamp does indeed work, will see if I can replicate your set-up

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shifter/brake lever interference’ is closed to new replies.