Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Sherwood Pines Dig Days – Get Involved.
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Was riding around the Kitchener Trail yesterday when I was approached by one of the rangers, whom clearly knew me from my facebook rants about the poor quality of the trails 😳
    After a chat it became clear that the work done around the Pines is done by only a couple of people,
    Which to be perfectly fair is not actually bad from two people!

There are plan’s to increase the amount of Dig Day’s over this summer,
    The work involved initally will be mantinence of existing trails,
    Only once the trail is in better shape can plan’s for adding new sections be tackled.

As I’m sure you can appreciate, there’s lot’s of work that needs doing and with the constant bombardment from folk who don’t know how to ride a trail it seems like a tough task to shape out a decent trail but many hand make light work,
    A recent dig day was attended by only four people,
    In the past I’ve grumbled about there a been a 12 man limit (Due to H&S) but this isn’t Wales and it’s clear the Rangers are struggling to get those people showing interest out on the day and actually getting shovel’s in those hand’s.

If you ride Sherwood Pines a regular basis, It’s only fair you help out,
    even it’s once a month.

The rangers need numbers on the ground!
    As Gandhi said “Be the change you wish to see”

Email enquiries.sherwood@forestry.gsi.gov.uk or message the rangers via Sherwood Pines Facebook Page

MoreCashThanDash

Nearly missed the post so I’m bumping it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rode there with the kids and wife last weekend. Does a very good job for what they’ve got to work with. Maintenance didn’t seem a huge issue?

MoreCashThanDash

Apparently it was bad after the storms, but I have to admit I find it rather hard to actually complain about a mountain bike trail being muddy or eroded.

Feel I ought to see if I could get there but not sure what actual use I would be – can make decent strong tea if it would help?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Nearly missed the post so I’m bumping it.

Thank you kindly!

Maintenance didn’t seem a huge issue?

Really? Which route were you riding?

Because we have to put in the effort to enjoy the fun bits rather than relying on gravity it’s important that the trail run’s smoothly.

I have to admit I find it rather hard to actually complain about a mountain bike trail being muddy or eroded.

That’s fine but that doesn’t stop the fact that the trails do erode

Feel I ought to see if I could get there but not sure what actual use I would be – can make decent strong tea if it would help?

Please do, just let the rangers know of your interest via email.

If you can ride a bike around the Kitchener than I’m sure you’d be useful on a dig day,
    Honestly, it’d be great to meet other local riders where we can give back together. 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

If you can ride a bike around the Kitchener than I’m sure you’d be useful on a dig day

I’d be no good then 😆

endurogangster
    Free Member

Email sent

wysiwyg
    Free Member

the work done around the Pines is done by only a couple of people,

Albeit with a mini digger and a £/pm price to go with it.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’d be no good then

Sounds like you need to see a doctor about that.

endurogangster – Member
    Email sent

Thanks, look forward to seeing you out there when the time comes!

Albeit with a mini digger and a £/pm price to go with it.

I can assure you the money is minimal.
    Think what’s been created with two people and a digger, imagine what could be done with a regular team of volunteers!

mogsuncle
    Free Member

I’ve just dropped them an email too. Been meaning to for ages as I’ve appreciated the great work on the Kitchener trail that’s been done in the last couple of years.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ve done my share of digging at pines. Until it becomes less sanitised I’m oot

tacopowell
    Free Member

Until it becomes less sanitised I’m oot

Please explain?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

By sanitised I mean shit. Like the “dh” bit. Built to the cater for lowest common denominator.

st

Sounds positive.

Chase Trails down at Cannock now fall under the same overall management as Sherwood since the local FC team were brought under the Sherwood umbrella so if you want to bounce any ideas around send me an email.

Stu

tacopowell
    Free Member

Sounds positive.

It could be if the rangers there can establish a regular set of trail builders,
    I’m fully aware that Sherwood Pines lacks the current standards of most trail centre’s in the country,
    The potential might not be as great as others due to the lack of hill’s but I’m certain that it could progress to be something much better than what it is,
    As it’s pretty much the best I’ve got locally (Nottingham City),
    I’m all for helping establish something better.

You say Chase Trails is under the same FC management?
    How was Chase Trails started?
    I’d be keen to link ideas between Cannock and Pines,
    I guess the best way to do this would come and help out a in Cannock.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

There’s no way with the visitor type that pines get that it will ever evolve beyond what it is with the current blame and claim culture. Look at the ladders and wall rides. Or don’t as they’re gone.

tacopowell
    Free Member

And it’ll never evolve unless you change the trails, It’s a catch 22 situation I guess,
    It’s not like it’s something that will change over night but after my chat with the positive sounding ranger the other night I’m willing to try rather than grumble about it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It won’t evolve cos Chris Bray will come along with his big stick and say no to anything deemed exciting or interesting. Won’t be long before the rock feature gets smoothed more I bet.

tacopowell
    Free Member

So if it can be done at Cannock why not Pines?

Give the people what they want, Surely?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cos pines is full of center parc punters. That’s why.

st

tacopwell, lots of questions there, if you would like to pick this up further my email addy in in my profile. What I would say here though is to think long and hard about getting involved t the lead of anything up there. It can be rewarding but also very draining. some of us down here have been at it for 12 or so years now!

tacopowell
    Free Member

It’s on! Tomorrow is the first of the organised Dig Days,
    If your still keen to help out, please please turn up!
    If you can’t make tomorrow, they have another organised for Sunday!

All information can be found here

See you tomorrow!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Uphill rock garden ftw.

alexpalacefan

Bloody typical!
    Registered interest 2 months ago, left email address and everything, and the first thing I hear is one days notice on STW.

APF

tacopowell
    Free Member

They’ll be days to come.

tacopowell
    Free Member

*more

tacopowell
    Free Member

Great day yesterday, bigger turn out than expected which helped complete the short rocky climb on section 4, with a couple of steps put in this is and will continue to be a challenging climb,
    at the the top we built a smooth rock feature that will help pick up the speed into the downhill through the trees,
    Next up (dependent on numbers) will be improving that trail, with improved Berms.

Next Dig day is this Sunday followed by another on Wednesday the 16th,

Be the change you want to see!

discoduck
    Free Member

I’m up for weds 16th !

I’ve been riding at the pines since before it was a trail centre, infact most of the route that was initially used we carved out, the crappy boggy sections thro the trees we used to ride the other way round, they were far more fun going down rather than up ! It needs some hard core in there !
    those two new rock jumps are definately what’s needed !

There’s no point in me moaning about the place, its local and the best of a bad job ! On that basis I’m in !
    Two laps of the red and I’m **** ! Its pedally as **** !

I went round last week and there was a pile of about 20 pretty large rocks ? I’m i interested to see where they are going ?

StuF

I’ve not been to pines for a while but managed a couple of time last week – thoroughly enjoyed and much better than last time I went round.

Some nice bermed corners, plenty of pedaling and a big grin.

Well done to anyone involved in the dig days and getting these trails into the shape they’re in.

vixalot
    Free Member

Im going on wed 16th 🙂

animalchin
    Free Member

Bump for the next big dig at pines – Wednesday 6th August – 2 till 8pm I believe, theres usually a decent bbq after too! Apparently something big planned so their after decent numbers. .Hope to see you there!

oldnick

Are there any weekend ones planned?

Also do I need to bring anything?

animalchin
    Free Member

Worth bringing some sturdy boots, and possibly some gloves. They do some Sunday ones as well, although I’m not sure when the next is. If your on Facebook check the Sherwood pines page they’ll usually post dates there.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Pines Dig Days – Get Involved.’ is closed to new replies.