Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sherwood pines..
  • bsims
    Free Member

Is it worth an almost 4 hour round trip? Or should I do the usual Cannock ( an hour each way on a week day) or Forest of Dean ( hour and a half each way ). Cwmcarn is about 4 hours round trip as well, but I thought I might try somewhere new.

I also considered the Peaks  but don’t want to be out in the open too much in this heat.

submarined
    Free Member

No. Did about a 3 hr round trip there a couple of years ago for a YT demo day. Really odd choice for the brand tbh (especially as they’ve been back since!) The mini bike park bit is ok, but the rest of it is pretty bland and not really of note if you were closer I’d say go for it for something different, but I really wouldn’t go the distance your thinking of.

jekkyl

No it isn’t worth 4hrs in the car. Go to Cannock and include some stile cop as well or just go for a wander, up there over there down there and over there again. There’s loads there.

nowad
    Free Member

No

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll knock it off the list, may go south, I will see how I feel when I hit the M50 as to whether I go the extra to cwmcarn.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I live half an hour away and I don’t go there….

ads678

It’s not worth a 4 hour drive, but it can be a fun ride. I was there on Sunday with my 10 year old son and rode the red and the bike park, it was a great ride. I was even riding an inapropriate commencal meta am!!

robfury
    Free Member

My 4year old son rides the red route no problem make of that what you will. Pretty bland. He also rides Dalby blue route and that is more tricky and fun.

alanf
    Free Member

There’s not much change in elevation to work with so it’s not really the same as other trail centres.

I find the red route takes about 40 minutes to get round and riding it fast gets the best out of it.

If I go, which is not very often, it’s a fast XC blast round the red, stop at car for a drink etc and then repeat.

I only live about 40 mins away and probably ride it once or twice a year as a change. I normally ride the dark peak so this is completely different.

I wouldn’t do a 4 hour round trip there though.

Milkie
    Free Member

… will see how I feel when I hit the M50 as to whether I go the extra to cwmcarn.

Cwmcarn might be extremely hot at the moment, not sure if its open.

BillOddie

Cymcarn is still shut I think.

I live about an hour away from Sherwood Pines and it’s alright-ish.  My kids like it and it’s a good place for them to learn without having to slog up some endless fireroad which isn’t great with my kids.

My eldest has recently graduated to dealing with the braking bumps of Cannock and he likes it better there.  He prefers Coed-y-Brenin though!  But don’t we all.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

It’s just about worth the 30 minute drive.

It’s flat as a mill pond though.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Theft from the car park is pretty rife at the moment, one guy this week had his carrier ripped from the rear of his car, they took the bike and the carrier and badly damaged the hatch at the same time.

stevextc
    Free Member

Theft from the car park is pretty rife at the moment, one guy this week had his carrier ripped from the rear of his car, they took the bike and the carrier and badly damaged the hatch at the same time.

We were there a couple of years ago… wouldn’t go back deliberately anyway as it’s flat as a pancake…

Ended up driving the then 6yr old to the Peaks to get some riding in….

However we were meeting Gran… and stopped for a week and bikes we pretty much being stolen continually.. both from the parking and where we stayed next door in Forest la la land…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve been a few times.  Love the place although i’ve always gone full blast all the way around.  It flows so well that it almost feels like the uphills are going down….

If you pootle uphill and smash it down hill then a wouldnt bother.  If you’re pretty fit and fancy a flat out race effort it’s brilliant.

iain1775
    Free Member

its not even worth the 30 seconds its taken me to type this

I’m 30 mins away, so much better riding in the area

MoreCashThanDash

Pines is what it is, you can’t change geology. It’s a fast xc route for experienced riders, a good intro for newbies.

No point slagging it off.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks again,

I went to FOD, couple of laps of the verderers and a lap of the free miners. I did wonder about cwmcarn being closed, so left that for another day. I think I will visit Sherwood pines, but maybe on a Sunday when there is less traffic about.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

/\ as above if you can pedal hard it’s a fun XC track, if you pootle it’s dull as.

the wife loves it because it is flattish she cried at hamsterly too much uphill firetrails ,

went with a mate to pines in November time we raced it, had a right blast .

Had a couple of crashes from over exertion and speed due a general lack of using our brakes and overcooking corners..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood pines..’ is closed to new replies.