Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Sherwood Forest – big cat? oh heck I think I'm seeing things
  • busydog
    Free Member

oldagepredator–here is a link to a really good side profile

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/wildlife-sightings/mountain-lions/description-and-signs

amodicumofgnar

Nah, this was the forest not the pines.

Was just on the way back from my first trip out on the mountain bike in a couple of months. Had been exploring some of the tracks and trails outside of the National Nature Reserve / SSSI bit.

More like trying to make Clumber Park more exciting.

amodicumofgnar

busydog – definately wasnt 7 to 8 ft long. So if it was a big cat then its not fully grown.

busydog
    Free Member

maybe you have a whole bunch, unseen and breeding :wink:in the woods—might cut down trail congestion a bit if word was “leaked”

stevomcd
    Free Member

13thFloorMonk’s video was shot in my home town. Was pretty big news locally at the time in a “seriously?” kind of way.

I can’t believe anyone can look at that and not just see it as a domestic cat.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

a bit big don’t you think stevomcd?

busydog
    Free Member

+1 stevomcd

If you look at the size of the cat vs the size of the rails and crossties, I’d vote for large, domestic cat. Big cats I have seen (admittedly only 2 cougar in the wild) walk with a much more deliberate, intense movement and very seldom in the wide-open like that–ane they keep their tails down low.

stevomcd
    Free Member

TJ – nope.

I’m with busydog, if it turned and walked across the track, it would comfortably fit in the space between the rails twice over. That space is (approximattely) 4 feet wide.

_tom_
    Free Member

There have been reports of big cats round here (northamptonshire). Never come across one and I completely forgot about it til this thread!

Googling shows that a lot of them are spotted along Brampton Valley Way – I ride this occasionally as it’s really close by, and now am a bit tempted to give it a ride tomorrow out of curiosity 😯

“post a picture of your bike next to a wild cat” 😆

juiced
    Free Member

do a search – someone posted a pic of a big cat somewhere ( not sure if sherwood) 6 months – 1 yr ago

busydog
    Free Member

“post a picture of your bike next to a wild cat

Now that will certainly cut down on trail traffic and the poster of same will be legend (or lunch).

busydog
    Free Member

Sorry for the screw-up on “quote”—must be the second Jack Daniels at fault

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Forest – big cat? oh heck I think I'm seeing things’ is closed to new replies.