Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Sheffield/Chesterfield's most up-its-ar$e restaurant with cycling jersy?
    Free Member

http://www.93ft.com/product-design/nonnas-3/

Yes, even fake people visit ches-vegas.

Would anyone buy a cycling jersy sporting logo's for a restaurant/cougar spot?

aP
    Free Member

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm sure you could be a little more negative without it coming across much worse.

cp

the same reason they'd ride round with any other team jersey on, irrespective of jersey sponsors?

not sure why people do that at all really, as in to look like a team they are not a member of..?

oldgit
    Free Member

It could be the cycling equivalent to the pub football team kit.

I seem to remember riding with some restaurant guys near Regent St back in the early eighties.
    However I ride a Planet X, just need to change Nonas to North Sea Chippy and Peroni to Coke and I'll have one.

Pook

I don't like Nonna's. There food wasn't very good when i went in.

theotherjonv

seen this phrase a few times now, what's a 'cougar'

Don't really want to google it in case there are pics.

oldgit
    Free Member

Along the lines of MILF. It's an American phrase.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I believe that they have a jersey because they sponsor a team? What's wrong with that?

My cycling club is sponsored by a local estate agents and the bang & olufsen shop. We wear their logos as they put money into the club to help pay for facilities etc.

We ride around the local area wearing their logo, they put something back into the local community

It's just old school local advertising innit?

oldgit
    Free Member

Hello VC Lincoln.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Hello Oldgit! Do i know you then?

jimmy

Nonna's suck ****. What a terrible place irrespective of cycle jerseys.

oldgit
    Free Member

No, but the simalarity between your jersey and my local CC Luton has confused me a few times.

tracknicko
    Free Member

quite enjoyed nonna's. what;s everyone problem with it? this is sheffield mind. is there one in chessy too?

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Huh,
    Was chatting to a guy closely involved with cycling in Sheffield about this jersey, he was saying the owner was keen to try and attract more cyclists to the place, wanted to have it as somewhere for cyclists to meet etc. going to offer discounts for people wearing the jersey. Seemed like a nice idea to me. Never been to Nonnas (despite working on eccy road) and understand the customers verge on the pretentious but everything I've heard about the restaurant suggest it's a genuinely nice place owned by a lovely family. Why all the hate? (genuinely interested) Or is that a stupid question to ask on STW?

porterclough
    Free Member

Never been to Nonnas (despite working on eccy road) and understand the customers verge on the pretentious but everything I've heard about the restaurant suggest it's a genuinely nice place owned by a lovely family. Why all the hate? (genuinely interested)

Rightly or wrongly the image is of a bunch of orange people sitting outside just so they can be seen looking at their own Porsches and Ferraris. If you've ever been to Wilmslow you'll get the idea.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

An image that is universally known throughout Sheffield, does that mean the Restaurant isn't a nice place? People I know who've been tell me it's great if you brush the chip of your shoulder.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

I was thinking the same about the comments but i'm biased,I know someone who works at the new Chesterfield one and he is a keen mountain biker and one of the owners is a roadie and is putting some money into a new venture with X Planet for the local scene as I understand it.

Will send him this link as feedback though 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

went in with the mrs. im a 27 year old student. she is not orange. we were served excellently by about 6 different staff, made to feel really, really welcome. had a 30min chat at the end with the guy about coffee.

if everyone's issue with the place is that there are oompa loompas on the balcony then i think you need to get a grip.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

I agree, lack of responses seems to suggest people are going by reputation/impression alone, which is a pity.

jimmy

understand the customers verge on the pretentious but everything I've heard about the restaurant suggest it's a genuinely nice place owned by a lovely family.

For me, its not my kind of place or filled kind of people I want to be surrounded by when having a drink. It is full of one penny millionaires, there to be seen there. Food might be good but its the attitude of customers more than the staff.

But also, people very close to me have had dealings with the Nonna's owners which I'm not going to go into. I guess you could put it down to ruthless business minds, which, considering they have done well for themselves, can't really be sniffed at. Live and let live, I just won't be going there in a hurry.

freddyg
    Free Member

I mean really; who gives a stuff about the other clientelle? Isn't it all about the restaurant, food, staff and your experience? Do you really give a monkeys about what other people might/might not be doing/watching?

jimmy

i see your point, but it is part of the experience, no? if you went to a nice restaurant that was full of raucous kidz being cocks would you say the same? If the food was THAT good I might change my mind but I don't remember it so.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Yeah but Jimmy, loud kids cause noise and genuine disturbance. How does the attitude/appearance of a person influence your experience other than if you perceive it to bother you?

Richie_B

I mean really; who gives a stuff about the other clientelle? Isn't it all about the restaurant, food, staff and your experience? Do you really give a monkeys about what other people might/might not be doing/watching?

I have nothing against the place like has already been said the food is alright and the staff friendly but its the only place I have ever eaten at where a meal has been ruined by the other customers who on the whole seemed to be exactly as described above. Its not having a chip on your shoulder to dislike sharing space with people who think that just because they are wearing 'the right' clothes and are throwing more money around that that gives them the right to talk loudly across your table, unsubtly try to crowd you out and generally act like morons. Like I said the staff and owners are friendly but they do nothing discourage their behaviour. From a business point of view it makes sense because we get out once in a blue moon and the other lot seem to be out every night. Its just not a place I would go back to.

Having said that if the owners want to put money into local clubs fair play to them (There are plenty of clubs in Sheffield and Chessie which don't have their name on their jerseys if it upsets you so much).

tracknicko
    Free Member

pretty empty the night i went. can you not just go when its quiet?

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Richie_B, that sounds chuffin' awful.

jimmy

Wiredchops – have you been there?

pretty empty the night i went. can you not just go when its quiet?

Still wouldn't. There are still better places to go for food.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Oldgit – North Sea Chippy? Are you mad?

Lords' Fish and Chips from the van parked outside the Falcon on a Monday night every time – om nom nom 😉

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Jimmy,
    Read my posts, Richi_B describes a genuinely unpleasant experience, your dislike of being 'surrounded' by people that aren't your type just sounds like a bizarre form of inverted snobbery.

Anyway, I'm off.

oldgit
    Free Member

tarka you git, I can smell them now. I've only ever had them once and they weren't that nice, should I try again?

But that smell, sweet Jesus. Riding round the woods in the middle of winter through the night, and the smell from his chip van wafts over. It shouldn't be allowed under the Geneva convention as it makes me feel so hungry it's cruel.

oldgit
    Free Member

Anyway, the Falcon? so who are you then and have we ever met?

jimmy

Richi_B summed it up very well. Maybe I didn't get my point across as well, but I was meaning the same thing.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I had some last night in fact, and they were aces – bang goes the diet then…
    I don't think we've met – we only moved to LB from Germany last October; but you often mention local landmarks, and I'm sure that once you said you lived in Linslade.
    To be honest, I had wondered offhand if you were my mate Chris before that; but he lives on Grove Road.
    I sometimes go out with some lads on a Thursday night in Woburn or Totternhoe, but I'm still finding my feet a bit in the local area.
    So if you ever fancy having an XC Jeyboy along (I climb like a goat on crack, but descend like a old-lady goat with a fear of falling off) – I'm always up for a ride (leave-pass from my wife notwithstanding).
    Incidentally, are there any decent local clubs about?

hora
    Free Member

I would only advertise someones product if they PAID me or gave me the top for free 😐

although if there was a bike tshirt for "Tony's Titty Bar' I'd happily buy one to wear

oldgit
    Free Member

tarka, got an email address?

to pace@fsmail.net

freeform5spot
    Free Member

like the place. food excellent. bar staff are utterly crap though!

Free Member

Well, I didn't expect this reply.

I'd like to second the comment on the one-penny millionaires and that 'desire' to be 'seen' (I know of a chap who is a regular customer and only drinks water, on the pretence of being 'above' drinking, the reality is he can't afford to be there in the first instance, never mind paying to drink water… anyway .. my point being it used to be a decent venue with plenty of genuinely nice people, seems to have changed now.

Food = average, service pretty good and quite overpriced.

I didn't know about the new venture with planet-x that would be quite interesting and I wonder who the roady is? Jan?

I don't fancy wearing a restaurant branded jersey, then again, I don't really wear anything with major branding…

MrSmith
    Free Member

i'm from that london and never been to the grim north but this nonnas looks like a nice place? it's almost worth putting my best rapha jersey on and riding my expensive handmade Italian road bike up there for a nice macchiato.
    or is it full of orange people with personalised number plates?

brakes
    Free Member

I went to Nonna's around Christmas time, it was really nice
    good food, nice atmosphere, not pretentious at all
    the desserts were possibly some of the nicest I've ever had (we shared 4)

Rivett
    Free Member

I quite like the look of it. The jersey that is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield/Chesterfield's most up-its-ar$e restaurant with cycling jersy?’ is closed to new replies.