Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sheffield people – what’s it like?
  • Creg

I’ve got the opportunity to start a degree in September at Sheffield Hallam Uni. Probably the worst time to go to Uni but I’ve been putting it off the last two years and if I don’t make the jump now then I never will.

It’s a city I have never been to, know nothing about it other than steel, Full Monty, Steve Peat, Arctic Monkeys.

So, what’s it like? How easy is it to get from the city out into the Peaks without a car? Reasonable city to live in?

johndoh
    Free Member

They have (or had the last time I was there) Lahore Indian Cafe at Wicker Arches. That’s enough for anyone.

MarkE25

I’ve lived in SW Sheffield for the last 20 years and really like it. It is possible to ride out into the Peak easily enough from the city (especially the SW side) and there are lots of nice trails on the edge of the city (Blacka Moor and Houndkirk areas). Both universities are good and there are not many other places in the UK with the mix of city facilities and decent riding so close by.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pieface

Its great, access to the outdoors and the laid-back attitude is what its all about, I moved here from Leeds afer studying there and much prefer Sheffield. You can ride in to the PDNP from the city centre in about 30 minutes, or get the train to the Derwent Valley (Hope, Edale etc.). I used to do all of my bike rides from the likes of Crookes and covered most of the bikeable parts of the Dark Peak, then there’s Wharncliffe, Parkwood Springs (Urban bike trails), Lady Cannings etc….

However its not a city in the way thet London, Birmingham, Leeds, Birstol, Manchester and Glasgow are, the city centre is quite down in the mouth, but there’s plenty being re-developed, but there’s still plenty to do in that respect. There is night-life but not in the same league as those places, same with shopping but plenty of pubs in the Walkley / Crookes area. We have Tramlines in the summer and there’s always something on, though tends to be more of the alternative vibe.

I moved here 20 years ago and never looked back. I work at Hallam, which course are you doing and where are you thinking of living?

docrobster
    Free Member

I came here for uni in 1988
    Still here…
    You can cycle to the peak. 20 minutes from my house (admittedly on the western edge, but not much further from Hallam campus on Eccy road). Or trains buses etc.
    It’s a fantastic place to live if you like the outdoors. Not got the nightlife of say Manchester but that’s only an hour away by train and what we have here is still pretty good as a student. Hope the leadmill survives Covid.
    Agree re it being a funny time to go, my son is starting at man met in September….

Creg

Thanks for the replies so far folks, sounds like a decent city. Coming from a small village I think any city will be a bit of a shock although I did spend some time living in Manchester a couple of years ago (less than a year). Nightlife doesn’t bother me that much, especially since I stopped drinking over two years ago. Will still head to a bar that plays decent music though, just no more clubbing!

Good to know the peaks are easily accessible too. I’m more of a road rider than off road as my confidence levels are absolute shit but I’d love to find some decent XC type stuff for big days out

I work at Hallam, which course are you doing and where are you thinking of living?

Studying Occupational Therapy, going to see what I can find in halls if they have any that are fairly quiet/non party halls.

Agree re it being a funny time to go, my son is starting at man met in September….

Yeah it’s a very odd time, I’ll be a mature student too at the tender age of 37

docrobster
    Free Member

Hi Creg
    If you’re a roadie then look up common lane occasionals on Facebook
    A few of the guys I know who are more road based ride with them and say they are an inclusive bunch
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/CommonLaneOccasionals/?ref=share

matt_outandabout

OP – we moved from ‘little village’ of Twynholm to Sheffield 22 years ago. Supposedly for a year for my wife to train as a teacher – we stayed 10 years, had three kids and settled in.

There’s not many cities I could have stayed in that time. The proximity of the Peak helps, as does the welcoming attitude of Sheffielders.

It’s like all cities, avoid living in some parts and keep your wits about you on a Friday night.

But do it, it’s a great place.

GHill

I love it (not sure if this is encouraging or not). Road riding from here is magnificent too, as long as you don’t mind hills.

Creg

If you’re a roadie then look up common lane occasionals on Facebook
    A few of the guys I know who are more road based ride with them and say they are an inclusive bunch

That’s great, thanks for the info. I haven’t ridden on the road in a year or so as the roads here are awful with traffic so I do more zwifting now but would be good to get out with some riders who are a bit forgiving.

Road riding from here is magnificent too, as long as you don’t mind hills.

Time served North Yorkshire Moors cyclist so hills are fine…kind of.

MoreCashThanDash

Only visited for gigs at Don Valley and work meetings at Meadowhall back in the 90s. I vaguely remember a Police horse throwing its rider and galloping towards oncoming traffic on the Attercliffe Road (tbf, it was a Bon Jovi gig) and a pub near there that had a sign advertising “Strippers – Thursday and Friday Night and Sunday lunchtime”

Pook

Looking out of my window at the peaks right now from the western suburbs. I came here for uni nearly twenty years ago and settled in. Great place. Not a big city, more a big village feel but there’s enough to go on. Great, great biking too, especially from the student areas where a quick leg spin up the porter valley will get you into the peaks.

Sheffielders are a nice bunch.

Bradfield beer is better than abbeydale.

bikerevivesheffield

Live in Crookes and love it, riding round here is ace, food and drinking is amazing – no name for food, cawa for coffee, plus whaletown too. Friendly local bike mechanic (Ahem and a great vibe in general

docrobster
    Free Member

Morecash- the dog and partridge has closed now, apparently attercliffe is the next place to be gentrified now that Kelham island is old news. There is a jazz club there now so that may be true…

Superficial
    Free Member

there are not many other places in the UK with the mix of city facilities and decent riding so close by.

This, totally.

I used to live in Manchester which is, on paper, just the other side of the peak. But when I lived there, I would always have to drive for 40-60mins to start a ride. In Sheffield, I ride from my front door. I love living here.

I haven’t been to the city centre for years, and it definitely feels a bit parochial compared to the likes of Manchester, B’ham, Liverpool or even Leeds. But I don’t care about that at all.

tuboflard

I love this city OP. As others have said, the ability to get in the Peak in double quick time as well as nice links out to the main riding areas makes it perfect. I’m south west of the city too and can see Blacka Moor trails from my office window…

There is from what I can tell a thriving road scene too. One club meets just two doors down from me each Tuesday and typically attracts 20 plus riders. Some great gravel riding too.

Places like Kelham Island have come on loads in recent years, a great food scene, developments like Kommune will hopefully bring the city centre back. I quite like that it’s still rough around the edges though. My normal office is next to a pub called The Norfolk Arms in town, think bags full of meat being sold in carrier bags by local scallies. Never a dull moment.

World class climbing and bouldering too within easy reach if that’s your thing. I’d never live anywhere else.

bikerevivesheffield

Edale mrt are close too 🤔😀

slowoldman

Well it’s over 40 years since my student days at Sheffield Poly as it then was (so my recollections may not be relevant). I came from a small pit village and it didn’t seem overwhelming, quite a human scale for a city, lots of nice little green spaces. I lived variously around Ranmoor, Nether Edge. Look to those sort of areas, Totley too, for good Peak access.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m intrigued that docrobster can name the pub….🤣

Riofer
    Free Member

Similar to others came to Sheffield over 20 years ago and stayed. Always felt like lots of connected communities or villages to me. Great riding from the door on the west side north and south. Plenty of creative culture both big and small going on all over the city.

steveh

Another vote for came here 23 years ago and never left. Sheffield has the highest student retention rates after graduation I remember being told. As others have said it’s a city but doesn’t feel like one, lots of great riding options, freidnly feel, green spaces etc. I’m sure there’s no other city like it!

jeffl

So I don’t live in Sheffield, but work there. I quite like it. Lots of good riding, nice vibe, decent travel connections.

City centre is a bit odd, no real centre, but lots of interesting places to go. The only thing I would say is that Meadowhell means that lots of city centre shops (Next, that kind of thing) have abandoned the city centre but that’s not a big deal for me.

If we weren’t settled where we are with kids in schools I’d definitely go and join the de-dars. If renting then try and get something out towards endcliff park for nice spin up into the Peaks.

sharkattack

I’ll just echo what people have said above really. If you have to live in England it’s probably as good as it gets if you favour green spaces and outdoor activities over an exciting city centre.

I came here just over 3 years ago with no plans at all. Now we’ve bought a house and settled in with no intention of leaving.

I used this website to find my first rooms- http://www.spareroom.co.uk

If you picture the city centre as a clock face, you really want to live between 5 and 9. Also since you’re a bit older and you’ve stopped drinking you might want to avoid obvious student areas. They can really ruin your quality of life!

Creg

Thanks for the replies, sounds like an amazing city and I’m looking forward to moving there a lot more now.

Pieface

A lot of the Hallam intake is mature students, especially on courses like OT so don’t expect you’ll feel that young amongst your cohort.

BillMC

I thought Sheffield was very nice, was attending a graduation at SHU. Sure the centre has been set up for shelling out money and it’s a bit unfocussed but there’s a sense of civic pride, good art gallery, not much litter, great public transport, some switched on locals (I was there during the election). Coming back from the Peaks you pass the city centre sign whilst you’re still in the country. I love the quarry route out of Calver (but sorely miss those Highland cattle). Kelham Island pubs are great for food and vibe even if you do pass up the opportunity for some outrageously good beer (with twigs in). You could do a lot lot worse than Sheffield.

tlr

Nothing different to add: same story as everyone else. Came to uni here 30 years ago for the climbing, and still here today.

Hardly ever go into the town except for restaurants, and even though we live about as far west as it’s possible to be (in Dore), it’s still only a £12 taxi home.

Can’t remember the last time I put either road Bike or mtb in the car, always ride from home. Having Blacka as the last descent of a ride always makes me think how lucky I am.

So basically, it’s shit, don’t bother…

tlr

Oh, and yeah CLO (common lane Occasionals) are a great club with a broad mix of riders and a love of beer. I am a member, but don’t do the 8am rides very often.

Rutland and Sheffrec are a bit more traditional style road clubs I think, a few people have migrated away from them to CLO recently.

tlr

@tuboflard – where are you then, if you can see Blacka and a Tuesday meet? By the Cross Sythes?

tuboflard

@tlr spot on! A few doors up on the left going out of town. Great spot (but I would say that).

ElShalimo

Not much to add except I went to uni there in the mid-90s and still miss the place.

tlr

@tuboflard, ah, sweet.

That’s not actually a club meet on a Tuesday, it’s just me and a few mates, but if you look closely there are a few ex pros in there (not me, I hasten to add).

ampthill

I did teacher training there in the 1990s. But left to find work. My son went to university there and I’ve been back loads

The house sharing scene is good value. Might be preferable to halls and cheaper. A friend runs this company but there will be loads of other options

http://www.mmproperties.co.uk/

House shares they give the option to approve new tenants

Have fun

tuboflard

@tuboflard, ah, sweet.

That’s not actually a club meet on a Tuesday, it’s just me and a few mates, but if you look closely there are a few ex pros in there (not me, I hasten to add).

Ah, always assumed it was a club meet up. No jerseys though so should have perhaps guessed. Can see there being a few pros in there too, always going at a good pace past my house!

johnx2
    Free Member

Went to uni there mid-80s. Used to ride my commuter/tourer across the heather from lodge moor, stanedge, down to burbage. Returned for a few months late 80s and a few of my mates had actually acquired mountain bikes, and would practice getting ‘ayar’ in Walkley kids playground. All I got was bruised bollocks. Didn’t make enough of the climbing either, in retrospect. Too busy being trendy. Jumpers for bleeding goalposts.

Not a big city, more a big village

is what everyone says, and for a reason.

the highest student retention rates after graduation

It didn’t retain me, but then as anyone who’s seen the documentary ‘the full monty’ knows, there wasn’t much work apart from stripping. This may have changed.

finbar
    Free Member

Well – for an alternative perspective – I’m finding road riding from Sheffield pretty grim at the moment. The Peak District is in permanent Bank Holiday mode with cars and motorbikes racing everywhere. Even random roads in Strines on a weekday often have 3 cars parked in every lay-by and lots of litter 🙁 .

jet26
    Free Member

You get the idea from everyone else. We live close to Hallam collegiate campus. Five min ride to Endcliffe park (if that) and then off road all the way to the Peak District by MTB. Some cracking road riding too, although some of the bigger roads (Snake Pass especially) need to be out very early to avoid traffic (6am and before in summer).

Some cracking road and off road riding. Easy drive to Manchester airport, London under 2 hours by train, direct trains to Edinburgh/Glasgow/South West.

Not really anything to dislike, apart from lack of big city life as others have said (would argue that’s a plus!)

Fewer high end restaurants than Leeds/Manchester/Brum if you like that kind of thing.

docrobster
    Free Member

Finbar- I agree road riding right now isn’t very pleasant. I think there’s a few things. Lockdown drivers, good weather, and around strines people have been flocking to either catch a glimpse of the vulture or have a dip in agden or dale dyke res. We went for a dog walk up there Sunday morning and there also appeared to be a MotoGP race going on, as well as an mg tf rally, and a chav nova meet all at the same time.
    That’s why my road bike doesn’t get much use at the moment. I think it might be like that all over though.

andy8442
    Free Member

The BBC made a documentary about Sheffield only a few years ago. I think it maybe still available on the iPlayer or youtube. It’s called Threads.

tuboflard

The BBC made a documentary about Sheffield only a few years ago. I think it maybe still available on the iPlayer or youtube. It’s called Threads.

This one? I’m pretty sure South Yorkshire Police stopped using Rovers for police cars in 2017 and also sure Woolies on The Moor closed with less of a bang than that 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield people – what’s it like?’ is closed to new replies.