Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sheffield bike theft
  • BillMC

Blue Giant Stance E 1 large stolen from shed last night. Door lock, D lock and two heavy steel chain locks broken. They’ve taken the busted locks, seems quite professional. I’ve had this bike 2 weeks and 2 rides.

fossy

Oof, sorry to hear.

davros

Hard luck. Hopefully insurance will cover it. What area? I’ll keep an eye out in sharrow.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    docrobster
    Free Member

Shit. Whereabouts in Sheff?

chevychase

That sucks big time. Sorry to hear that 🙁

I had a dream last night that my hardtail was solen. But if they did that Id be well pissed off as i keep my bikes in the living room

sharkattack

I work in the city centre and there’s dozens of scrotes flying around on expensive e-bikes. I’ll keep a look out for a blue Giant.

I’m still hoping to spot one of my missing bikes one day.

doris5000

Door lock, D lock and two heavy steel chain locks broken.

Bloody hell. That must have taken a while?

hatter

Dammit, looks like you really went out your way to secure it too.

The sheer level of determination suggests it was targeted and they knew exactly what they were looking for.

I’m looking hard at getting proper GPS trackers fitted to both our E-bikes, the scrotes just bloody love ’em.

tuboflard

Sorry to hear OP. One of my colleagues had an ebike nicked from outside our office last week down by Park Square Roundabout. Right under a CCTV camera and overlooked by the office too but clearly don’t give a shit.

BillMC

Botanical Gardens

bikerevivesheffield

Hi Billmc I’m up the road, no help but I’ll be supplying and fitting the powunity trackers for ebikes from Monday, will also keep my eyes pealed

jeffl

Used to work down at Victoria Quays. Bikes were locked by the back entrance with CCTV. But people had a few stolen as scrotes just wear hoodies and baseball caps to hide their faces from CCTV. I managed to chase one once as the slightly overweight security guard was struggling. After shouting and swearing they dumped the bike and legged it so my colleague got his bike back.

After that we all took our bikes into the office itself as management had a mini-mutiny on their hands due to lack of secure cycle storage.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’m guessing they will need a charger eventually, so maybe let the giant shop know, in case they or someone else goes in to by a charger. An easy way to reduce thefts would be for bike companies to only sell chargers if you show the bikes serial number?

chrisyork

So sorry to hear, the only way you can help these things is to really avoid putting a bike like that in a wooden box (shed)

I speak from experience, we lost 4 a few years back.

ampthill

My sympathy

E bikes could easily have an extra layer of security. Needing a code or handshake with a device. New security module would need clearance that the bike isn’t reported stolen etc.

Tracey

My Turbo Levo has the facility to lock it via the app on my phone. Not sure how good it is or how easy it is to get round. I think its part of the online registration service which also needs proof of purchase

doris5000

E bikes could easily have an extra layer of security. Needing a code or handshake with a device.

I think some of them do – Van Moof and Cowboy at least, possibly others.

I think Van Moof are actually trackable via the Apple ‘find my’ network too.

Sounds good but also an extra thing to go wrong?!

kimbers

I put mine on here and ended up getting it back

Homepage

BillMC

Reported to shop and police. Thanks for the comments

thepodge
    Free Member

I saw someone who didn’t look quite right yesterday on an ebike around Norfolk Park and thought of this thread but it was an LIV not a giant.

Proper sucks to have it stolen but all these comments about how this or that would stop thefts are delusional. It’s either stolen by someone who’ll flog it for £50 down the pub or someone who knows what they are doing and will know how to get round security or strip it for parts & still make a fortune.

sharkattack

When my bikes were taken I printed pictures of them and dropped them in every workshop in town. It hasn’t worked for me but when I was a mechanic I reunited a few people with stolen bikes because the owners had asked us to look out for them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.