Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Sheffield
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like whilst there are some obvious trails in the hills nearby, I might be better off with a ‘gravel’ bike for some mixed riding?

Where should I look at for MTBing in the area?

matt_outandabout

Sheffield local riding is almost as rocky as the rest of The Peak.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which bit of Sheffield? Most of the mountain biking is straight outside the front door.

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends what you plan to ride. A gravel bike or cx will be great for commute, trans pennine trail etc and will cope with most of the Peak at lower speeds and more fear. If you’re after a one bike solution, then a good HT with a fork that is easy to service and doesn’t have short service intervals is my recommendation. FS would get expensive to run quite quickly if used as a daily ride around town – and would also be more of a scrote magnet for hanging on to.

jeffl

I guess you’ve got Parkwood in the city but anything that’s not man made will be in the peaks, which will be rocky. Bit confused by the question TBH.

Though saying that I’ve got my London Road which I’ve taken across Curbar edge when linking some stuff up.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve not touched my mountain bikes since I got my gravel bike.

Totally depends which bit of the city you’re at.

Takes me longer to get to Cannings / Houndkirk / Blacka than it does to get to Ladybower.

cp

The city is pretty much surrounded by options which would allow you to use either/or mtb or cross bike in the same place. Eg. Wharncliffe – great for a cross bike on fire roads and smoother singletrack, also great on a slack mtb for tech trail fun. Or head out to lay cannings and beyond – doable on a cross bike, albeit the roman road and froggat edge is rather uncomfortable on a CX, whereas mtb can be fun.

Blakca moor would be very uncomfortable on a cx bike.

Are you coming for a visit or live here? What do you want by ‘mixed riding’?

molgrips
    Free Member

Which bit of Sheffield?

I’ll be staying in the centre. It’s my next work posting.

The question is about where to ride, since I have looked at the map and whilst there appear to be some trails, it doens’t look like there are very many.

If there aren’t many, then I’d be better off with the gravel bike because I’ll end up doing lots of road… tell me what I am missing..?

The choices are rigid mtb or gravel really. Bouncy bike not so easy.

cp

it doens’t look like there are very many.

Abolsutely shedloads – but OS maps aren’t up to date with all the shared use paths/upgraded bridleways.

here’s a few straight from the city centre.

Just north of the centre – Parkwood Springs. short but fun MTB – good for ‘sessioning’ of an evening.

Bit further north – Wharncliffe and Grenoside. MTB or cross depending what you want to do, trails for both. Ride up from the centre through Beeley wood next to the river – OS maps show footpath but it’s a multi-use trail.

Rivelin/Stannington/Loxley – Ideal CX ground – put together several bits of bridleway and road for ‘mixed’ fun – with potential for one or two skethcy-on-a-cross-bike moments.

Lady Cannings – MTB ideal. Ride up offroad through Endcliffe Park from the top of Eccleshall road. Then you can head out to the roman road and froggat edge (another one that looks footpath on a map but is actually now a bridleway).

Blackmoor – nice way back into the city from Froggat/Lady Cannings. Defo MTB for fun rather than survival…

thepodge
    Free Member

There are quite a few options, I’m not going to list them on the internet as most are largely comprised of places you’re not supposed to ride.

If you want to ride in Sheffield city then you’ll be better off with the gravel bike, for example I recently rode mine from work to Stanage and back.

If you want to ride in the Sheffield area then you’ve got all of the Peak less than 30 minutes away.

You’ll find trails to suit whichever bike you bring.

cp

are largely comprised of places you’re not supposed to ride

there’s loads perfectly legit

cp

OP – how long and when are you here?

thepodge
    Free Member

well yes, there are loads of both

vincienup
    Free Member

Also note that there’s very easy access to the Peak from the city by bike without winching yourself up road climbs. Endcliffe park and Riv Valley are both good access points.

Surprised no one has floated the Vertabrate ‘Dark Peak’ guide yet. It’s a good starting point.

Plenty of groups, Ride Sheffield, Coggers etc on that FB…

Digby

but anything that’s not man made will be in the peaks

I think you will find that pretty much anything in the Peak District will also be ‘man made’.

If you like riding mainly rocky double-track then the Peak District is ideal for a CX bike. There are a small number of decent downhills where a mountain bike is required to get the most of it.

Sheffield and the immediate surrounding area has some amazing riding. What some of the tracks lack in length they make up for with ‘interest’!

You’ll find trails to suit whichever bike you bring

This is very true – you can bring any bike and you will find something to enjoy, but a fair amount of ‘local knowledge’ is required to tie things together – but that is half the fun for some people.

I’m not going to list them on the internet as most are largely comprised of places you’re not supposed to ride

From my perspective, I think the problem is it’s more a case of the attitude of the people riding the places “you’re not supposed to ride” rather than the actual legality per se.

The recent explosion in popularity of the Sheffield cycling scene in general and mountain biking in particular coupled with an unfortunate ‘sense of entitlement’ amongst some of its participants has not done much for PR … 🙁

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Just north of the centre – Parkwood Springs. short but fun MTB – good for ‘sessioning’ of an evening.

Bit further north – Wharncliffe and Grenoside. MTB or cross depending what you want to do, trails for both. Ride up from the centre through Beeley wood next to the river – OS maps show footpath but it’s a multi-use trail.

Rivelin/Stannington/Loxley – Ideal CX ground – put together several bits of bridleway and road for ‘mixed’ fun – with potential for one or two skethcy-on-a-cross-bike moments.

Lady Cannings – MTB ideal. Ride up offroad through Endcliffe Park from the top of Eccleshall road. Then you can head out to the roman road and froggat edge (another one that looks footpath on a map but is actually now a bridleway).

Blackmoor – nice way back into the city from Froggat/Lady Cannings. Defo MTB for fun rather than survival…

This – definitely bring your mountain bike. I’d say that Sheffield probably has some of the most accessible mountain biking in easy reach of the centre than many other cities of it’s size. I live 2.5 miles from the city centre, but can still ride to greno & wharncliffe in less than 30 minutes

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks this is good info.

a fair amount of ‘local knowledge’ is required to tie things together

This is the problem. I’m up for three weeks, maybe more if there’s an extension, and I don’t have time to gain ‘local knowledge’. I need to be able to get out a map and go riding quickly.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d say that Sheffield probably has some of the most accessible mountain biking in easy reach of the centre than many other cities of it’s size.

I used to live in Hillsbrough and thought the ride out to Wharncliffe/Greno was a pain. Proper peaks was certainly not rideable from the doorstep, and practically any route in the Peaks requires some road work.

So I would say gravel/cx bike.

However where I live now is a 30 second ride to off road, so I guess its all down to whats classed as quick 🙂

GHill

Plenty to keep you entertained with either option. If you fancy some gravel bike stuff then just give me a shout and I’d be happy to show you some routes.

antigee

not sure on the complexity or rules but if based city centre then train to hathersage or hope is an option
    I love my CX and there is some great mixed road stuff to be done but their is some unmissable mtb to do first – enjoy

Digby

I don’t have time to gain ‘local knowledge’

In which case … +1 for the Vertebrate Publishing ‘Dark Peak’ guide book

… I’ve lived in my part of Sheffield for nearly 30 yrs and I’m still discovering new bits! 🙂

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I used to live in Hillsbrough and thought the ride out to Wharncliffe/Greno was a pain. Proper peaks was certainly not rideable from the doorstep, and practically any route in the Peaks requires some road work.

that were I currently live and personally don’t see it as a pain as I have to do all of 5 minutes on main roads and then the rest of the route is off road / very quite roads or with a few hundred yards on jawbone before getting the wharncliffe

OP are you bringing a car? if so, deff bring your mountain bike. If you haven’t got time to plan / learn routes, give me a shout and i’ll show you around if your want (if you can ride at a middle aged man pace, if your young and super fit, you’re on your own!)

thepodge
    Free Member

GHill – Plenty to keep you entertained with either option. If you fancy some gravel bike stuff then just give me a shout and I’d be happy to show you some routes.

Is this an offer open to us all? I’m enjoying my gravel bike a lot but wouldn’t mind stretching my legs outside the North West of the city.

sofaboy73 – that were I currently live and personally don’t see it as a pain as I have to do all of 5 minutes on main roads and then the rest of the route is off road / very quite roads or with a few hundred yards on jawbone before getting the wharncliffe

You could be on my street with a description like that.

OP, if you’re only here for 3 weeks then I’d go for mountain bike in the Peak or gravel bike round the city.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers of guiding. Maybe we can have an STW ride? 🙂

I may bring a car, not sure yet. I don’t mind riding out to the hills from the city as long as it’s not madly busy.

I’m up during the week and back home at weekends. Probably Mon-Thurs atm.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

You could be on my street with a description like that.

if you live next to the Wednesday ground, I probably am!

philtricklebank

Plenty of groups of mates go out most evenings of the week. We go every Wednesday night if you want to tag along. Often a location rideable from city centre, but lifts almost certainly available if not.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you want to ride in Sheffield city then you’ll be better off with the gravel bike, for example I recently rode mine from work to Stanage and back.[b]if the potholes are still as bad as they used to be[/b]

There can’t be many cities with more accessible MTB’ing? Ok so the first 3 miles might be on cycle paths, but that’s a decent price to pay for being able to do Stanage/Cannings/Blacka in a short evening ride!

molgrips
    Free Member

I certainly don’t want to ride around a city!

Digby

I certainly don’t want to ride around a city

Well make sure that your accomodation is on the ‘WestSide’ then*

*although areas like Dronfield & Eckington do have some good riding!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

From the city center (Bramal lane roundabout) you pretty much just ride up Ecclesall road to the next roundabout, then into the woods which are a mix of cyclepath and cheeky diversions up into the trees. Up Potters Clough (steep gravel lane), and then you’re in the Peak District. By Sheffield standards it’s a flat ride too!

When coming back in via Dore you can do a diversion up through the rugby club to come back the same way.

sq225917
    Free Member

slack hardtail with a dropper is probably the best bet for taking in everything Sheffield has to offer.

Digby

you pretty much just ride up Ecclesall road to the next roundabout, then into the woods

“Former ‘Student’ perchance?” asked Paul Calf

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Well make sure that your accomodation is on the ‘WestSide’ then*

or north side for greno & wharncliffe (varying degrees of technical, short downhill runs rather than ‘rides’ per say) and easy access to peak via rivlen valley

Digby

or north side for greno & wharncliffe (varying degrees of technical, short downhill runs rather than ‘rides’ per say) and easy access to peak via rivlen valley

All of which are within the ‘Western Hemisphere’ of the Greater Sheffield Metropolis I was referring to with ‘WestSide’! 😉

antigee

ride up Ecclesall road to the next roundabout, then into the woods which are a mix of cyclepath and cheeky diversions up into the trees. Up Potters Clough (steep gravel lane), and then you’re in the Peak District.

if staying in city centre then roundabout is at junction of Eccleshall rd and Brocco Bank, head into Endcliffe Park to start following Porter Brook then through Whitely Woods possibly signposted Forge Dam (5 years since lived in Sheffield) which becomes Porter Clough – after the park far from urban and a good way out of the city by bike

Digby

if staying in city centre then roundabout is at junction of Eccleshall rd and Brocco Bank

I’d given up with TINAS’ post after his student spelling but at least he did get Ecclesall Road correct … 😉

jeffl

If you’re in Sheffield for three weeks bring the MTB and do some of the routes from the VP Dark Peak book.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mr grips, send me an email (in profile), i’ll gladly show you around.

matt_outandabout

I was mean to be in Sheffield next week, I had rides out to the Peak with mates lined up an everyfink. However the course I was on has been cancelled. 🙁

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield’ is closed to new replies.