Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shedtrack world buy vs build
  • duncancallum

I’ve run out of storage for bikes and general stuff. So I’m looking at a shed that enables be to store 2 cheaper bikes in vertically and put some shelves in for general not required junk like DIY stuff enabling by good bikes to live in the work room sn allow me to work on them.

Size wise as its sitting alongside my garage its needs to be no more than 4ft and width wise I’m thinking 5 or 6ft.

Doors on the 6ft side at one end.

No windows.

My thoughts are 8×4 osb onto a frame made with scant. Pent roof clad in upvc tongue n groove with a ground anchor underneath or do I buy a shed for similar money?

One thing I’m gonna do is put some feet down to help with damp Decking feet

So any flaws you can see or should I just buy one?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im planning something similar. Pricing it up and like for like its cheaper to build your own. The double edged sword is the temptation to massively over spec it. You could end up with fort knox when in reality the £99 shed from b&q would have satisfied the brief.

jam-bo

At the cheaper end, you can’t buy the wood for the same price as they supply £99 b&q specials for. But they are shit.

Go up in price and you can build a better quality shed for the same price as you can buy one but it’ll cost you time.

If it’s an awkward space then building your own can maximise space. If it’s alongside the garage then build off the garage or it’s a whole wall you can’t access to treat/paint etc.

duncancallum

One option is a metal shed and a base that’s the cheapest option so far.

I’m reckoning on 150 timber 100 quid cladding

The appeal of building one is it’s easier….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If it’s an awkward space then building your own can maximise space.

I did this, and ended up with a frame built shed, with insulated roof, breather membrane and DG windows. It’s strong enough that the whole family were stood on the roof with no worries in the summer.

However, I’ve built it that way as a learning exercise because next year I’m building a proper garden office.

TheFlyingOx

My experience of recently putting up a bought shed for the village playgroup is that QC is very hit and miss – a lot of fannying about to get all panels to line up correctly – and even then it’s a bit flimsy. Self build for the same price would have been much more robust and much better made. It’s what we’ll do when this one falls down in a couple of years.

hooli

I priced it up a year or 2 ago and I couldn’t buy the materials for the price of a mid range Tiger sheds job. I decided to rather spend the extra time riding my bike.

alexpalacefan

I had a Tiger shed at the last place.
    Cheaper than the timber, and massive saving on labour, particularly as I only have basic woodworking tools.
    They make to order, so I was able to get one of the dimensions reduced to match my pre-existing base.
    Highly recommended,

APF

lesgrandepotato

Bought one recently for £150 quid secondhand. Reasonable size at 5*3. Needed a new roof which was a few quid and several pots of paint.
    Decent amount of storage for the money.

duncancallum

No worky

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shedtrack world buy vs build’ is closed to new replies.