Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sheds, quite big good quality ones.
  • phil5556

I’m hoping to build a shed in the garden over the winter, I’ve got a mate coming to look at putting a base in for it and I plan to get a kit to build up.

Any recommendations please for where to get it from? I’ve seen Tuin, who else is good?

It will be garage size and I’m only doing it once so something decent quality.

Cheers

sadexpunk

have you priced up a kit vs sourcing wood yourself and building to your exact spec?

phil5556

Not a bad idea but I have compared cost vs time vs effort vs motivation. And I’m afraid I’ve come to the conclusion that it needs to be as easy as possible or it won’t get done!

mlbaker
    Free Member

I just got a Tiger Shed (tigersheds.com) and it is good quality and a good price. Lead time is quite long though

hot_fiat

Built a Dunster House “chalet” a while ago. Kit was generally good, went together properly, only one warped log out of about 200. The only issue I saw really was that the doors were utter crap. Rickety, wobbly, insecure junk. So if I were to do it again, I’d have a joiner come in and hang some 3rd party doors.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve got a Tuin, only minor issue was we had to get a lock replaced after about a year, but that was sent FOC and no hassle

welshfarmer

You probably don’t need to build the underground bunker (though it would be cool!)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Have a word with these guys https://gardensheduklimited.co.uk

Owned by a mate of mine and he’s beyond a perfectionist. They include a full install service with the price.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You may or may not know but I’m a builder type, I costed everything up and even I eventually decided to let a local indie shedmaker bloke supply and fit me my summerhouse/manshed. It even came pre sprayed.

v8ninety

I’m in the process of making my shed/garage type thing. I had a concrete pad laid, bought a shedload of 2×4 and a load of 8”posts. Put the posts up on galv post stands bolted to the pad, joined them all together with timber. I made some pent trusses out of the 2×4, plonked them up on top. Laid some membrane over the trusses, then some ebay bought slight second metal roofing. Clad the frame in ply, then membrane, then feather edge. I’m just working out how to do windows and doors now. It’s been a learning experience, and probably not the cheapest way to do it. But the structure is amazingly strong now, and it’s been an enjoyable process.

gingerman69

Avoid billyoh – poor quality, warped wood, missing parts, customer service that hands you one person to next – not the enjoyable shed build I had hoped for and to top it all now leaks like a sieve from the front angel with windows in it ….

eskay

Bookmarked

phil5556

Excellent thanks some to look at and one to not 👍

DT78
    Free Member

I’m looking to do the same, hopefully in the next year or 2. has anyone used reclaimed double glazed windows / exterior doors in a self build shed? I should have some removed as part of an extension

wrightyson
    Free Member

DT I built an office for the boss out of cedar, I fitted new upvc in that, had them in wood grain though as I’d say white would look a bit gash. Most awkward part is getting a nice detail on the reveals, just needs a bit of forethought.

dovebiker

I built one of the ‘kit’ large summerhouse about 12 years ago – made from 50mm solid timber. Rather than the cheap chipboard and felt roof, replacing with roofing grade OSB and cedar shingles. Took a day to build the 4 walls and a further couple of days to do the roof as I put some insulation in too. I use it as a workshop for my business and it’s been fine – haven’t had to do anything since. Probably replace the doors and windows if I was being fussy. Whilst it’s not heated, no problems with damp or condensation – I’d avoid an uninsulated metal roof for that reason alone as it’ll drip like crazy. If doing it again, I’d possibly look at using cedar cladding over a decent frame and cedar shingles for the roof just because it’s nice stuff to work with.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sheds, quite big good quality ones.’ is closed to new replies.