Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shed security
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

After having had 3 bikes nicked recently from the bike shed on my decking I’m going for an Almax chain and squire lock secured to a concrete fence post (behind the shed) through a hole I’m going to cut and then around the top tubes of three bikes of lower value (the main bikes live in the house).

What I’m after is an alarm (motion sensor or door mounted) that trips a quiet alarm or chime in the house while they are busy working out how to cut the Almax, as I’d very much like to meet any thieves on my property, I don’t want them scared off I want them caught.

I can’t find such an alarm so does anyone know of one please?

Thanks
    J

Yes I realise the advice is not confront burglars but you know, FAT.

RustyMac

Alarms in sheds are normally a total PITA as sheds will move in strong winds etc.

gigawhat
    Free Member
    jimdubleyou

I have an Arlo camera, which notifies my phone when any motion is detected.

We get a couple of false alerts a week, but it’s easy to check the video and see what’s going on.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What I’m after is an alarm (motion sensor or door mounted) that trips a quiet alarm or chime in the house while they are busy working out how to cut the Almax, as I’d very much like to meet any thieves on my property, I don’t want them scared off I want them caught.

I get where you are coming from, however what happens when you go away for the night?

What happens when the nice person breaking in who is off their face on drugs knocks you over the head with the bolt cutters they are carrying?

or when you make a citizens arrest and the copper says you have to let them go because they haven’t actually stolen anything, and they don’t have the resource to charge some one for braking in to your shed?

manxshredder1
    Free Member
    iainr
    Free Member

You need this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RCW8RTU/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467516976&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pir+driveway+alarm&dpPl=1&dpID=41Hh4A4lBCL&ref=plSrch

I too have beefed up security but one of these placed well (maybe consider a cat deterrent alarm as well) really does the trick. Two volume settings on the indoor base unit. Cheap as well. There are various larger packs with more sensors etc.

shakers
    Free Member

Bought a cheap shed alarm off fleabay. A mounted PIR sets off an alarm in the house if the connection is broken. It’s battery powered and they last for ages. I test it every time I go in by not turning it off, just to check the batteries are okay. Only had one false activation in 3 years. Must have paid about £8 for that alarm and it well worth it.

Really can’t fathom how it could be defeated. It goes off as soon as I move into the shed space. The PIR could be taken off the wall quite easily but this would break the link to the receiver and I’d be half way down the stairs.

Any chain or lock can ultimately be defeated. I have my bikes tethered to the floor and a big concrete block by quality locks but someone could get through them with enough time so the alarm is key.

Bikes come inside when we’re away.

psycorp
    Free Member

As above don’t confront and don’t really on the police, they absolutely will not give a flying ****. Any shed alarm will do the trick. I have several in my shed and they have successfully scared off thieving numbnuts in the past.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have an almax chain and a noisy alarm because I really want them getting scared off before they even start to think about how to cut the chain.

rone

Jools burger – get an arlo does all you want and a whole lot more. Night vision, recording to cloud and notification to your phone. You also get stickers which will scare off some people.

I don’t agree with the above people who say for confront them or the police won’t give a toss – true to some extent but you’ve got put a plan together yourself. Most folk will think twice if you can call the police whilst in progress and you lean out your windows and give them a scare.

psycorp
    Free Member

I don’t agree with the above people who say for confront them or the police won’t give a toss – true to some extent but you’ve got put a plan together yourself. Most folk will think twice if you can call the police whilst in progress and you lean out your windows and give them a scare.

Agree with it or not but I’m only relaying my personal experience fella. I had over £10k of bikes nicked and all the police were interested in was giving me a reference number and telling me to contact insurance. They actually told me that they “didn’t have the resource to investigate shed theft, despite the value”, so I cant imagine they’ll rush to your aid with “blues n twos” blaring if you phone them saying someone is breaking into my shed! If it was your house that may be a different matter……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shed security’ is closed to new replies.