Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shed lighting – solar panel?
  • brack
    Free Member

Running electrics to my small workshop/ shed is not possible.

Anyone used a solar panel / renewable energy source for power?

Experiences : suggestions

spooky_b329

Easiest and cheapest would be a 12v car battery and a trolley to take it inside and charge up.

It will probably cope with two or three weeks if you are just using it with some 12v camping strip lights/LEDs.

Solar panels will up the cost quite a bit unless you are just thinking of a tiny battery saver type thing that is designed to go on a car dashboard.

TooTall
    Free Member

How much power do you need in your shed? Much more than a bit of lighting and you need mains (or spending a lot on renewable energy kit for no viable return).

hs125
    Free Member

Solar panels seem to be fitted to just about every canal boat I pass on my commute. I guess the set up would be similar to on a shed, so a canal forum may be a better place for info.

http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/solar-panel-information/Guides/ShedsBarnsAndGarages

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I built my own system in the end – bought a 12V solar panel, a charge controller for a street light and a 12V SLA battery with suitable capacity for my needs from EBay. Solar panel sits on the roof, the charger controller is a doddle to connect (6 connections to the panel, battery and load device, a light in this case) – happily runs the light in the shed, an AA/AAA battery charger, radio, mobile charger etc etc though voltage droppers, again from Ebay for a few quid each.

akira

The solar centre do complete kits and sell the batteries and converters for running stuff in your shed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shed lighting – solar panel?’ is closed to new replies.