Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shed Interior – drying
  • soobalias
    Free Member

shed is simple 12×8 with power, the roof is good, but no insulation beyond a couple of mats on the floor.

ive got a dehumidifier and an oil filled electric heater.
    i want to, dedicate space to drying jacket, boots, gloves, bag

do i:
    box in a small corner for drying, a door and possibly insulate it…
    or
    keep the whole thing ‘open plan’ and heat/dehumidify the lot?

something else?

seeking cheap inspiration.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I vote #1 with a dehumidifier. #2 will struggle in the winter when the outside air is damp.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Build an overhang at front or side for hanging stuff out of the rain, and a cupboard drier with some form of heat inside for the cold damp windless days. Dunno if I’d bother insulating it, I’d definitely have some vents in it though for damp air to move.

I vote #1 with a dehumidifier

My dehumidifier won’t work in cold temps, dunno if they’re all like that, it just sits in standby til the place heats up a bit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Take the wet stuff into an occupied area already heated rather than trying to heat the unoccupied outside world via the pretence of trying to contain it in an uninsulated shed.

Ultimately it’ll either make your shed stink as it sits there damp or you’ll spend a fortune on leccy trying to change the atmospheric conditions.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

if you insulate the shed and heat it you’ll need to provide ventilation when it’s being used to dry stuff

soobalias
    Free Member

ok, so need to trial the dehumidifier in the shed, in the cold – see if it actually works

adding ventilation to the shed wouldnt be a problem
    adding insulation, i only intended to insulate/ventilate a built in drying cupboard.
    overhang, its an option i hadnt considered.

nice argos link – i could wrap the heater & dehumidifier in a tent 😀

unfortunately no options to bring the wet/muddy stuff into the house, simply not enough space.

at present the gear has to dry in the shed, just wondering if it can be done better in a confined space in the shed. i dont really want to heat/dry the whole shed, its rather well ‘ventilated’, but if thats the best option so be it.

putting on winter boots that have aclimatised to 2deg isnt a great start to a ride 🙁 if i could get them cleanish/dryish i could bring them in the house for an hour to warm up.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Get a shoe drier for the footwear. You can also put it on for 5 mins to heat your boots up before wearing them.

irc

ok, so need to trial the dehumidifier in the shed, in the cold – see if it actually works

There are two types of dehumidifiers. Dessicant types work in low temps down to near freezing.

soobalias
    Free Member

Shoe Dryer – never heard of it, looks a good plan for a christmas present or to hunt down 2nd hand to be bodged – do they provide enough heat to dry things hung above?

from further up the page – might look to get hold of an old shower enclosure to section off the drying area?

soobalias
    Free Member

cheers irc – whats the other type and how do i tell?

irc

Dessicant or refrigerant. Fridgetype morecommon. The dessicants should say in descroption.

IE

EcoAir Desiccant Dehumidifier DD122FW on Amazon.

soobalias
    Free Member

ta – now i wonder if its still in the box (unused, back corner of the roof space – note i didnt say loft)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shed Interior – drying’ is closed to new replies.