• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shed/garage alarms?
  • FOG

Got a quote for an alarm for my garage where the bikes live which was way more than I want to pay. Has anybody used the cheap shed type alarms which work off internal batteries? I have seen some for as little as £20 but are they any good? I appreciate they won’t be as good as a professionally installed system but I am prepared to replace them regularly

ta11pau1

You can get decent internet enabled wifi cameras which will send a notification when it detects movement, you’re looking at a couple of hundred though, even for the base models.

colp

Is there any way you can run an alarm cable from the garage to your main house alarm? Much better solution

drnosh
    Free Member

I made an alarm system for my garage/workshop.

Used magnetic contacts on up & over front door and side door, with foil strip on the 2 small d. glazed windows.

Connected together with a loop connector, meaning that all the time the ‘loop’ is connected the alarm is healthy, as soon as the loop is broken, by a magnetic switch releasing on door opening, or a foil tearing if the glass get broken then the alarm is tripped on.

2 110db sounders inside, 1 motorbike horn outside with a strobe light.

Put a delay timer in for exit after setting, and another in for a delay of 15 secs to enter and switch off.

Controlled by a key switch, with a 12v battery on float charge, all mounted in the loft, out of reach of scrote.

Cost <£50

Poopscoop

Another option is to adapt a car alarm.

Pretty easy to do and very cost effective.

burko73

My house alarm sensors ( wireless) work as far away as our garage. That means it’s tied in with the house alarm. Take wireless.

kayak23

I made an alarm system for my garage/workshop.

That sounds awesome drnosh. Clever. 😊

craig24
    Free Member

This has been recommended on here before –

http://personalalarms.com/acatalog/Multi_Buy_MA30_Mini_PIR_Alarm_and_External_Siren.html

External siren also included so you can locate it somewhere in your garden, even if they managed to smash the one in the shed to stop it, the external one will keep on going off.

wwaswas

I have one of these:

https://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/wireless-indoor-alarms/shed-garage-alarms/battery-gsm-wireless-ultrapir-alarm/3g-battery-ultrapir-gsm-alarm-007-1150-p1167.html

has a SIM card in it and texts/phones when it goes off. Saves relying on wi-fi down to the workshop.

servo
    Free Member

Get a wireless driveway alarm. It’s like a wireless doorbell with a battery powered PIR detector instead of a push button. There is a wireless receiver in the house that beeps when anyone goes into the garage. We turn it off during the day and on at night. If it goes off by mistake then it doesn’t annoy the neighbours.

Got mine from Amazon, think it was made by 1Byone. Only about £15.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got one of the ones craig24 mentioned. It’s gone off in anger once, thieves tore a bit off the door and scarpered when the alarm went off. Shed is beefed up so they would have needed another 5 mins attacking the door with the alarm going off before they coulda disarmed the alarm.

Ewan
    Free Member

You can get decent internet enabled wifi cameras which will send a notification when it detects movement, you’re looking at a couple of hundred though, even for the base models.

I got a yi dome 1080p camera that does all of this plus pan and tilt for 30 quid two days ago off Amazon.

Also can react to soynd, can act as an intercom and will motion track things.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does your wireless network extend out to the garage or wherever you keep your bikes Ewan?.

nofx
    Free Member

We put a flood light in the shed that pointed directly at the door. We had an alarm that went off in the house as well . When the chavs broke into the shed they were blinded by the floodlight. They didn’t get my bike 😊

Moe

I’ve had a couple of things from this company and so far (a couple of months use) they’ve both performed well.

Swann

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been using the ones suggested by Craig24 for years. Has prevented bikes being stolen, they ran off when the alarm went off.

One of my units failed out of warranty and they replaced free of charge.

fossy

I know someone who used an ‘alarm mine’ in his shed. Thief tugged at locks, but pulled the pin off the alarm mine, and left quite a bit of DNA on the chain rings. No bikes lost.

For those that don’t know, it’s a blank shotgun cartridge. That going off, in close proximity, will crap someone out.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shed/garage alarms?’ is closed to new replies.