• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Olly.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shed Floor (or lack of)
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I need a basic shed to deal with our “overspill” from fort knox (the Asgard shed) where all the fancy bikes are kept. We are intending to move house in the next 12 months so I don’t particularly want to invest in another Asgard when we will hopefully be moving to somewhere with a garage so it will be unnecessary before long.

What are the downsides of going for a very basic wooden shed with no floor that will sit straight on slabs? I understand downsides of moisture in the wood from placing it on grass or soil, but this should be less of an issue on slabs I guess? I can’t see any particular problem for the bikes other than it being less secure than the Asgard, but cheaper bikes with a ground anchor and good home insurance. Unless I’m missing something?

northernmatt

If it anything like the one we have just removed from my parents house the floor will be rotten. That was there a while though. If it’s just for temporary have a look on facebook minefield marketplace and you might bag one for nowt.

5lab

i had a metal shed directly on slabs. Was fine for the 12 years we owned the house

spooky_b329

Would no floor actually save much money? I didn’t realise you could get them without floors, doesn’t it hold everything square and upright?

nickjb
    Free Member

I was thinking the same as spooky. Cheap sheds tend to have floors. To get one without a floor I think you’d have to custom build and do something with the base to tie the walls into.

fossy

I’m about to build a ‘store’ next to our current summer house to store my sons car shoot in (spare wheels, engine parts etc). It will be onto existing decking, which is ‘replaceable’ from the existing decking, if you get what I mean. You should be OK but expect some water ingress along the paving. The current summer house is placed on the decking joists, with the decking surrounding it, so the floor etc is suspended, and water drips to the soil 6″ below.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Would no floor actually save much money? I didn’t realise you could get them without floors, doesn’t it hold everything square and upright?

A quick search around shows yes, and they would save a fair few quid versus the floored versions.

Olly
    Free Member

Slabs or slab.

Slabs might be a bit crap, if you can get damp and dirt coming up through the cracks?

Either way, i would be getting 4 lengths of treated timber (probably 100mm square incised fencepost, as that stuff is rated for 25yrs in the ground) and making a sturdy frame to sit the shed on. Keeps the shed itself it out the damp, and adds strength and rigidity (and 100mm in height)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.