Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Shed door security
  • samuri
    Free Member

OK, now my man shed is pretty good inside, I need to secure the door.

I’ve already got an alarm fitted which is great and the bikes will all be chained up inside apart from one running loose.

There are two windows which are too small to get a bike out of and a wooden door. the door is secured by some big hinges and a mortice lock. I’m sure a big bloke with a crowbar could get through that in a few minutes though.

You can see the door here.

wood-store-location by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Now I like the look of the door so don’t want to replace it. I was thinking that maybe, there are bar locking systems that can be fitted to existing doors. I’ve had a look around but can’t find anything. I’m thinking something that bolts to the door and then activates two or three locking bars. Has anyone got experience of anything like this?

Or am I on a hiding to nothing and should I just fit a solid hard wood door and frame with hinge studs and a good mortice lock?

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s what I call a shed.

Is your roof the real weak spot though? Have read on here abotu a few people having garages accessed that way.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What ever you do – do it inside.

Sticking it on the outside just says – expensive shit in here….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is the roof asbestos/fibreboard or is it pressed steel ?

Former id be worried – latter not so .

wwaswas

These guys do some great secondary barriers;

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sheffarc-Security

fit behind the existing door so cosmetically nothing changes but you have greater security.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s pressed steel. Bolted down to struts on the inside. They’d have to bend or cut the steel back. Plus they’d be in full view of loads of houses while they did it.

Next door is a copper. Not sure how much security that provides 😉

I like the security items you’ve linked to there but as trail rat says, they do highlight where the good stuff is, I’ll keep them in mind if nothing better pops up. One of those bars would be great if it were on the side and could be unlocked from the outside.

wwaswas

you can fit one of the doors inside of the existing wooden door so that it opens to the inside of the shed. Nothign visible outside but if they pry the wooden door open they have to get through the metal one too?

or 3 of these at different heights behind the door? they drop in and are then padlocked in place.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Security-Bar-Padlocked-Home-Office-Garage-Shed-Beach-Hut-Stables-/160785916802?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&var=&hash=item6b1e1a9f0a

kcal

Worth fitting another door inside? One that opens inwards?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Weeds!!! 🙂

How about a secondary metal mesh door. Easy to fabricate out of angle iron and heavy mesh if you can get any access to a welder. Then you can heavily lock the mesh door behind the wooden one.

Edit: Beaten to it by Kcal

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s pressed steel. Bolted down to struts on the inside.

Fair dos.

Thought it might be asbestos from the shape.

🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m starting to like the idea of a secondary (cage) door. That could be the way forwards.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m doing something similar and I’m struggling as I like the interior metal gate idea, but you would need room inside to swing the gate open and the area is small; the security bars would be the second option but you would need 2/3 padlocks and keys for each bar and they would be cumbersome for something that I would need to access twice a day. I wonder if you can get hinged security bars?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is it possible to get a cage to put your bike(s) in?

I’m thinking a 6 sided cage bolted to shed walls and floor with a ground anchor coming up from the floor or wall. The bikes are inside the cage chained to the anchor and the cage has two padlocks to lock it shut. The cage could be hinged at the back of its top so its easy to get the bikes in and out when unlocked. There could either be a bar to hold it open or some car boot lifters. Obviously the cage would have to be flat pack so you can get it in the shed but it should be very hard to take apart without it unlocked.

This would be a great solution for me and I’m sure for plenty others. I might draw up some plans and get the fabrication shop at work to price it up for me.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Sliding metal door? Then it would not need to open inwards. Or if you want to throw some money at it, get a small roller shutter inside.

samuri
    Free Member

I did consider a cage inside for the bikes but ended up thinking that as long as I secure a heavy duty chain to something inside, that’ll cover that base. The point is there that once they’re inside, they can make a lot more noise without being disturbed.

If people hear someone hammering away like crazy they’ll just think it’s me working on one of my bikes. 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thats a fair point.

I just spoke to Fab and they have some spare angle and box that I could use for free. I just have to get some measurements to see if there is enough for what I need. All I would have to buy is some heavy duty hinges, bolts and padlocks.

footflaps

I fitted a steel roller shutter door behind the workshop doors:

Ply box and step around front door by brf, on Flickr

samuri
    Free Member

How much did that cost?

TiRed

Whilst a bike may not fit through that window, bits of bike will and it’s a point of entry. A carbon frame is cut in half very easily with a hacksaw. Just being paranoid.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Are the windows covered? thiefs like to be able to see in first to make sure there is something worth nicking!

samuri
    Free Member

No. There’s no 4 grand bikes in there but there is quite a lot of bikes and I guess some don’t look ragged senseless (yet).

I’d feel very sorry for someone who looked in and then decided it was worth breaking in but I guess you never can underestimate people. The copper next door has a really expensive TT bike, they should go for that instead.

edit: And now you’ve made me think about getting some curtains. Thanks for that.

mikertroid
    Free Member

How about one of those steel bike lockers that’s meant for external use but put inside?

You can bolt them to the floor. Been thinking of that for myself. Then they’re secure as they can be and you’ve made no expensive modifications.

devash
    Free Member

Almax chain and a decent ground anchor should provide some extra security.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hide
    Secure bikes
    Secure buildings beyond locking it
    Alarm

In that order imo

Alarm needs to be very loud , your the only person on your street that will investigate your alarm going off

The purpose of an alarm imo is to make your shed somewhere that people really dont want to be.

Make sure your alarm /power to it isnt easily accessable.

footflaps

How much did that cost

About £700 IIRC. Would be less for a smaller opening.

footflaps

If you want a loud alarm, get a Master Blaster and fit it inside- it is so loud, it drives the intruder out…

http://www.alarmworld.co.uk/intruder/bellboxes-sounders/master-blaster/prod_72.html

Dickyboy

good advice from footflaps there – hadn’t thought of it from that angle myself.

ndthornton
    Free Member

My advice would be…..
    Don’t post pictures of your shed on a website for owners of expensive bikes……and follow it with a discussion about the sheds weaknesses.

cr500dom
    Free Member

^ This

HD Sliding door inside existing, frosted security film on glass, all tools locked away (Don’t make it easy for them)

IR PIR Camera to record anything.

If you leave power on then a baby monitor hidden in the shed somewhere will alert you if anyone is trying to get in.

Of course I could never condone poachers alarm mines, but they are very effective in an enclosed space 😀
    Just remember to deactivate as you go in each time

plus-one

I don’t buy the low security “look” approach.. I want to make it look a huge effort to gain entry.. Keeping them out is my main concern..

Baby monitor is great if you have power ..

And ground anchor/protector/almax chain if breached..

I also reinforced any potential weak spots ..

hora
    Free Member

Nice shed- I’m jealous OP 😀

gazc
    Free Member

compared to my shed thats fort knox!!! can’t wait till we move and i can build my new shed to my own spec

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sound theory plus 1 but the logic is that exposed mean looking security means expensive stuff inside – exposed security lets them know exactly what tools they need to get in.

They come to samuris shed. Bust open his door with their crowbar- confrontedd with a steel door – the crow bar aint gojng to cut it.

Security bars on inside of windows btw and put blinds between bars and glass so bars cant be seen 😉

samuri
    Free Member

My advice would be…..
    Don’t post pictures of your shed on a website for owners of expensive bikes……and follow it with a discussion about the sheds weaknesses.

I don’t really buy that. I posted pictures of my bikes, the (weak) bike shed, and even links to routes starting at my house for 18 years from the old place. Never once had a bike stolen, not even an attempt.

As I said, anyone who steals my bikes is going to be very disappointed anyway. None of them cost more than a grand when new, they’ve all been ragged senseless and I don’t look after them very well.

I reckon most thieves look for either very specific, expensive bikes on forums like this or local thieves see you riding about and follow you home. Neither of these things is likely to happen to me. [1]

[1] Until everything gets stolen tonight.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Just bought a new shed… need a good hasp or two, any recommendations?

plus-one

These are good(easy to fit) with correct coach bolts..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/73mm-Shackleless-Padlock-and-Hasp/sim/B003JZ8N6G/2

Don’t bother with conventional hasp/staple they are butter to bolt croppers ..

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these for my impending new shed, amongst other things…

OP – get some gravel down on the path too, they don’t like gravel.

EDIT – spooky 😯

thegreatape
    Free Member

And you can hammer ball bearings into the hinge screws to make them unundoable

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Shed door security’ is closed to new replies.