Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shed build. Apex or pent roof?
  • lotto
    Free Member

Shed will be built from steel. (4x7m)
    Choice of apex or pent roof. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Any experiences of a similar choice and wish you had gone the other way or currently have one but wish you had the other? All advice gratefully received.

nickjb
    Free Member

Mines about the same size and I went for pent. Easier to build the shed, easier to fit the roof. Also only one gutter which is on my side, the high side is up to the boundary. I suppose you could build either as high as you want but an apex will probably give you a bit more ‘loft’ storage. Happy with my choice so far.

mattyfez

If your building from scratch, pent seems the obvious way to do it.

Easier to build, lighter, fewer materials.

Depends on individual requirements though.

mattyfez

To add, if it’s a pre fab flat pack metal shed, then get apex.

lotto
    Free Member

The only advantage I can see in apex is additional storage? A pent would give me a better run off for the water as on the apex one side would be shedding towards the house with no drains to tie into. Pent straight into a field. It is not flat pack. Will be made to order agriculture/industrial spec.

Saccades
    Free Member

Apex gives better height for things like roof boxes and the flight of darts, plus feels a lot bigger.

Mind at 4*7 that’s probably a moot point.

yiman
    Free Member

Doesn’t it depend how high you build the pent roof? If I’m right, you can build a shed up to ~2.5m tall without special permission so surely building a pent with the highest point at 2.5m gives more space than an apex roof with the high point at 2.5m?

mariner
    Free Member

I bought a pent.
    Wish I bought apex.

Steel? What are you keeping in there?
    Will it need aircon for the summer?

lotto
    Free Member

@ mariner, why do you wish you went for apex now? It will be used for a garage and storage of normal paraphernalia. The steel will be plasticoated and have other anti condensation barriers. Talked to two people first hand who have bought from the company and so I’ve looked at the build quality close up. Both assure me no issues with condensation at anytime of year.

timba
    Free Member

Pent roof eaves height might be greater, less likely to walk into an external corner in the dark? More wall storage?
    Apex roof might have better access/greater headroom inside

sharkbait
    Free Member

Defo go with the fleece lined steel. I’ve got a 25m X 18m barn that we re-roofed with it and it’s much better for condensation than the little stable I re-roofed in the non-lined steel.
    Make sure you have ventilation though as the fleece just captures the condensation and holds it while the ventilation gets rid of it. It can get overloaded without enough air flow.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shed build. Apex or pent roof?’ is closed to new replies.