Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Shawshank or the green mile?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

been having the discussion of which is the better film.

a difficult one.

For me, Shawshank is riveting, engaging characters, feels like a journey with a happy uplifting ending. friendship isnt it great etc.

The Green Mile, much more emotional, difficult to watch in places, cannot bring myself to watch it unless in a very good mood, deeply melancholic ending. But massively affecting possibly more so than shawshank.

discuss?

johnners
    Free Member

I like happy endings.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Both massively overrated IMO! But Shawshank would have it.

dr_death
    Free Member

Shawshank by a country mile (partly coz it is just a better film and largely because it doesn't have Tom **** Hanks in it).

timdrayton
    Free Member

cynic-al I feel like you just trod on mr jingles

Nick

Isn't Green Mile a fairy tale about a magic mouse? Nuff said.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry Tim but if you come out with more like this I will be jumping on him!

chvck
    Free Member

That's a bit of a tough one but, yeah, shawshank I reckons

colnagokid

Shawshank for me, Green Mile too sad 😥

AndyP
    Free Member

Shawshank. Infinitely better.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

shawshank prolly

The botched electrocution in green mile is horrible and I don't remember the film being particularly hopeful.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

shawshank by a league. Green Mile was overly sentimental and deliberately heart-tugging, may as well have had cute furry kittens being starved to death as a sub plot.

nickc

Neither are great films. If I had to watch one? Shawshank I guess

njee20
    Free Member

Shawshank is a superb film.

Green Mile's heavily over rated.

swamp_boy

Shawshank.

Green Mile lays on the sentiment with a shovel and has Tom Hanks playing Tom Hanks.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

brubaker or cool hand luke would be better

Junkyard
    Free Member

shawshank has one of the worst endings of any film I have ever seen and is the most over rated film in recent memory truly dreadfull smaltzy ending terrible (the film is mnot that bad but that ending is worse than the tacked on ending to Bladerunner)
    Green Mile is just rubbish
    If I had to watch either I am picking the shorter one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are people really putting those two in the same league? Shawshank without a shadow of a doubt.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Schindlers list! 😕

Inbred456
    Free Member

Both overrated, "The Usual Suspects" for me, will never forget the gasps of astonishment by the audience in the cinema at the end of the film!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Shawshank, plot, cast, acting and message.
    Tim Robbins is so very underrated.

samuri
    Free Member

shankshaw for me. Read the book if you want to understand the story a bit better and get a bit more from the ending. Stephen King wrote it you know.

Alek
    Free Member

Shawshank……….but 'the usual suspects' before either.

Del Toro in the line-up 😉

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

say in a morgan freeman accent "i'd like to tell you that Andy put up a good fight and the sisters let him be, i'd like to tell you that, but prison is no fairy tail"

Shawshank by more than a country mile, Green Mile had to rely on a supernatural story, Shawshank relies on a human story

eldridge
    Free Member

Shawshank is bolx:

So this guy has a huge poster, which covers the slightly less huge hole he has carved out, with a teaspoon, to the outside world via various pipes and sewers.

Connecting an airless prison cell to the windy atmosphere outside would surely make the poster flap a bit? Create a bit of a draft in a cell which should be draft-free? Suck the poster backwards and forwards a bit in a manner suggestive that the wall behind it was less than solid, to any guards who might have been inspecting the cell?

And as for sympathetic portrayals of lifers!

Howzabout Shawshank 2, starring Kenneth Noye? Or Harold Shipman? Or Fred and Rosemary West? Or Myra Hyndley and Ian Brady?

cynic-al
    Free Member

hundreds of films before either IMO.

samuri
    Free Member

So this guy has a huge poster, which covers the slightly less huge hole he has carved out, with a teaspoon, to the outside world via various pipes and sewers.

As I said, read the book but it's plain to see in the film. Not a teaspoon, a rock hammer. And it takes him years. And only the crazies get their cells searched, Andy played a quiet game and looked after the books and the prison guard accounts so they left him alone.
    Once he's dropped down onto the sewer pipe, he has to break into it. Then he has to go a long way in the pipe, no wind coming back.

curiousorange
    Free Member

Three word film synopsis;

Shawshank: The brown mile.
    Green Mile: Saw Hanks's redemption.

In response to the question, Shawshank. But I have never been a fan of either King's literature nor films adapted from it.

timdrayton
    Free Member

really????
    Stand by me
    The shining
    Misery
    It

Hes done some gooduns there surely?

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Never heard of Shawshank but seen the Green Mile

Nick

He's not a very good writer, better than Dan Brown but not much. Good ideas and imagination which is why they translate to film quite well but mostly his books are overlong, overblown and indulgent. Try some Haruki Murikami or Kurt Vonnegut for some class.

Spamf
    Free Member

I've stuck my head in the Shawshank tunnel up at the Mansfield Reformitory up in Ohio, where it was filmed. Its just made of papier mache and sits in a corridor, so not that impressive. Now, the massive mural of Lenin in the same place for some Harrison Ford vs. russians film was impressive.

Lucky to get in. Friends we were visiting (in town, not in prison [its been closed for years]) knew people in a youth group doing a service project there. Quite a cool afternoon.

samuri
    Free Member

Try some Haruki Murikami or Kurt Vonnegut

Always looking for more books to read, any particular recommendations? Thanks.

Edit: I wouldn't class Dan Brown as a good writer at all, I have no idea why his books (or the film I've seen adapted from one), are rated and so popular. Complete pants IMO.

curiousorange
    Free Member

really????
    Stand by me
    The shining
    Misery
    It

Ok, Stand By Me I do like, I didn't know that was one of Kings. I stand corrected. The others mentioned, I can take or leave.

AndyP
    Free Member

Edit: I wouldn't class Dan Brown as a good writer at all, I have no idea why his books (or the film I've seen adapted from one), are rated and so popular.
    Same reason as why the Sun/Mirror/Mail and things like Heat and Hello are. A lot of people either don't want to, or can't, use their brains.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well Shawshank is rated no.1 in IMDB and The Green Mile no.111 – so both considered good films by the common person…. Those on here that saw Shawshank is rubbish have suspect ideas about what films should be IMO…!

Nick

I'm not sure Vonnegut has written anything bad, Slaughterhouse 5 is probably his best known but I liked Cat's Cradle a lot.

Murakami, I really liked Sputnik Sweetheart, Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance (sequel to Wild Sheep Chase), currently reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which is a slow burn but getting better

samuri
    Free Member

Actually the story Shankshaw comes from one of King's best books (although I really like the dark half and IT).

Different Seasons has four mid length stories in it.

Apt Pupil which is the best one in my opinion but never made it to film.
    The Body which went on to be made into Stand by me.
    The Breathing Method which is rubbish
    Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption which obviously became Shankshaw.

Get it, it's a very good book.

chewkw
    Free Member

Shawshank.

Nick

Might give it a go, haven't read a King book since The Stand, that went on a bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Shawshank or the green mile?’ is closed to new replies.