Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Sharing a name with someone (in)famous….
  • Premier Icon doomanic

Keith Richards is our Facilities Manager; he doesn’t like to Paint it Black.

Premier Icon ElVino

Share my name with one of Britain’s biggest drug dealers, not someone who is generally known to the public but has come up in a job interview after someone in HR googled my name

Premier Icon johnnymarone
    Free Member

I used to work with a Mike Christmas, who apparently had a wife called Mary.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

I share my name (not spelt the same) with famous but not that famous snooker player and friend of racist comedians, John Virgo

Cue the gags.

Premier Icon RoterStern
    Free Member

One of my clients is called Steffi Graf.

Premier Icon Cougar

Cue the gags.

Well played.

Premier Icon simian
    Free Member

I’m Stephen Lawrence.

Premier Icon FB-ATB

Just remembered my Dad shared his name with a Sunderland football player from the 50s & 60s.

Premier Icon maddyutah

AT one time I had Tom Jones,Andy Williams and David Bowie on same shift.
    Im John Madden unfortunately no relation to the NFL guy.

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

There’s only 200ish people in the whole country with my surname, so not really. There’s a boxer in Dundee with my name and a book illustrator in Canada but I come up before both on google😁
    My father shares his name with the guy who used to run Toyota’s F1 team

Premier Icon deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m Mr Darcy. 😃

Premier Icon ChrisL

I went to school with a James Cameron and when I was on holiday once a friend hurt themselves and was treated by Dr Donald Duck.

Premier Icon Sandwich

My father was Steve Austin.

Stone Cold?

Premier Icon FB-ATB

Looks like my name-sake fits the infamous bit- a convicted murderer from South Wales.
    Given he’s from a couple of valleys along from where my Dad grew up and we don’t have a Welsh surname I wonder if we’re related?

Premier Icon Scapegoat

David Bowie’s wife was originally given my mother’s name, but then used her middle name and now shares that name with my wife.

Premier Icon northernmatt

Used to have a bloke come into work called Mark Lawrenson. He was an arsehole.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Used to have a bloke come into work called Mark Lawrenson. He was an arsehole.

You are Gary Lineker and I claim my £5

Premier Icon reeksy

I have a mate called Jamie Saville 🙁

Went to uni with a guy called Keith Jones … the weird bit being the VC of the uni that signed his degree certificates was also called Keith Jones. It looked like he was writing his own certificates.

My name is Edson Arantes do Nascemento, and people are constantly mistaking me for Pele. And then I point out that Pele’s name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento and we all laugh.

Premier Icon reeksy

I used to know a girl whose brother was called Mike Tyson. He was almost arrested once after being pulled over for speeding because the police thought he was just taking the piss out of them when they asked his name.

I had a school mate whose surname was Semens. He got pulled by the police as a teenager and had to give his address… which, no word of a lie, was 1 Tinkle Street. It didn’t go down well.
    (He later did a stretch for glassing someone though 🙁 )

Premier Icon donks
    Free Member

We have an engineer at work called Ian Brown.
    I had a teams meeting a few months ago with an architect called John Holt.

Thing is that neither of these gents have a clue who their namesakes are!!

My mate is Mark Owen. Got loads of calls from young women when he was at uni in Manchester in the 90’s

Premier Icon Mikkel
    Free Member

I share with the worlds best handball player.
    This always makes my handball coaching colleague want me to join his team just so he can add me to the player list.

Premier Icon TiRed

Stone Cold?

No, the bionic one. Hence the irony. I’m a child of the 70’s. “I bet your dad was the bionic man!” tends to wear a bit thin after a while. Given what happened to my dad, VERY thin.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Got/had loads of them at work.

Will(iam) Young
    Jim Davidson
    James Brown (2 of)
    Colin Wier (2 of, none related)
    Barry Scott (does he still shout adverts?)

Plus more I’ve forgotten through time. Only claim to fame anyone had was being the keyboardist in H2O (nope, me neither but it cracked me up to think of the old Billy Connelly sketch where he talked about wanting to have a hit record with his face on the cover just so he could “accidentally” leave it places and wondered if there was a bit of that going on).

Premier Icon Cougar

There’s only 200ish people in the whole country with my surname, so not really.

I’d be astonished if occurrences of my surname broke double figures across the whole country. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the same didn’t hold true globally. Outside of direct relations, I’m down to the fingers of one hand.

Premier Icon felltop

My mother is Joan Collins……

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I’ve worked with two Peter Jackson’s, had a supplier called James Brown (I used to sneak James Brown’s lyrics in to mails I sent him) and used to have a customer called Bruce Wayne.

The closest I get is sharing a forename with a screwdriver and surname with a town. Even then they’re variations on those names.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve the same name as a famous Aussie test cricketer, about my age too.

When I worked in India about 15 years ago I arrived in Hyderabad on a flight from Dehli very late one night to find a welcoming ‘committee’.

Turns out, in Delhi I’d been out the evening before with a rep of our supplier (who I was auditing) and we’d had a conversation about cricket as it was on in the bar. I use to play and did say I was a bowler (RH fast). Next day when he spoke with their Hyderabad office it seems that he mentioned my name (the other guy was a big cricket fan) and apparently also said that I use to play cricket.

When I’d picked up my luggage and walked out into the Terminal looking for my driver, there were about two dozen employee’s waiting…

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

One of my lecturers on my 1st degree was called Peter Sutcliffe.
    Weirdly I don’t remember anyone ever discussing it at all (perhaps because he was a really nice guy) but still seems weird noone ever made a bad joke etc.

He only had one remaining lung and smoked cigarillo’s but still managed on field trips.

Premier Icon orena45

I was in a Teams training session at work a couple of days ago, and noticed a Michael Jordan was also getting introduced to the finer points of NEC and contracts 🏀

Premier Icon DickBarton

Just remembered my Dad shared his name with a Sunderland football player from the 50s & 60s.

– How did that work then? Was he not allowed to use it on game days?

Premier Icon jimmy

I’m Hatfield. The Metallica singer is Hetfield. Germans tend to pronounce my name Hetfield and also like their rock, so if it wasn’t James Bond, it was Metallica when I spent time in that there Germany.

Premier Icon Beagleboy

When I worked at the University of Stirling, I used to walk past Rowdy Yates office. I think he might even still work there.

Premier Icon kayak23

The closest I get is sharing a forename with a screwdriver

Slotted?
    Unusual name.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

How did that work then? Was he not allowed to use it on game days?

Taking the ‘one shoe ‘tween ten ‘o us’ joke to the limit there.

Premier Icon JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

At school I had a friend Glenn Miller, a work colleague is Mark Morrison and I have a customer called Elvis.
    I’m still waiting for for the golden opportunity at work to arrange a meeting with both Elvis and Mark Morrison in attendance.

Premier Icon breadcrumb

I worked with a Dave Pearce for a while, he even dabbled on the ones and twos.

I share my name with an American country singer that I’ve never heard off.

Edit: just checked Spotify, his number one song has less than a 1000 plays..

Premier Icon Scapegoat

I once booked Elvis Aaron Presley, who lived at Gracelands, ****** Lane, Halifax, into custody.

I was scowled at when I told the gaoler to keep an eye on him if he ordered burgers for dinner………..

Premier Icon shinton
    Free Member

Just noticed a Giles Farmer on LinkedIn

Premier Icon molgrips

The closest I get is sharing a forename with a screwdriver

Stanley?

Barry Scott

Not sure I’d be able to resist that.

HI!

Premier Icon lovewookie

My Wife is called Mo Johnson, slightly different spelling to the famous one.

We live in Glasgow. Apparently it always gets someone commenting.

I haven’t got a clue, being English, and not a football follower.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.