Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Sharing a bed
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

Can we please talk about this as I’m curious to hear from others.

Ive been with my partner for coming up to 2 years, we both have separate houses but I stay at hers several times a week. My limit is 3 nights in a row because she’s a nightmare to share a bed with.

Do any of you couples have separate rooms? There seems to be some stigma about sleep divorce but why? Our relationship is great except for being punched, rolled onto, covers stolen or being pushed off the bed during her sleep. There will become a time where we combine households but not yet for several reasons.

Sorry for this being a bit mumsnet but there is yet to be a topic on here where a wide spectrum of opinions aren’t voiced.

tjagain

My solution was a 7 ft wide bed with 2 double duvets and 7 pillows. that way we both got some sleep and a bit of bedding

Drac

Either buy a king size bed or go full 70s sit com and get twins. The more time you spend in the same bed though you’ll adjust to each other being there.

jam-bo

Massive bed that I get about 20% of….

ads678

Nothing less than a king size!

mashr

Was in Iceland recently – all the doubles used 2 single duvets. It’s an inspired setup. Might not fix all your issues but I’d bet it would help

weeksy

We have a super king size bed.

When we do hotels etc we often have a twin room instead.

joshvegas
    Free Member

This all sounds very familiar.

I am son tuned to sleeping on my fifth of the bed I don’t spread out even when she works a night.

It really doesn’t bother me the only time it’s woken me up is when she was pushing me off the bed and I woke up deathgripping the mattress to fight it in my sleep.

For what it’s worth though I don’t see any issue with separate beds for sleep. But you would probably have to be careful that the other benefits of sharing a bed are kept in your schedule and also that it doesn’t become hit it and quit it every night.

But it’s probably not helping returning to your own bed to reset the familiar every few days.

PiknMix
    Free Member

We both have king sized beds, maybe that’s the issue? We are maybe so used to having a king size bed to roll around in.

Id like to think I’m a pretty good bed companion, I fall asleep on one side and wake up in the same position (even when I’m at home on my own).

Separate duvets might not be a bad idea, won’t stop getting punched in the face though.

But it’s probably not helping returning to your own bed to reset the familiar every few days.

That’s a valid comment, it’s not just to reset the sleep, her household is fairly chaotic with 2 children and a dog so we are finding the balance for everyone at the moment.

dudeofdoom

King size bed and separate duvets,that lets the dogs fit in as well 🙂

As said thou the more time you spend in the same bed you get used to it.

I think the whole living together thing is actually a lot harder than people give credit to as the initial honeymoon period involving going out with someone which is all about sex and and going out doing the nice things as opposed to the housekeeping,shopping,washing pants and wallpapering.

Although I still don’t like being patted in the night.

Rio

King size bed or larger and separate duvets. Also helps in the summer when she wants enough insulation for an antarctic expedition and I just want a sheet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Get a large dog and have it sleep on the bed between you. No one can steal duvet then.

pondo

I fall asleep on one side and wake up in the same position (even when I’m at home on my own).

That’s me, that is – I’ll quite happily be on my side, on the edge, facing away, and wake up in the same position. Mrs Pondo doesn’t disturb me, but my snoring wakes her up – she has my full permission to get me to move to the spare room, takes me 30 seconds to switch to a nice cool bed then I’m asleep again. Oddly, I generally face the other way in that bed.

I’d be happy just to sleep separately but Mrs Pondo likes us to go to bed together. *shrugs*

PiknMix
    Free Member

Get a large dog and have it sleep on the bed between you. No one can steal duvet then.

We have a medium sized dog and he’s nearly as bad as she is for sharing a bed with.

binners

We’ve had to admit defeat. The combination of Mrs Binners being a really light sleeper and me sleeping the sleep of the dead, while snoring like a fully laden cargo aircraft winding up its engines for take off, mean it’s 70’s sitcom territory for us

It’s either that or me being smothered with a pillow in my sleep. Apparently it’s been pretty close to happening

timbog160

Still sharing here, but do have to resort to earplugs on occasions! OH had COVID recently and I decamped to the spare room – slept like a baby for first time in years! Now back to normal. Id say no stigma at all, if it works for your relationship that’s more important than anything else.

steamtb

We had a sleep divorce a few years ago, no downsides for us. We just do all the same stuff pre sleep and on waking, then both get a much better nights sleep. By my wife’s own admission, she turns from lovely into a sociopathic nightmare when she hasn’t slept well, so it keeps me safe 🙂

dc1988

I was in a similar position but it got better over time once we had moved in together, it’s not an issue now

paino

Spare room sleeper here, for all the reasons mentioned above. Persisted for 15 years then bought a house with a spare room. I’ve just found some amazing silicon ear plugs that mould to your ear, not inside it like most plugs. An absolute blessing when I’m in ‘her’ bed. FWIW our relationship is better when sleeping separately, mainly cos there’s no sleep deprivation.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Same situation here, 7 years together with separate homes, she has memory foam mattress which is unbearably hot for me most of the year so I end up on the sofa bed (quite comfy) most of the time. She moans about my pocket sprung mattress.
    I can’t stay in her bed as she usually mithers me and starts twitching/dreaming, I have been wide awake while she’s tapping me on the top of my head or waking me every 5 mins.
    It’s better when we stay away and have a king size bed.
    We are getting a 2 bed place together so will get a bigger bed but can see the spare room being used when either of us has an early start or middle of summer when I don’t fancy sleeping next to a thermal store.

orena45

Been with my wife for 14 years. She’s a light sleeper, I’m the opposite and bit of a snorer. After moving in together, I would drop off to sleep straight away whilst she takes a while so would get cranky at me snoring and kick or push me. Me, having a lovely sleep, would then get annoyed at being woken by light ‘physical abuse’ (😜) and get cranky at her.

We sleep in our own rooms now and works fine. Definitely a stigma about, I’ve never mentioned us sleeping separately to friends etc but there’s no reason why there should be really. Do what works best for both of you innit.

Apparently, sleeping in the same bed is a relatively modern thing which society has forgotten about. That’s what she told me anyway!

grahamt1980

King size bed and separate duvets for us. Works a treat

thegeneralist
    Free Member

As with most things these days, the Germans get it right. Proper king size beds ie 220×220 or something and single duvets.

Not the stupid witless British single duvets though, proper German ones that are about 210cm long and cover you properly even if you’re not a midget. I’ve got 5 of them from 280g right through to Bavarian winter to keep me just right.

As for hotels/holidays, I’m with Weeksy. Twin, SuperK or I sleep on the floor. TBH I don’t understand how hotels/B&Bs have the affrontery to advertise that a place sleeps 2 if it only has a double or KS bed.

It clearly doesn’t sleep 2 does it?

matt_outandabout

Double bed, king duvet here Both of us struggle to sleep without the other one there. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

cakeandcheese

I sleep like I’m in a coffin – on my back, hands clasped on my chest. Being fairly skinny I take up 50cm of bed width at best.

She is a bit of a wriggler until asleep, but appears to be half cat as she’s usually asleep within minutes of getting in.

Overall we’ve done ok with a standard double, and now a queen size is more than enough. Kings feel ludicrously big.

I think we’re really lucky and wouldn’t consider anyone wanting separate rooms as unusual. Sleep is important and being how you are when you’re both awake shouldn’t be compromised by how you each sleep.

scotroutes

My missus usually goes to bed early, whereas I’m a night owl. One of the best bits of my day is spooning in behind her. We normally change positions a couple of times during the night but neither of us are normally restless sleepers. The worst is when it’s just too warm.

We could (and have) sleep in a single bed quite happily most nights.

chaos

Both of us struggle to sleep without the other one there

This, well at least for me, I think she quite likes it.  If she’s not there I’m restless and can’t get to sleep.  Even worse when I work away and stay in hotels.

Dickyboy

I knew someone who’s husband slept in a hammock above their double bed, seemed very strange, my wife would definitely divorce me if I suggested separate beds, she even got upset when I mooted the idea of getting a king-size and for the record I’m the heavy sleeping snorer 😄

Cougar

If you’re going to bed to sleep rather than its other common purpose then do what you need to do, you don’t need validation. Who cares, you’re asleep.

BoardinBob

King sized bed at home

Every night i wake up clinging to the edge like someone ascending El Capitan while the Mrs enjoys acres of empty bed

Cougar

Get out and back in the other side.

When I went to bed last night the OH was corner to corner and two cats had taken up residence, it was like trying to get into bed with a giant percentage sign.

desperatebicycle

Separate houses, or when we stay over, separate beds. We’re both just used to years of being on our own. As Cougar said, if you want to sleep, do what works.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Double bed, king duvet here Both of us struggle to sleep without the other one there. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

This.

STW full of unsociable weirdos, as ever 🤣

footflaps

Massive king size bed and ear plugs.

Both of us struggle to sleep without the other one there.

+1, just doesn’t feel right on my own any more.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Ear plugs would certainly help with the snoring, but not the being punched in the face, wriggling and lack of space.

MoreCashThanDash

King size bed, super king duvet. MrsMC is only 4’10 and only has one working arm/hand, I can just about hold my own.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Have kids. You’ll then be so tired your can sleep standing up let alone next to a wriggler. Although I’ve never had trouble sleeping with the wife.

martinhutch

only has one working arm/hand, I can just about hold my own.

Too much information. 🙂

fossy

Another with a king size bed and I get 20%. I do, however sleep with about 4 pillows due to my dodgy back (broke it) and also shoulders (bike crashes), so tend to have a pillow infront and behind me to support my back and shoulders.

kayak23

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Sharing a bed’ is closed to new replies.