Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Shared family diary
  • Premier Icon Rich_s

Looking for ideas for a shared diary / calendar thingy. I’m the only one who seems to look at and occasionally update our paper calendar so I think it’s time to see if I can get at least 3 of the 5 of us to use an app updating a centralised “thing”.

We have Alexa, including a screen version, if that makes a difference.

I was just thinking of setting up a new Gmail account and its own Google diary – but the thought occurs there might be something else better out there.

Usual kids clubs / pickups / friends houses / etc. 3 phones in the house, 2 android 1 apple. Helpful hints from alexa to the wife saying “you REALLY ought to have set off by now” would be great.

Pointers and recommendations welcome!

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Will changing the technology change people’s lack of interest in completing the diary?

Focus on the problem – No one gives a shit whether you know what they are doing or not, just pick them up / drop them off the moment they tell you and if they wanted it later then they would have asked for it later*

*there may be other or better problem statements

Premier Icon Eyepic
    Free Member

Mrs Eyepic and I share a Time Tree diary.

Free App https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=works.jubilee.timetree&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

We just share our own personal google diaries.

Premier Icon BigJohn

You’ll know when you’ve got it set up and used properly when you hear “I thought you were picking him up” “No, I thought you were”.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

Gmail and calendar will work as you want but it won’t solve anything.

My wife and I have a shared diary using Gmail. Mrs brain fills it, because its filled with things that don’t concern me I dismiss all the notifications without reading them. This is broadly what happened pre shared diary.

What is the problem you’re trying to fix?

Premier Icon Rich_s

Gosh, what a profound range of answers.

What I need is a way of making sure that me & her have access to the same emails / notices / notifications in order that we can coordinate whatever the kids are up to. Like in a diary or something.

It’d be nice for the diary to auto populate so I’m still thinking Gmail but I like the look of that Time Tree.

We need the schools and clubs to use a central mailbox for us as well. We have occasionally missed things for #1’s new school due to them emailing him (which is actually my address) or mum (who is set up as parent). And neither of us appreciating the other hadn’t had it.

This is part of a bigger battle, of course, so it’s also a way of me organising the domestics while swmbo stores away things in her head. After 15 years she’s not going to change, so this is a decent way around the issue and I can get the kids to use it (6 year old this morning realised we’d run out of yoghurt and put some on the shopping list via alexa!).

Plan b is to get a divorce – can anyone recommend an app for that?

Premier Icon pedlad

cozi.com

Premier Icon MrOvershoot

Is it going to have an auto delete function for any mention of camping 😉

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

What I need is a way of making sure that me & her have access to the same emails / notices / notifications in order that we can coordinate whatever the kids are up to. Like in a diary or something.

Google calender or Apples iCal can be shared for multiple users. Simple and free.

Plan b is to get a divorce – can anyone recommend an app for that?

Tinder, or I think Asian singles was advertised here for a while.

Premier Icon scuttler

I pay for Cozi. Works well and most importantly can overlay into my work Outlook.

Premier Icon pandhandj
    Free Member

I read the other day that Amazon, and therefor Bezos are developing a thing called “talking to each other”!

Might be just what the OP is looking for?

Premier Icon db

Why not just set up a new shared gmail and give that to the school? Use the calendar and if you want share the new mails calendar with your personal accounts? Like having a joint bank account you both use.

Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

I genuinely thought this was going to be a heart warming tale of a family sharing their innermost thoughts and life experiences leading to bonding on a spiritual level.

Nope. Admin.

Iz dissapoint.

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Apparently Bumble is where it’s at these days.

However, I met the future ‘Mrs B version 2.0’ on Tinder.

As for a diary…..dunno….don’t have kids would be my advice.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

We have a family calendar hanging up in the kitchen. If its not on that calendar, it’s not happening.

It’s worked for 18 years, kids have never been late or not picked up.

Premier Icon Cougar

I looked into this at length a few years ago.

My knowledge may now be out of date, but the answer at the time by a country mile was Google Calendar. The primary account can host multiple (ie, personal / shared) calendars and contributors could do likewise with theirs. It’s cross-platform, works on Android / Windows / iDevices.

It’s worked for 18 years, kids have never been late or not picked up.

You sat that but how many have you still got?

Premier Icon sirromj

LOL WCA speaketh the truth.

Premier Icon fasthaggis

We have a family calendar hanging up in near the kitchen. If its not on that calendar, it’s not happening.

It’s worked for 18 22 years, kids have never been late or and only not picked up twice*.

* yes it was my fault,and yes they don’t let me forget it.
    For meal plans,shopping lists and general 2do stuff,we also have a proper old school whiteboard system going on beside the calender .When the kids were wee they used to highlight important things on the lists with Lego figures(blutacked at the side).If they come home now ,they still check out what’s on ‘the board’ 🙂

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

My knowledge may now be out of date, but the answer at the time by a country mile was Google Calendar. The primary account can host multiple (ie, personal / shared) calendars and contributors could do likewise with theirs. It’s cross-platform, works on Android / Windows / iDevices.

After around 10 years of sharing a calendar with my other half I have settled on a separate account we can both use purely for the purpose of sharing. Sharing a calendar linked to your main account works fine until Apple, Google or Microsoft (we use all three on one device or another) update something or decide to be awkward with users of another platform and it causes a headache to sort. With the shared calendar as a separate entity my headaches have reduced to zero (though I have probably cursed myself)

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

iCloud has the ability to have shared calendars. I expect google has the same. https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en

All you need to do is just ‘add person’ and everyone has read/write access.

been very good for coordinating family events when we’ve put things in in a timely fashion.

I have this ‘family’ calendar, my ‘home’ calendar, and one connected to doodle.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

You say that but how many have you still got?

Still got two. I’m assuming they are the correct two….

Premier Icon nedrapier

We’ve got a year planner in Google sheets, tabs for each year going back 10 years. Same “if it’s not in the calendar is not happening” deal. Shortcut on phone and bookmark on laptop.

Nice to be able to zoom out on a laptop or monitor and see the shape of the next few months, find the best week for a week or two’s holiday. Some important work stuff goes in, like board meetings or travel that would affect taking time off or family time..

Premier Icon phil56

@Rich_s

When the kids were at home we used an app called (unimaginatively) FamCal. I’ve no idea if it’s the best option, but it worked well for us

Premier Icon Rich_s

Thanks for the tips. I’ve set up a shared Gmail box and calendar, and put it on Alexa. That’s progress so far! I’ll have a look at the apps next.

Also mooting a huge blackboard painted on the walls of the dining room!

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

Why are people still sharing Google calendars?

Google have this sorted more than anyone IMHO.

We have a google household. Everyone has a google account. They are linked into a family of which Myself and Mum are administrators. This gives us control over what apps the kids use. Ability to locate them via their phones. We all play music from the same Youtube Music subscription. We all have access to smart home apps and controls and personalized results from Google Home. And finally (although i have probably forgotten half of the stuff) we get a family calendar that we can all access that is seperate from our individual ones that no-one has to share or manage.

Premier Icon Tenuous
    Free Member

https://families.google.com/families

Comes with an automatic shared family calendar (along with all the other benefits Trailwagger mentions)

Premier Icon benp1

We’re an apple household (kids are too young for phones yet, although their friends all have them)

Have a shared family calendar through apple. Works a treat, can’t see the point in a paper calendar. Wife was a convert fairly early on despite preferring a paper one

Premier Icon Cougar

Apple, Google or Microsoft (we use all three

If you’re using Outlook for home email for some barmy reason, have a look at gSyncit.

Why are people still sharing Google calendars?

Well, I’m not anymore. I had a partner upgrade a couple of years ago and whilst she’s otherwise highly intelligent she has the technical aptitude of a punnet of strawberries. The ‘families’ thing didn’t exist when I set all that up years ago, it looks like they’ve come on some ways.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

If you’re using Outlook for home email for some barmy reason, have a look at gSyncit.

I will be back to look for this if I have to in the future. For now I’m happily leaving it as is, working in native apps on all platforms

Premier Icon Rich_s

From what I read, Google family doesn’t have a dedicated email address? That’s one of the things I think we need – emails from clubs or school etc to come in centrally for us both (and in future all).

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.