• This topic has 118 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Shared Access (House) Being Blocked With A Fence
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tell him to get **** it’s not up to that prick when or how you and your neighbours use that access

damageandy
    Free Member

If he clearly does not care you only really have three options
    1) legal route
    2) smash it down – cleverly
    3) let him get away with it.

Cougar

Not sure what you’re getting at really, probably just being a **** for the sake of it, but yeah some are great.

Don’t be grumpy. It’s a Hitch-Hiker’s Guide joke / reference that you’ve missed.

simondbarnes

Just store the wheelie bins outside the front of the house

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I assume the access way across the back is right next to the houses? Could an alternative solution be that everyone agrees to forfeit the bottom metre of their gardens so a shared alleyway with fencing and gates into each individual properties can be built? Of course, with you at the far end, you’d lose nothing.. 😉

monksie
    Free Member

No option to leave the bins out front. We live on quite a steep hill and the front doors open out on to the road. Albeit a very quiet road but a near single track road. Cars trying to negotiate past each other, rather than one waiting for the other to clear the narrow road is sometimes quite the spectacle. Bin day usually results in chaos as it is.
    I think I’m the youngest on the row. It does sometimes feel like OAP central.
    Clearly this situation can’t remain. The man is a bully of the highest order.

Yes. The access path is right outside the back door. There are Some very elderly people. Covid is proving very challenging for a few already. This is distressing them even more.

The damn fence needs another gate on ‘our’ side if not flattening completely! This can’t carry on.

Harry_the_Spider

I take it back. Pay someone to beat the ***k out of him.

Tracey

Local press and radio always love a good story, have you been in touch with them, especially if the elderly are been disadvantaged.
    You could always chain yourself to the fence when they come out for photos.😉

oldschool

I hate bullies, I’d be having a competition with him. Who can be the biggest dickhead. And as my wife pointed out, when it comes to it. “You’ll always win a dickhead competition”.

I’d be pulling it down, whilst pretending I thought it was a gate.
    Waking him numerous times a night to ‘just nip out’
    Lashing bin over and spilling contents, then walk thorough second gate as if everything is normal.
    Lifting pane out and accidentally snapping concrete base board every time. (They’re weak as piss if pushed from the side, especially with no wait on top)
    Standing all over plants as I ‘stumble’ over the concrete base board

Wind him up more than he’s winding you up.

kcal

Jesus H Chirst monksie. Sounds rubbish.
    I thought we needed up with a tool of a grumpy and rather odd neighbour when we were in an end terrace house, but this is a whole different level. You have my sympathies.

Onzadog
    Free Member

This really does suck. I want to come and pull the fence down for you.

ads678

Don’t be grumpy. It’s a Hitch-Hiker’s Guide joke / reference that you’ve missed

Ah fair enough, I’ve never read or seen it. Although I do use the answer 42 a fair bit….

Cougar

I hate bullies, I’d be having a competition with him. Who can be the biggest dickhead.

I have a zero tolerance policy with bullies (which will probably get me killed one day) and am a firm believer in “fight bastard with bastard.”

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

After reading your last post re. the elderly people getting distressed over the situation, I retract my post – as has been said, use every legal option available and screw the bully over good and proper.

burko73

There must be some legal aid charity or someone who’ll help? Citizens advice worth a call? Free legal advice service?

It’s aN open and shut case if it’s on yours and neighbours deeds I would imagine.

longmover
    Free Member

I have a D10 parked up at the moment its a great machine for taking down unwanted fences with, I can float it to you, would cost more than the legal fees though.

Seriously, could all the other residents chip in and have a solicitor write a letter stating the legal implications of blocking access? Do the deeds state you should have unrestricted access through the garden, if they do knock on his door at at any time of day to request he takes the fence down and let you through.

Greybeard
    Free Member

High Peak council were not interested

Really, this is the door you need to be kicking down. Make them interested, it’s their job

I don’t think that’s correct, unfortunately. If it were a public footpath, yes, it’s their job, but this is a private right of access based on the deeds and I don’t think the council have any powers to intervene.

ctk
    Free Member

I think a gate would be more secure than an easily removed fence panel.

jam-bo

Update (now I’ve been reminded). The guy has now decided that he is going to remove a fence panel at 8:00am each weekday morning so that we can step over the concrete base to get in and out and he’s going to put the fence panel back at 8:00pm each week day evening.

You should explain how a gate works. It’ll blow his mind…

spooky_b329

The easiest option might be to corner the fencing guy, and slip him the extra cash to put the extra gate in. Combi lock for the 9 houses, the loser on the first house doesn’t need the combination as he has no right to access any of your gardens.

BadlyWiredDog

He sounds mental. Our neighbours have a right of access up the side of our house and across our backyard. We stuck a gate on the drive and use a combination lock. We put their bins out for them. Our car gets moved if they need access for bigger things. We’re happy, they’re happy and their toddler can’t sneakily get out and into the road.

It may not be fair, but have you considered clubbing together and offering to pay for a second gate? It might not be fair or right, but it would be a lot less hassle. Stick combination locks on both and agree that people won’t cross his garden frivolously. The thing with the fence panel just sounds insane. Offering to pay for the gate might even shame him into doing it himself, though probably not.

ps: My advice would be to move to Glossop, which ime is altogether more civilised and less full of massive idiots :-/

duncancallum

I’d just call him a ****. And keep stealing his fence panels

If hes planning to lift it out after those hours I’d just keep getting him to do that every night 1025 and every morning 0630

trail_rat
    Free Member

Am I missing something.. he fitted a gate at the opposite end of fence as to where it was…..shown by 9 other gates and fences ….so he is a bit dim.

Just pull the bin down his garden and when challenged ask how he expected this to go ?

Cougar

it’s their job, but this is a private right of access based on the deeds and I don’t think the council have any powers to intervene.

Maybe. Isn’t there some sort of legal right to refuse collection though?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Isn’t there some sort of legal right to refuse collection though?

Maybe. But I think it will be the householder’s duty to put the bin where there’s public access. On the other hand, it would be interesting to know whether the access rights for the householder apply to themselves only, or whether they can permit others access to their property. Such as visitors … or bin collectors?

I suspect, though, if the OP was able to give the bin collectors permission to use the access, but it was blocked, they would just say “not our problem, mate”.

Cougar

Hmm.

I’m assuming that the bins get taken out to a communal area on collection day. Which is going to be a problem if they can’t get them there.

The bin men won’t care and certainly won’t be going out of their way to find it. If the bin isn’t available for collection it’ll get recorded as ‘not out’ and they’ll go on their merry way (source: I used to work in a council office and had daily dealings with them). My back yard is open but if the bins are up near the house rather than dragged about the length of a garage up to the back street they won’t (can’t?) take them.

There must be something here they can use as leverage though, surely?

This isn’t a thread like the Iran / Palestine / etc troll of a few years back is it? (-:

monksie
    Free Member

Haha! Just back from a glorious day at the beach and….. the concrete base for the offending panel has gone as well!
    Help The Aged UK or some such charity stepped in and also, somebody’s Grandson “came in his van. He’s a builder” and “Oooh, it was a carry on”.

Fingers crossed this is the end of it. I’m guessing what happened. Hope it worked. I’m guessing the Grandson is bigger that the idiot.

Too stressful for me, all this. I’ll have a look at Glossop.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Result!

Time to focus on the locks…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d imagine if the bully has been told what’s what by someone larger, there may be no locks. Let’s hope the gate doesn’t make too much noise with all that coming and going.

fooman

Here’s how I’d deal with it.
    fence
    Glad it sounds like it’s sorted.

monksie
    Free Member

The gate on his side is actually blowing in the wind. I can see it from my back door. I wonder if the latch has been removed so he can’t lock it?
    It’s a shame theres still two rows of bright orange fence panels spoiling the garden views. It otherwise backs on to fields.
    I think I might get a solicitor to write to him. Hopefully this will be the end of it.
    What a carry on indeed.
    Now then. My locks…..
    Edit: That fence video is hilarious. 😂

Cougar

I think I might get a solicitor to write to him. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

I really don’t know why you’re not doing this as a neighbourhood group. Aside from anything else you’d only be paying for 1/9th of a lawyer.

monksie
    Free Member

Most of the neighbours are around 110 years old.* This was the worst of it, to be fair. Some of them were really getting worked up about it. I’d be happy to sort this bit out. The old boy next door but one was in the tanks in the war. He’s very quiet. A real gentleman in every sense of the word. A complete opposite of the clown on the far end.
    I’ll see if I can find out what went on today and who the agency that have been were up to and what their involvement was. Seems like I missed some entertainment.

*Or somewhere near.

binners

It’s a shame theres still two rows of bright orange fence panels spoiling the garden views.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

One injustice down, one to go (the bike lock)!

Dickyboy

Tossers like the ops neighbour need every bit of grief that comes their way, I’d volunteer some helmet testing against his new fence in the style of the video up there.

jekkyl

Great thread Monksie, very entertaining 😆 although not for you.

unovolo
    Free Member

Situations like this is when Colin Furzes Potato Cannon would come in handy.

tdog
    Free Member

I would use my initiative.

end of thread!

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Shared Access (House) Being Blocked With A Fence’ is closed to new replies.