Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Share my excitement ….new (to me) car on the way! Golf 2.0 TDI Match Bluemotio
  • cjr61

Finally motorway commutes will be comfy and far more refined!

Anyone use an iPhone 5c with 2012 golf. Any special connectors to run with MDI system? best iPhone mount? Anyone retrofitted a satnav into the dash?

Anyway chuffed to bits!

Rock on and happy trails

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If you’re excited about a Bluemotion VW car you need to take a long hard look for your testicles.

fasthaggis

guitarhero earlier 😛

DezB
    Free Member

guitarhero earlier

the brown thing under his nose being debris from Clarkson’s arse.

cjr61

haha…hey it’s a step up from a banger ford focus!

iolo
    Free Member

For many here unless it’s a T5 they couldn’t care less about VW.
    Good choice of car by the way. Enjoy.

fasthaggis

OP
    The i-phone should be plug and play ( with the right lead )I would have thought.

cjr61

Thanks iolo….it may not be a T5 but i’m a happy camper!

jamj1974

Enjoy!

hora
    Free Member

Finally motorway commutes will be comfy and far more refined!

TBH if I had a long commute a VW TDI would be welcome- well damped and not bad engines TBH.

Not sure I could get too excited but I’d be looking forward to it.

OP- why not look at getting a aftermarket double-din touch screen digital radio unit? It’d be about £400-450 but you can take it between cars.

That’d be awesome for a long commute.

I used to get out of my MX5 half-crackers after a long drive. Sooo tiring.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve got a ’61 plate – good little car with plenty of toys. You should have got the touch screen head unit in which case it has a USB/iPhone port in the arm rest (you’ll need the correct cable).
    Plug the phone in and you’ll have control from either the wheel or head unit. We actually have a USB hard drive plugged in with all our music on and then connect the phone to the head unit via bluetooth for calls and Spotify.
    Personlly plugging the phone into the car is the last option I’d use but fine for my daughters whose phones aren’t paired with the car.

Re sat nav – I really wouldn’t bother. Lots of hassle and would poss mess with the canbus system. I just use navfree on the phone and the audio is sent to the car via bluetooth – works great.

The amount of kit you get on a Match is usually excellent – I’m currently looking for a SH german car that new costs 2.5x as much as a the Golf and it comes with almost nothing in the way of toys 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Actually (I dont know what its like with VW’s)- is there a theft risk etc with their higher end head units?

peterfile
    Free Member

You’ll want one of these.

Tune2Air

Connect it to where your iphone would plug in to, then your phone will automatically connect to it whenever you get in the car.

cjr61

Awesome advice all, thanks.

Yeah, the Match is really well specced. Perhaps i’ll stick with Nav on the phone. Therefore any advice for a sleek built in iPhone 5c holder?

Are the Brodit ones any good?

Cheers

tonyg2003

A new (to you) car is always “shiny new toy” exciting. Enjoy your newly relaxing commute.

I’d agree that given how good Tomtom or phones are these days I probably wouldn’t bother with installing a sat nav which can be very expensive (I’d done it before in a Merc).

hora
    Free Member

Oh and pics please in some rural setting.

cjr61

Yes, 25k motorway per year is suddenly going to be a little more bearable!

cjr61

Hora…i’m not sprawling my body over the bonnet for one of those photoshoots! 😯

stumpy01

Regarding the music side of things – does it have a USB port? If so, just get a decent sized memory stick (one of the ones that is barely bigger than the usb plug itself) and stick all your music onto that.

I have done that with my Wife’s Ibiza and it works fine.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes – the Brodit ones are good.

Rachel

molgrips
    Free Member

I felt the same when I went from my bangernomical Passat to the current one (was 3yo at the time). My 2.5 hour trip was a joy that week. Ignore the boy racers – there is a lot of pleasure to be had from comfy cruising and remember – car appreciation like many other things is relative.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You’ll want one of these.

Tune2Air
    Not needed at all Bluetooth does the lot.

is there a theft risk etc with their higher end head units?

Each unit is coded to the canbus system of that car so you need the code for it to work in another car.

OP: Forgot to say, the head unit would also have an SD card slot so music can be fed from:
    SD card
    USB hard drive/stick
    Wired ipod
    Wired MP3 player
    Wired iPhone
    Bluetooth phone

no shortage of options!

cjr61

Excellent. 32GB USB flash will be loaded and ready to go for collection on Thursday.

Which leads me to my next post….When collecting a nbew car do you have a particular track to drive home to? Bit of ACDC perhaps?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think you need to match the music to the car – so for a Bluemotion Golf The Nolans might be good 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

Not needed at all Bluetooth does the lot.

That’s interesting. Why do they bother installing the MDI system if you can just stream from your iphone via bluetooth?

I’ve got a vag group car with the same system and whilst the calls come through a separate bluetooth system, it won’t stream audio, hence the tune2air was invented. I think it’s possible with the top end MMI without a adapter. To be honest, I was quite surprised when I bought the car that I could stream the audio for calls but not media, without needing an adapter.

jp-t853

I currently have the same spec car and it is a great place to be.

As you are planning I have loads of music loaded on a 32gb usb stick that plugs in to the arm rest. You may want to manually sort the music in to folders that make sense for you rather than the itunes default. It is good to know it as always loaded and does not drain phone battery.

I then connect the phone by bluetooth and just use it for calls, the VW system is really great in this respect with the touch screen interface. I also use the phone for sat nav duties so just have a cheap ebay vent mount.

cjr61

Thanks all

hora
    Free Member

Hora…i’m not sprawling my body over the bonnet for one of those photoshoots!

I had a visual image then of roadkill on a bonnet 😯

sharkbait
    Free Member

That’s interesting. Why do they bother installing the MDI system if you can just stream from your iphone via bluetooth?

iPods, other mp3 devices, driver may have phone paired to car but music being played from another phone.

I’ve got a vag group car with the same system and whilst the calls come through a separate bluetooth system

Must be a different head unit from the VW ones.

peterfile
    Free Member

iPods, other mp3 devices, driver may have phone paired to car but music being played from another phone.

Does that mean that you can have your phone paired to the car (for voice calls), but your mate can play music from his by connecting the cable in the MDI? I still can’t seem to find reference anywhere that says your can stream music via bluetooth.

Reason I ask is that a colleague has same car as OP, and wants to stream via bluetooth. I had recommended tune2air to him, but wondering if it’s necessary? He couldn’t get music to stream via bluetooth, only calls.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Does that mean that you can have your phone paired to the car (for voice calls), but your mate can play music from his by connecting the cable in the MDI?

Yep, my eldest always plugs her phone in while mine is connected by BT. Is he challenged?
    When you start the car if the phone is paired the dashboard display will show ‘Connecting [phone name]’ and then ‘Connecting player’.
    Maybe it’s a phone thing – We have iPhones.

edit: just a thought…. your mate may need to tell the phone to play the music via the BT connection.
    Our car isn’t here for a few days otherwise I’d take a pic.
    although this is a US head unit (so no DAB) it should show how to stream.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tmBvrG1JhU[/video]

stumpy01

peterfile – my Wife’s car (Ibiza so a VAG system of some sort) will only do voice call streaming via Bluetooth. You can’t access the music on the phone and stream it to the stereo. Which is quite annoying.

peterfile
    Free Member

sharbait – sorry if I’m being dense…the “connecting player” bit means that you can stream music over bluetooth from your phone? Or does “connecting player” only come on when you connect to the MDI via cable?

My colleague’s car will stream music no bother by connecting it to the cable, but can’t stream media over bluetooth.

EDIT: just looking at your video, thanks. Maybe he’s just got a lower spec of head unit that won’t do bluetooth audio without a third party receiver (like my car).

john_drummer
    Free Member

I can share the OP’s excitement. I’ve recently (i.e. 10 days ago) taken over a new (to me) Ford Kuga. 2011 “11” plate 163 Titanium AWD, and compared to the 2006 Citroen C4 that went before, it’s very nice indeed. Still enjoying it rather than just using it as a tool

sharkbait
    Free Member

the “connecting player” bit means that you can stream music over bluetooth from your phone?

Yes – it’s a bluetooth message.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Enjoy, my Yeti has the bluetooth media sat nav thingy! If your doing 25k on a motorway I would always go for comfort and economy mixed with a nice interior. Can’t go wrong with a new Golf.

bigG
    Free Member

watch what SD card you buy to use with it. VAG head units can be a bit picky about what they speak to. I ended up leaving an old ipod in the car connected to the steroo through the aux in in my glove box but i’m not sure if you’ll have that option

cjr61

32gb usb flash drive ready and car collection tomorrow!!

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’d be happy with anything rather than my vw caddy, so enjoy basking in my jealousy.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Share my excitement ….new (to me) car on the way! Golf 2.0 TDI Match Bluemotio’ is closed to new replies.