Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shane Meadows – This is England etc.
  • RustySpanner

After the Lol/Mick/Combo storyline of ’86, I didn’t think I could cope with any more of this, it was just too much.

I’ve just watched the opener for the new series and it’s amazing.

I don’t think there is a film maker alive who can capture the reality of Britain as truthfully as he does.

As a writer, for me, Meadows is up there with Alan Bleasedale, Harold Brighouse, Keith Waterhouse, Alan Sillitoe, Barry Hines, Bill Forsyth, Alan Bennett and Anthony Burgess.

Not comfortable, not easy, but a god damn, gold plated genius.

Drac

I realised about half way through I’d missed 86 so have no idea who the guy with the beard is or why they’re not friends with Woody anymore.

RustySpanner

Ah, the guy in the beard is Kel & Lol’s dad.

Not Paddy Considine, as I originally thought, but played by an actor called Johnny Harris.

You really need to watch the previous series, but a word to the wise; make sure you’re in a happy place before watching the last episode

duntmatter
    Free Member

a god damn, gold plated genius

+1

I’ve hugely enjoyed everything he’s ever done. Even Once Upon A Time In The Midlands, which Mr Meadows himself is said to be less keen on.

Real, convincing, touching, and satisfying human drama, not Hollywood cartoon explosions.

DezB
    Free Member

I love the natural-ness of the acting. He must just give the actors an outline of the scene and they pretty much make up the dialogue themselves.
    The fashion too: just like me and my mates down Portsmouth Poly in the 80s…

Also love the way Harvey (Michael Socha) is so much like his sister in Misfits!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a film maker alive who can capture the reality of Britain as truthfully as he does.

I’ll take your word for it. Could be mars for all I know.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I didn’t watch it..

To be honest I’m glad those years are way behind me.

stanfree
    Free Member

I loved Woodys banter with his boss which was priceless. You can just bet that after last nights fairly up beat episode things will get dramatically darker. On another note Shane Meadows is to direct the forthcoming Stone Roses documentary.

warton
    Free Member

I think its gonna get very very dark these next few days. There really is nothing better in the way of British TV.

Pieface

From the fashion it still looked like the late 70s / 80s. Maybe there’ll be an acid house explosion in the next couple of episodes.

I think I need to see the previous series again, can’t remember why Woody was out of the loop.

binners

Its bloody brilliant! He reminds me of Mike Leigh. Lets the characters develop naturally. In a similar way, its not all scripted. He gives the actors the chance to ad-lib

The girl who plays Lol was being interviewed and said that Shane Meadows separated her from the rest of the cast while filming this. So that when she was on camera, she was feeling isolated, like her character

Doesn’t necessarily make for comfortable viewing, but I can’t think of anything more watchable

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Doesn’t necessarily make for comfortable viewing, but I can’t think of anything more watchable

yep agreed, brilliant.

stanfree
    Free Member

Shane Meadows is confirmed for ‘This Is England 90’ for next year so surely that would be about Italia 90, Rave and A soundtrack of Madchester Indie tunes. Surely It looks like Its still the early 80’s as Woody is still a mod a few others still skinhead rudeboy style and a couple of punks turned new romantic. I know Acid House kicked off in 87 but It wasn’t really widespread outwith ‘Down Sarf…”.

2tyred

Also love the way Harvey (Michael Socha) is so much like his sister in Misfits!

I didn’t know that until Mrs Tyred pointed it out last night, then couldn’t believe how alike they look! I like the This Is England/Misfits crossover – best things on TV by miles IMO.

Really really enjoyed last night’s. Shane Meadows’ attention to detail is good, but what’s really impressive is the way he captures the atmosphere of the time without relying on big obvious signposts.

The girl who plays Lol was being interviewed and said that Shane Meadows separated her from the rest of the cast while filming this. So that when she was on camera, she was feeling isolated, like her character

Did he not approach the original film by holing the cast up together in a house for ages to allow them to develop relationships with one another? Gave the acting so much more depth.

What was the tune used when Woody went out on his moped? I can’t place it.

yunki
    Free Member

Maybe there’ll be an acid house explosion in the next couple of episodes.

it was still a posh london kid thing in 88 wasn’t it..?

warton
    Free Member

He’s said This is England 1990 will be all about that, and he’s hinted the current storylines will go, to make way for new ones

bigdawg
    Free Member

I remember 88 too well (in fact by coincidence was going out with one of the crew members that has produced the film and subsequent series) – acid house, raves were there but were more east london warehouse parties in 88, hadnt broken through mainstream, and there were still pleny of mods (particularly in london and yorkshire) in 88, as this was where I spent most of my time and new most of them…

Im now feeling very old…..

thomthumb
    Free Member

What was the tune used when Woody went out on his moped? I can’t place it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev7NMv7j6tI[/video]

not this one

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLXEAMfnMBs&feature=related[/video]

specialknees
    Free Member

Fantastic…simply brilliant.
    By coincidence when the last series concluded I had just sat through a Hollywood Blockbuster, Independence Day I think. Then watched the last one of this is England.
    Every single actor in TiE had more talent in their little finger than I had seen in the so-called ‘Blockbuster’.

In UK we really do make some top class stuff (The Exile,Nil-By-Mouth etc )and its not really recognised, then again maybe its the low budget nature that makes it what it is.

2tyred

Thank you thomthumb!

boxfish
    Free Member

Dead Man’s Shoes.

Quality film.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shane Meadows – This is England etc.’ is closed to new replies.