• This topic has 80 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Shall we do a Land Rover thread?
  • Tiger6791

Just bought a 1966 Series 2a

This is ‘Rusty’ and she’ll be rebuild over winter

Riksbar

POIDH!

Tiger6791

First job

Strip the carb as she is running a tad rich

The engineering on these is amazing ( & tiny )

maccruiskeen

Practice the land rover owner’s mantra

“There’s nothing wrong with it. I just needs…….<insert long list>”

EDIT – if you’re taking the picture – who’s that tiny guy in the drivers seat? 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Just bought a 1966 Series 2a

This is ‘Rusty’ and she’ll be rebuilt after 5 years and a divorce

Toddboy
    Free Member

Oh yeah!

Bring it on!

At obvious cost of course, but love the passion of anybody that wants to restore or update a classic.

Keep the forum up to date.

Riksbar

Ahh, the power of the stealth edit 😀
    Try and get everything done whilst keeping the superficial appearance the same!

Tiger6791

Sorry! Flickr on phone switching tabs and having to save

21k (dead genuine, I’m sure)

Super special grill badge – but why?

cranberry
    Free Member

An 88″ 2a – lovely.

My first car was a 1965 2a ex-military.

If I had more time, cash and skill and a place to work on one I’d have one in a shot.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Bookmarked.

It looks to be in good shape. Don’t lose too much of the patina.

I’ve got a soft spot for IIAs. I ran one in Orkney for ten years. In all that time I only overtook one other vehicle. It was a bus I was unaware that was stopping at a bus stop.

trail_rat
    Free Member

This picques my interests

What rnp said

[Img]https://picasaweb.google.com/109184241766091490488/Landrover#6157534448233480786[/img]

That’s trev a 1987 90

Passed his second mot since he was given a second chance at life 2 years ago.

Stoner
    Free Member

*puts hand up for roll call*

matt_outandabout

Googling your reg reveals this:

1966 Landie

Tiger6791

Yeah saw that doing exactly the same.

It’s not gone far in its life, it’s been sat in that spot for the last 6-7 years only ever moving to go get its annual MOT

mattbee

If that was mine I’d definately sort all the structural & mechanical stuff but leave the cosmetics. Got a lovely patina & I think they lose something when over restored with shiny paint jobs.
    I’m hankering after another Series, loved my S111 Airportable.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Badge is special (and incorrect for that year) ‘cos it says Birmingham not Solihull.

</Landynerd>

All the best with the rebuild!

Did my IIa 109 a couple of winters ago on a new chassis, now revisiting for a respray:

welshfarmer

Mine has been back on the road for 4.5 years now. Took a good 12 months to do a complete ground up rebuild/modernisation. Do not underestimate the amount of time and motivation you are going to have to find if you want to do a half decent job of it.

lex666

my hi-cap the chassis is far from good

paul4stones

I used to have a ’61 series 2 like that. Most adventurous thing I did mechanically was changing the rear crankshaft oil seal but that was an engine out job!

scotsman
    Free Member

Is the Puma allowed?

Tiger6791

Do not underestimate the amount of time and motivation you are going to have to find if you want to do a half decent job of it.

It’s not my first time 😉

Is the Puma allowed?

Yep

Tiger6791

Exhaust manifold off this weekend.

No snapped studs! No drilling! Never been known!!

A bit of oil in the inlet so stem seals might want a look

Also popped a new clutch slave in 😀

Speshpaul

That colour on the engine block is often a sign of a army rebuild, and rebuild plates on the block?

Oh nice landy,

Tiger6791

Yep, serial number makes it an ex-mod engine

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stuff coming off easy usually a sign it’s been off recently – ie the last 20 years 🙂

Mines needing transfer box out put seals doing not hard just a pain given time of year.

scotsman
    Free Member

Purchased this with the intention of putting either a Cummins or a 3.2tdci or the BMW M57 lump in it, still undecided, any words of wisdom?

Tiger6791

What’s wrong with the Ford lump?

cozz
    Free Member

get it tuned

I had a intercooler and ECU upgrade by alive tuning, transformed the drive, so much better

cozz
    Free Member

heres my old timer

series 3 1971, with 300 tdi fitted

cozz
    Free Member

and heres my new one – looks a bit different now, but can’t get pics up at the mo

scotsman
    Free Member

Nothing but it needs more power! Regularly tows 3.5t trailer so a little more wouldn’t go a miss and I just fancy doing it.

Tiger6791

Send it off to Wildcat for a LS3

cozz
    Free Member

alive tuning fitted their larger capacity intercooler and eco upgrade, think it was about £1100 puts it up from about 120 bhp to 170 ish

the intercooler upgrade is beneficial if towing (as you prob already know)

they should have left the factory like that

durhambiker
    Free Member

Only a Disco, but it was at least an SVO Commercial. Still miss the stupid money pit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22qsYV]My Discovery Commercial on our “driveway”.[/url] by durhambiker, on Flickr

Pictured here in a rare moment of there being more water outside it than in.

Welshfarmer, is that photo the bomb hole at Strata Florida? If not it looks suspiciously like it.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m sure many of you on this thread will enjoy this…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brrn2k0jW9E[/video]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I wish I still had my IIA.

I bought it whilst Orkney from a farmer who lost heart when a frost plug popped out. Thankfully after purchase and inspection the head was unwarped. I replaced the plug and head gasket and all was good again.

The farmer had changed the wings for the Series 3 type in a bid to modernise it. Thankfully he’d saved the grille panel and grille. I found some series 2 wings and returned the headlamps to the centre panel.

I switched the hardtop for one with a double skinned safari roof found in the local paper. It was originally on the Papa Westray airport Land Rover. One end of the worlds shortest scheduled flights. I went back there with the roof on mine and everyone recognised it

northernerindevon

Ooooh, I loves a Landy thread. Some lovely examples on here. I’ll throw mine into the mix:

Ex-military 90 running a Turner Engineering 300Tdi and a few other bits and pieces uprated. I wouldn’t be without it.

scud
    Free Member

Posted these on McMoonters thread, but then spotted this, so there may be some people that i might appreciate the biggest beast they did (I think), 101 Forward Control.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iLLqPh]3[/url] by Scud75, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iLJbvQ]2[/url] by Scud75, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iLLr5h]1[/url] by Scud75, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

scud wins thread.

seems my last photo didnt work…… need to migrate from picasa/google photos – they suck …… advice ?

that should be trev. built to look stock at a glance , mildly tweeked 200tdi high turbo from a defender in there with +5 shocks and all associated goodies (arms , moved shock mounts , , flexies and towers , dislocation cones/catchers) with a 2 inch lift sitting on 235/85/r16s on wolfs. ) I do how ever appreciate greately the LED light kit after years of having to **** around with bad connections on the old lucas/wipac units and having the fear of being rear ended to – never having had an issue since.

scud
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    scud wins thread.

She was a bit of a beast, nicknamed “Spanky”, the fuel pump had a bit of a glitch and would just cut out, so we had the pump sitting on top of the engine hatch between the two seats, and each time it cut out it was down to the front seat passenger to hit it with a spanner.

Started life as an ex-army GS model, gradually welded on the roof-rack and made the “swing-aways” to carry two spare wheels, added rack down nearside to take 6 jerry cans and changed the Range Rover 3.5 lump that came in to a Perkins diesel. Great piece of kit and broke my heart when we had to leave it in Cape Town

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Shall we do a Land Rover thread?’ is closed to new replies.